16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddites stick in chamber, fail to extract, fet, any help?
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

casebro wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
Having been a relatively quiet member of this site for over a decade, I've learned a lot and come to my own conclusions about who knows their stuff and who just pretends. IMO, Dogchaser is in the first group.

Oftentimes, it serves one well to know what you don't know. "... Some men you just can't reach".

Marc

There are limits to everyone's knowledge, even Dogchaser's.

And you know NOTHING of me or my qualifications. But I'll give a hint: http://imageevent.com/bigchriscase Please scroll through all 25 items on the pull down menu before passing judgement on whether I might have troubleshooting skills.

Or maybe Dogchaser is a Plastics engineer?

I know Dogchaser has considerable experience in the ballistics/ammunition industry. I know from his history here that he actually knows a thing or two and has helped those who've asked. I know you posted a thread asking for help and some tried to do just that. I know those responses have been pointless.

I know nothing of you and your qualifications because you have next to no history here. No where in my post did I say anything in regards to YOUR qualifications but you apparently consider yourself an authority and have all the answers so why bother asking for input?

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

If you have polished the chamber, have you tried?
1. replacing the extractors & springs
2. adjusting the barrel fit and if they still stick,
3. pull the barrel and do a chamber casting to measure it properly and look for a poor lengthening job, out of round, or other defects...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
casebro
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

duckdup wrote:
If you have polished the chamber, have you tried?
1. replacing the extractors & springs
2. adjusting the barrel fit and if they still stick,
3. pull the barrel and do a chamber casting to measure it properly and look for a poor lengthening job, out of round, or other defects...

Yes to 1 and 2, #3, none would have any effect on what happens back in the chamber.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
casebro
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
casebro wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
Having been a relatively quiet member of this site for over a decade, I've learned a lot and come to my own conclusions about who knows their stuff and who just pretends. IMO, Dogchaser is in the first group.

Oftentimes, it serves one well to know what you don't know. "... Some men you just can't reach".

Marc

There are limits to everyone's knowledge, even Dogchaser's.

And you know NOTHING of me or my qualifications. But I'll give a hint: http://imageevent.com/bigchriscase Please scroll through all 25 items on the pull down menu before passing judgement on whether I might have troubleshooting skills.

Or maybe Dogchaser is a Plastics engineer?

I know Dogchaser has considerable experience in the ballistics/ammunition industry. I know from his history here that he actually knows a thing or two and has helped those who've asked. I know you posted a thread asking for help and some tried to do just that. I know those responses have been pointless.

I know nothing of you and your qualifications because you have next to no history here. No where in my post did I say anything in regards to YOUR qualifications but you apparently consider yourself an authority and have all the answers so why bother asking for input?

You said there were people here who just pretend, and said Dog is in the other group. leaving me in the pretenders. It's called a "veiled insult". So yes, you did say I don't know anything.

Pointless responses? I've tried them all. Then when I say I'll try something different you act like I committed blasphemy. He spells it D-o-g, not G-o-d. If he is as big of a man as you say, he ought to welcome new ideas.

Hey Dog, in all that experience in the ammo business, did you happen to be a hull engineer?

New idea- I'm make a copper soldering iron tip with ribs in it. 5-6, use it to melt in new grooves in the top, the Roll Crimp section, of a few shells. Once open, they ought to allow gasses past the slick ring, where i suspect the sticking happens. Because them RGLs I shot today did not stick, and had powder residue down the sides. I suspect RGL plastic is somewhere between STS and Ched. Just a tad more resistant to flow when warm than Feds and Cheds.

Waste of my time? Waste of some hulls? What's it's value to you? New knowledge, the ability to use Cheddites in our guns, Priceless!

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:33 am  Reply with quote

casebro,

I will no longer get into a battle of keyboards, especially here on the 16 Gauge Society. Either you believe what I have presented or you don’t.

Please leave me out of this argument.

———————————————————————————

Upland Carpenter, thank you for the kind words and support.

byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Why would anyone ask for help when they think they already know the answer?

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
Why would anyone ask for help when they think they already know the answer?

I didn't know the answer. I was hoping the answer was "coat them with Bag Balm" or some such.

But enough of you folks closing ranks, rather than supporting some learning.

Progress report: a half hour to make a hot tool from a copper MIG wire tip. 3/8" wide, takes 12 strokes to do a hull. 10 minutes to do 33 rounds. Just touch it, to once again give the ends grooves that look like the sides. I then tried a gold Rem, STS? MUCH MUCH higher melting point. Lots more than a quick touch needed.

