16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:43 am  Reply with quote

So when do I get my statue?
mdoerner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
Mike Doerner,

[Text Deleted]

Thanks for the suggestion...something else to try with my newfound free time. That would kill 2 birds with one stone, as I'd welcome slightly less OAL for my Win Mod12 which, although 2 3/4 chambered, is finicky about ejecting. I've toyed with the idea, but was hesitant to tweak my press. Can you shorten the cases 1/8" and get the necessary adjustments to a MEC9000 without actually making a "modification?"

If you don't want to go the MEC short kit route, you could look up on Precision Reloading's web site about a shell holder that attaches to the bottom of the hull that gives you the height differential when running the shells through the press. Not sure if it's recommended for the 9000 though (I'd imagine it screws up the auto-prime). Besides, wasn't the Model 12 originally set up for 2-1/2" 20 Gauge shells? If your gun already like the Remingtons, shortening them shouldn't affect ejection.

Mike Doerner
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Do they make a short kit for progressive reloaders? I thought they were only available for single stage loaders....

Jeff
mdoerner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Doh! You're right Jeff. I guess that leaves the shell holders, which may be a pain in the arse on a progressive. It was worth a shot.

Mike Doerner
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:52 am  Reply with quote

The shell holders will work best on the older 761 and 762 series Grabbers. These older models had no shell retaining fence until station 4. This makes it easy to remove the shell from station 2 and put a holder on it at station 3, the first station you will need one.

The new series have a riveted on hoop shaped plate to retain the shells. Its tougher to remove a shell and reinsert it with a shell holder in place over this plate. It can still be done though. You need four shell holders and can rotate them as the come off station 6. So yes, they will work on a Grabber.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:46 am  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
Do they make a short kit for progressive reloaders? I thought they were only available for single stage loaders....

Jeff

I reload 2-1/2" and 2-9/16" shells on my MEC Grabber. You don't need a shell holder or a short kit. The reloader can be adjusted for these shells with no problem. You do however, have to re-adjust when you go back to the standard 2-3/4" hulls.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
we were posting at the same time. What is the source of your 2 1/2 and 2 9/16 hulls? Factory originals or did you trim?

thanks, Mike
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:52 am  Reply with quote

So, Guys.......suppose I wanted to set up a new single stage press dedicated to short shells......what would you recommend?

Mike, I would go with the MEC Sizemaster. Great machine, I have 2 of them.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Mike,

My 2-9/16" hulls are from ARMUSA, I have about 2000 of these hulls.
My 2-1/2" hulls are the new Cheddite hulls from BP.
I have not trimmed any 16 gauge hulls yet, because I have a good supply. I do however trim 10 gauge 3-1/2" hulls down to 2-7/8" for my 10 bore Parker.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:22 am  Reply with quote

I'd go with the Sizemaster today fitted with a short kit. Two reasons why:

1. A short kit will make it very easy to swap back and forth from 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 specialty loads no problem.

2. Today's 16 ga ammo has steel rims. Brass is not used anymore. the adjustable collet sizer is manditory to adequately squeeze these steel rims back to factory spec. Ring sizers won't do it well.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
I started cutting down hulls to shoot in my 65mm chambered '23 A5. That's 2 9/16"......I found that it gives me a lot of leeway on 7/8 oz loads. Jeff

Jeff is absolutely right on!!!

The Remington black hull also has much thicker walls than anything else I've found out there. Still I cringe when I hear 20 gauge wads.. I am not one to engineer in half you know what......
Yet hull life with the black hull can be questionable..... Remington skives the daylights out of these thick-walled hulls right down to a razor's edge, and it seems my quicker hull failures usually start with a small mouth tear in the paper thin area at the front of a crease which quickly becomes a full length split.....
I trim ALL MY REM BLACK HULLS TO 2 9/16" NOW! I find I have a double win as 7/8oz and PB powder fit perfectly with the R-16 wad SANS ANY CARDS OR CEREAL OF YOUR CHOICE!! Then too, my hull life has increased significantly as well! The thicker mouth gains substanial strength and I have some go past 6 reloads still in decent shape.
These slightly shorter loads function as good if not better in my 16 repeaters... Rem 31, Rem 870, Win 97.... I don't have a Model 12, but the ol' 97's take them without a bobble!
So far I have shimmed my Mec crimp stations. My plans were to order another bar (pedestal bar) and weld-up and re-drill the 2 3/4" mounting hole then tap for a new 2 9/16" position. Now I think I'll see first if I can get enough adjustment as Dave M. said he does!

This works S O O O well for me that I now size, then trim to 2 9/16", all my once fired Remington factory loads...

Slidehammer
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:43 am  Reply with quote

You are right about the over skiving Remington does. I think its so, because they do not forsee these hulls being reloaded much, and it speeds up production. Time is money to them. They used to not skive them as much several years ago. I have several hundred green express shells I've saved for hunting loads. These hulls are thicker at the mouth and last a long time. I use them up for fun stuff after they are retired from hunting loads.

I get about 4 or so reloads out of my once fired black empties. I just ignore any minor splits until they get past the crimp rolled edge much. This is of course on recreational ammo. I only use once fired hulls for any and all hunting ammo. Its not worth it to risk wounding a bird rather than killing it clean due to a questionable load. Clay targets don't feel a thing.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:43 am  Reply with quote

When you cut back a Remington black hull and get that stiff thick wall up into the crimp, the crimp memory can make it real hard to fig the G wads. I give them a gutck skive/mouth stretch with a rounded grinding stone in my hand drill. I can skive about 10 a minute so it goes fast.

any favorite recipes for 2 1/2" remington black hulls? I find the loads in the low pressure group can work well but are a bit light to cycle this 85 year old repeater...

Jeff
Equismith
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

bump

Miss Libby