16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cheddites stick in chamber, fail to extract, fet, any help?
casebro
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Win Model 12, 2 3/4 chamber, fails to extract Cheddites a couple times per round. 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 both, the sticky part is the mouth end. If I cut one down, the base end extracts fine. It's the plastic. I've seen a LOT of Win Promos do it too, especially in brand new Rem 870s. And yesterday a guy's lower barrel wouldn't extract Federals.

I tried Armorall/Son of a Gun. Anybody try Mica? Silicone spray? Chamber honing w/ three stone hone? Ideas?

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 am  Reply with quote

12 gauge bore brush, with 000 steel wool and hoppe's #9, put last segment of cleaning rod in battery operated drill and really clean and burnish the chamber.

Keep the brush moving forward and aft.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
casebro
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:14 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
12 gauge bore brush, with 000 steel wool and hoppe's #9, put last segment of cleaning rod in battery operated drill and really clean and burnish the chamber.

Keep the brush moving forward and aft.

Mike

That does an excellent job of cleaning. I've already done that.

I've realized that the ribs on the hulls are to allow gasses back up the side of the chamber, like HK did with their 7.62 'fluted chamber'. I can see a ring around my hulls, and the Feds from the other guy, where the ribs are flattened to smoothness. It's right where the crimp was.

Chambers do taper, they are tightest at the front. I'm kind of wondering if the variation in sticking between guns is there?

Also, like others, the second attempt to extract does work. Some think it is the chamber changing with heat soak, I think it's probably the hull shrinking as it cools.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Try the brush/steel wool with Barkeepers friend on the steel wool moistened with water. If that doesn't work you can order a chamber polisher from Brownells. That will work.
casebro
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Try the brush/steel wool with Barkeepers friend on the steel wool moistened with water. If that doesn't work you can order a chamber polisher from Brownells. That will work.

I'm not averse to chamber polishing, but I don't like the bottle brush hones. I'll go with a two-stone or a custom made gizmo. Maybe valve lapping compound on a slitted dowel. Especially if some 16gaugers say "I polished and it stopped the sticking".

And did you know that the active ingredient in Hoppe's #9 is ammonia? Plus "banana oil" for fragrance and protective oil film.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:54 am  Reply with quote

bent extractor? worn/dull edge on the extractor? weak extractor spring? gunk in the extractor allowance?

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:45 am  Reply with quote

Cheap hulls, a lot of my older double guns the chambers are so tight they won't even chamber some of the El Cheapo European hulls. Things aren't made the way they used to be,find some hulls that are better quality and will chamber for you.
casebro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:58 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
bent extractor? worn/dull edge on the extractor? weak extractor spring? gunk in the extractor allowance?

Sharpened the extractor, wound my own spring form the heaviest stock possible to get in there. Take the bolt out, slip a hull under the extractor, can't hardly pull it out. Takes a good yank on the forened to get the exdt to jump off.

casebro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:00 am  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:
Cheap hulls, a lot of my older double guns the chambers are so tight they won't even chamber some of the El Cheapo European hulls. Things aren't made the way they used to be,find some hulls that are better quality and will chamber for you.

Well yeah, it's a hull problem. Cheddites/Herters, but Fiochii and Federals too. Got another option? NOT Remington Express, $20/25.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Find a new case, bro! (sorry)

I'd take the gun and ammo you want to use to a good smith and have him put it right.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my older A5, as did another poster on this forum, solution was to switch to remington hulls. But my Ithaca 37 from 1946 does not like the new rem hulls, so I use the older reminton peters hulls for it and an older single barrel.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
casebro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:01 am  Reply with quote

kennedy756 wrote:
I had the same problem with my older A5, as did another poster on this forum, solution was to switch to remington hulls. But my Ithaca 37 from 1946 does not like the new rem hulls, so I use the older reminton peters hulls for it and an older single barrel.

I'll gladly give you $50 for 500 of those 40 year old hulls.

Should I have specified "practical solution" ?

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:02 am  Reply with quote

I agree with Dave Erickson.

Shotshell ammunition has had the same manufacturing tolerances for years, something in the vicinity of about 92 years at least.

I would not hone anything until I knew exactly where the problem lies.

I am guessing rust, roughness, decades of powder/wax/plastic buildup, extractor issues.....

casebro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
I agree with Dave Erickson.

Shotshell ammunition has had the same manufacturing tolerances for years, something in the vicinity of about 92 years at least.

I would not hone anything until I knew exactly where the problem lies.

I am guessing rust, roughness, decades of powder/wax/plastic buildup, extractor issues.....

Except that the plastic has changed since AAs first came out. It's why cheapies have grooves down the sides, to allow gasses to blow the hull away from the walls of the chamber.

But even the cheapies don't stick in everything. I'm going to go work on the chamber now.

I was hoping for "a dusting of foot powder prevent that sticky feeling". So chamber it is.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 am  Reply with quote

the issue with the new rem is the metal in the rim, its softer then the rem peters and distorts the rim, even though I have my mec set correctly.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920