16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody else?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Anybody else here tired of waking up each morning and NOT going hunting?

[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52482_512x768/] [/URL]]
[/img]

hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:44 am  Reply with quote

Yes, and it was 57 degrees this morning. Got me thinking of fall.
nwmac
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 am  Reply with quote

I've been working out at the club, shooting sporting clays to keep the skills up. This week has been tough in the Pacific Northwest with all the smoke from wild fires. The experts claim its like smoking a pack a day if you are outside. Weather is starting to clear, may be good for the weekend and another round of clays!
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 am  Reply with quote

I m getting pin feathery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supposed to be 94 today!!

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:51 am  Reply with quote

22 days and a wakeup for grouse opener in Michigan. I don’t think woodcock opens until the 22nd of September. It has been 55 the last two mornings here on the WI/IL border and the dogs are getting good work.

Unfortunately they are calling for high 80’s to low 90’s in the next few days. Up where I hunt it is getting down to the low 50’s overnight, so hunting weather is slowly creeping up on us.

You must hate getting up every day and being forced look out at those mountains. I will probably be out your way this coming Spring to pick up a pup.

Good Hunting,
Mike
nwmac
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:57 am  Reply with quote

Yes, its cabin fever in the middle of summer with temps in the high 80's. Visibility since Sunday has been 1/4 mile at best. Like a thick fog that burns your eyes and the back of your throat. However it will clear and grouse and dove season opens in less than two weeks. Using the time to get gear ready, clean the guns, and plan those first outings.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 am  Reply with quote

YES!!!!!

Here is my wish............Retire to NE or SD or WY or ND or MT tomorrow and be ready for the opener!!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Forced to look at those mountains? I wish I could see them. Right now I want to round up every person who ever supported the Sierra Club and drop them into a compound inside of the fires. The smoke is intolerable.

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Forced to look at those mountains? I wish I could see them. Right now I want to round up every person who ever supported the Sierra Club and drop them into a compound inside of the fires. The smoke is intolerable.

Hope they get on top of the fires soon and that you get lots of rain. There seems to be too much kindling on the ground in most of the national forests, although that may not be the problem out there, not sure?

Spoke to a fellow in Bozeman last week and he said the air was bad there.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Took my two GSP's to the vet yesterday to get them up on their shots before bird season and have Dr Carol check them over for any potential problems before I pack up and head west. Bode, the 8 year old who had TPLO surgery last year weighed 64 pounds and she said to put 2-2 1/2 pounds on him before the season. Rebel, the 4 year old weighed in at 73 pounds and solid as a rock. She declared him perfect as he is. Got their rattlesnake booster, although I plan to hunt Montana area 4 just below the Canadian border before relocating to my buddy's ranch north of Boise, ID., and haven't encountered any rattlers in either area. I'm already chomping at the bit to get out on those prairies again chasing sharptail and Huns.

Researcher
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Just drove from Minnesota through North Dakota, Montana and Idaho home to Spokane County, Washington, wildfire smoke all the way. Air quality ppm in the 300s when we got home Monday. Was 119 this morning and up into the 160s this evening. We were coming home via U.S. 2, but with fires in Glacier NP we cut off at Havre down to Great Falls and Missoula.

Researcher
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Just drove from Minnesota through North Dakota, Montana and Idaho home to Spokane County, Washington, wildfire smoke all the way. Air quality ppm in the 300s when we got home Monday. Was 119 this morning and up into the 160s this evening. We were coming home via U.S. 2, but with fires in Glacier NP we cut off at Havre down to Great Falls and Missoula.

fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:58 am  Reply with quote

Leaning towards a Montana trip early for Sharpies & Huns. Might return later for Phez.

This lil guy here with his first birds from his first solo hunt (2016) wants to go back.......

T-Bone
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:32 am  Reply with quote

Sept. One has always been my own traditional beginning of Fall and all that matters...HUNTING!!!

However, the smoke and the on-going fires in E. WA have severely tempered my normal excitement. The situation is so bad that unpaved roads in the Colville N.F. are closed to the public. Golly...Where I normally go grouse hunting. Sad

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Sept 1 is early goose for me up ere the birds move from bluberry barrens to hay fields that have been cut about a week before when the new grass shoots start to come up. I hope that the heat has not precluded the farmer from cutting hay as without rain the grass wont grow and he wont hay if it is not worth the expence of running the equipment cant be justified. I will head over there next week to check it out.
Oct I head to the Allegash where the grouse are thick. My wife and I have rented a wilderness cabin for 5 days. will bring 2 dogs lots of ammo.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/