Aside from telling you guys it's the low melting point/softer plastic that makes them stick (or not), I'm not sure what I'll do if it works. I could go back to the idea of grooving the end of a pipe, heat it and do the whole end in one stroke. Or not worth the effort? And will one time last through several loadings? And how it effects hull life.

casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:44 am  Reply with quote

Hey, isn't there a teflon spay lube? Teflon is high temp, not like Chap-Stik.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Just an off the wall idea...try coating the finished shell with Mica Dust from BPI. It might, or might not, help. At least it feels like it should help.

B.
casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Just an off the wall idea...try coating the finished shell with Mica Dust from BPI. It might, or might not, help. At least it feels like it should help.

B.

I thought of Mica, I can borrow some from my centerfire case mouth luber. But first I'll try my added ribbery, to prove the concept that ribs/grooves are there to aid extraction. Meantime, I ordered 4 oz of pure PTFE (Teflon) powder, ebay, $6 delivered from Hong Kong.

I've only got 270 Ched hulls left to play with....

kgb
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

casebro wrote:
Win Model 12, 2 3/4 chamber, fails to extract Cheddites a couple times per round. 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 both, the sticky part is the mouth end. If I cut one down, the base end extracts fine.

How far do you cut them down to get fine extraction?

casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
casebro wrote:
Win Model 12, 2 3/4 chamber, fails to extract Cheddites a couple times per round. 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 both, the sticky part is the mouth end. If I cut one down, the base end extracts fine.

How far do you cut them down to get fine extraction?

I just cut one in half randomly. In and out of the assembled gun slickly.

And with the gun broke down, any used hull slides right into the camber ring in the receiver, close the action, and I can spin it.

So I really don't think it's the cheesey metal base. I figure it's the low melting / soft polyethylene used in cheap hulls. Maybe they work good for a station or two, but then the thick metal around the chamber gets warmed.

Anybody here in San Diego? I've got the keys to the So. Bay trap range, and have to go out to adjust the Beomat too.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, I will jump in here. There are a couple of unstated variables. First, these cut in half hulls. Have they been resized or is it the same sticking hull that just came out of the chamber? Second, if so, have you tried running the same hull back in after it begrudgingly comes out without trimming it?

I ask because this will go a long way to firmly establishing the exact source of resistance. A couple scenarios: once the hull comes loose, it may go back just fine. If so, the hang up may actually be mechanical (slide rail, bolt resistance, etc.). I would like to know if, in the event that the hull is still "sticky" after initial extraction, whether: 1) it will go in and out easy after being resized, and 2) whether or not an unaltered hull would come out easy with the barrel removed (push it in and see how easy it comes back out with a cleaning rod). If the hulls slide in and out easy with the barrel removed I would consider other issues, no matter how bizarre.

Also, at what temperature did the plastic melt at? Cheddite? AA or STS? I am curios. It does seem odd that only 8 shots would create enough heat to melt the plastic. That should be pretty visible anyway. The plastics used in hulls generally won't bond well with steel anyway. Light one and let it drip on a steel plate and see how well it sticks.

With enough information we may be able to find the demon causing this. If so, it will help a few other folks too from the sounds of things. One thought that keeps coming to mind is a rough spot where the bolt locks up. I have seen this cause difficult extraction in a variety of guns. It doesn't take much.

For what it is worth, I have used Cheddite hulls in some rough chambers on double guns that should have seen better care and they still came out easy enough. Your problem is a bit vexing, but a solution surely exists.

casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo, they don't stick until the gun gets warm, 6-8 shots. Both virgin hulls or 1-2x fired.

Full length hulls will unsized stick in the detached barrel, without the chamber ring being a factor. Both 2 1/2 & 2 3/4, so they are not sticking to the cone.

So far as actual melting, that was noted when I used a soldering iron to etch in new grooves in the roll-crimp area of the star crimped loads. Chedds melt easy, Gold rems barely, at soldering iron temp. Both my cheds and the other guy's Feds have a ring of slick plastic where the outside grooves are gone. Likewise other ribbed hull brands out of the scrap barrel. I surmise two different families of polyethylene- one for poly-formed, and a harder one for CF. Possible UHMWP, or LMWPE

Anybody else have a soldering iron and old hulls, ribbed and not-ribbed? Go ahead, melt some holes in them and get back to us.

I suspect the PF hulls are built using a plastic that barely meets the lowest standards. Forming ribs is cheaper than buying better polyethylene.

I've seen literally a ton of guns that don't extract 12ga Win Promos. But they work fine with other ammo. and the Wins work in other guns. Something is engineered right to the ragged edge. Is ched using old extrusion dies with the 'groovers' worn?

casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Another thought about the variability between guns- Pumps and autos have only the one barrel to get warmed up, doubles have two, don't get as hot. So, the fact that they don't stick in SXS or O/U is another thing that points to a warm chamber being a factor. In all the tons of guns I've seen that stick, only ONE was a double.