16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New to 16 ga reloading
casebro
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
casebro , apparently you have never experienced this before . .... .

And I guess neither have hundreds of other shooters either.

Oh, I do know that some powder can get past the powder cup on the bottom of the wad. I jusy think it would need to be about a whole grain to make a bigger difference than having the hull not filled up with powder,wad, and shot.

I told everybody upthread that my batch this week was 50% bloopers. I've got a dozen left that need to be disassembled. I'll go cut windows in the sides, and see how much powder I can shake out of the wad crumple zone. PITA, and the hulls are only twice fired, so I'll do just a few.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
casebro
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

okay, I cut some apart. Rem SP16 in Cheddite 2 1/2', 18gr Green Dot. I'm trying to figure out how to use those wads in Cheddites w/10z loads. The fit is loose enought that they rattle, like keep a baby entertained. 50% bloopers.

First three had a countable number of flakes- like 6 or 14, in the wad's crumple zone. Next one, a whole 10 grains of powder forward of the cup. #5, back to countable.

So I did some thinking about what you said, carrying them around makes it worse. So I grabbed a couple, and shook them for a few minutes. Keep in mind they already had been to the range and back in the truck, and in the bags for a round of 25 clays. One was countable flakes, one was several grains, like 6-8.

I suspect that the less-than-capacity load allows the wad to get pushed back and forth by the shot, acting to pump the air around, blowing powder into the dead space. Light loads for the wad/hull combo would be worse.

I'll still try the 20gr 1 oz load tomorrow. They barely rattle. (I'll bring my wad knocker too) If it still makes bloopers, I'll try the max powder load (19?) behind 1 1/8 oz.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

OR put one or two Cheerios in the wad before you put in the shot

Smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
casebro
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
OR put one or two Cheerios in the wad before you put in the shot

Smile

Mike

For more discussion on my wads, http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21361

A couple pinto beans would work too, but PITA when loading. But notice that fillers are to um fill, to keep the load tight in the hull,.

I want to keep it simple when loading. Different powder maybe, more shot maybe, then pump them out.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Then you will have to get the correct wad for what you want to do.
Good luck
Mike
casebro
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Then you will have to get the correct wad for what you want to do.
Good luck
Mike

I already have the correct wad for what I want to do. $200 worth of them. Now I just have to figure how to do that which I desire, with them.

Dmc
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

I use clays for 12 ga, both 1oz and 1 1/8. I use 20/28 for my 28 ga reloads. I purchased the universal after seeing the published loads from Hodgens web site.

I’ve been saving the herters hulls and have several hundred of them. They are the only hulls I have.

It’s not really a big deal as I only purchased 500 of the claybuster wads to try out. If they are a problem I can always save them for another Hull. I’m only out about $20.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:50 am  Reply with quote

casebro , I guess 6-10 grains of powder past the op cup , laying in the crush section might cause bloopers . Rolling Eyes
casebro
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I'm back from the trap range. 26 shots fired, same as the 'blooper' load except 2 more grains of powder. NO bloopers. Only 14 of 25, but the 16 ga model 12 is too light fro big guy like me, for trap. I use it as a Clays gun, a Heavy Duck in 12ga is my usual Trap gun.

So, my take-away form all this is that a full hull does not allow powder to get above the wad cup., no matter the wad/hull combination. A full hull is mandatory for a good crimp too.

But I've been having Cheddites stick in the chambers. Like Win Promos stick in new 870s. And by cutting a fired hull in half, I can see that it's NOT the steel base that sticks, sine the back half falls out. Looking closely at a hull, I see a black ring around the mouth, where the rim of the crimp was. I'm going to try a smaller diameter "crimp plunger". And maybe adjust the crimp taller, less folds inside pushing outwards to stretch the hull OD.

I'm loading on a Hornady 366 that I made dies and shell holder in 16 for. Perhaps I guessed wrong on the plunger diameter?

Another shooter today had extraction probs on the bottom barrel of his 12ga. Federal ammo, I could see that the outside ribs were gone from a ring around the front end of his hulls. Methinks cheap hulls are made from soft plastic. His gun ate a different brand a lot better. Too bad in 16 ga, Cheddites are the only game in town.

Griffon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Think you hit the missing part of the equation. Most M12 guys at our club don't shoot ched. hulls because they stick . Base rims are smaller, extractors don't seem to like them. These guys are shooting Federals and RGLs. Don't think I'd spend a lot of money of ched components until I got some feedback from M12 owners.

casebro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Think you hit the missing part of the equation. Most M12 guys at our club don't shoot ched. hulls because they stick . Base rims are smaller, extractors don't seem to like them. These guys are shooting Federals and RGLs. Don't think I'd spend a lot of money of ched components until I got some feedback from M12 owners.

Feds and Fiochiis stick too. And what did you think was the reason I posted here?

Anyways, I did use a slit dowel with a strip of sand paper. The 4 slits allowed the dowel to taper to match the chamber. It worked, the paper was dirty it's whole width. 150grit until the waves on the left side were gone, then 320 for a finish. Aluminum oxide wear quickly, final polish ends up done with superfine grits. Like a mirror now/again. And the waves on the left side are gone.

Tommorrow is my Clay's day. we'll see.

Griffon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

Don't really know you rambled on so long I lost interest. Short attention span I guess.

Dmc
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

My dies showed up from Ponsness Warren today. So of coarse I started trying to get everything set up.

I was planning on starting off with around 21-22 grains of universal, 1oz shot, and cheddite hulls. I tried waa16 and Sg16 wads.

I’m still fairly new to reloading so I sacrificed a few hulls trying to get the crimp somewhat decent.

The powder die was throwing around 21.5 grains so that was good enough, but my crimps looked like crap and were dished pretty bad. So I fiddled with the crimp more and finally just went with 1-1/16 oz of shot. These looked good with the sg16 wads, still looked like crap with the claybuster wads.

I didn’t make many, about 10. I’m shooting on Wednesday, thought I’d give them a try. Will the extra 1/16 oz cause terrible problems in my old model 12?
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Should not
Please give us a report when shot
Thank
Mike

Dmc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:36 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Should not
Please give us a report when shot
Thank
Mike

The 1 1/16 oz loads all shot and ejected fine.

I think I’ll go ahead and make up a few boxes and give them another try. I used 71/2 sized shot, think I’ll also try some 8.

The hulls were originally all 8 shot and 1165 FPS from Herters.

I shot 10 each of the 21.5 and 22.5 universal powder, and 5 of the 1 oz loads. Seemed to be clean burning.

All shot thru my model 12.