16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Spreader loads...lead deposits
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Since I'm about to load some of my own spreaders, I've been searching and reading all I can about them. Obviously, many of the suggested recipes call for either fiber wads or petals removed from specific plastic wads, leaving straight lead to barrel contact. Not real comfortable with all that and the cleaning that accompanies it, especially through a vintage barrel. Is this as much of a problem with harder shot? Such as magnum lead or even plated? I'm probably going to leave the shot cup intact and spreader insert in the cup for my first test and see if that is sufficient, but still curious of other ways to avoid the lead issue. Thanks
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Those vintage barrels have more then likely seen a lot of lead rubbing against them. Worry not it isn't any harder to clean then plastic deposits and won't harm your barrels.
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Those vintage barrels have more then likely seen a lot of lead rubbing against them. Worry not it isn't any harder to clean then plastic deposits and won't harm your barrels.

I certainly should have thought of that considering they are 95 years old. Good call
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Why even have to scrub one bit of lead from the bores?

Conventional plastic wads with Polywad Spred-R's work slick. They work at least as good as any load with the lead scrubbing the bore.

WVbirdman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
Why even have to scrub one bit of lead from the bores?

Conventional plastic wads with Polywad Spred-R's work slick. They work at least as good as any load with the lead scrubbing the bore.

Most of what I have read says that they typically create a big hole in the pattern unless you layer some shot over the top....which defeats the purpose of keeping lead off the bores? Again, I have no clue, just what I've read from searching the subject.

I love the idea of their design. The disc works like the OS card

Last edited by WVbirdman on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hoppes #9 applied with a patch and allowed to sit over night will work wonders on lead fouling .
The best spreader is a plastic gas seal with 3 evenly spaced overshot cards in the shot charge. This type of load produces a very even but open pattern. Goes like this. Primer ,powder, gas seal, nitro card,8 grams shot, OS card,8 grams shot,OS card,8 grams shot, OS card, 8 grams shot, crimp. They take a little time to put together but I have found the results to be excellent.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
Hoppes #9 applied with a patch and allowed to sit over night will work wonders on lead fouling .
The best spreader is a plastic gas seal with 3 evenly spaced overshot cards in the shot charge. This type of load produces a very even but open pattern. Goes like this. Primer ,powder, gas seal, nitro card,8 grams shot, OS card,8 grams shot,OS card,8 grams shot, OS card, 8 grams shot, crimp. They take a little time to put together but I have found the results to be excellent.

That sounds like a fun project for someone new to re loading like myself. Now I have to order some gas seals!
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

WVbirdman,

The hole in the pattern does happen, but that is a bit downrange. The shot on top of the polywad won't increase bore leading, because there is nothing applying force on it. The shot on top also stops the hole in the pattern.

To be honest, I don't see the reason to use a spreader on shots past 25 yards, so the hole in the pattern has never been a problem. But I do like spreaders when hunting woodcock.

WVbirdman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
WVbirdman,

The hole in the pattern does happen, but that is a bit downrange. The shot on top of the polywad won't increase bore leading, because there is nothing applying force on it. The shot on top also stops the hole in the pattern.

To be honest, I don't see the reason to use a spreader on shots past 25 yards, so the hole in the pattern has never been a problem. But I do like spreaders when hunting woodcock.

You're absolutely right about that, unnecessary beyond 25 yards. Appreciate that info, I think I saw them on Precision's site. May as well order a pack of those too.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

I loaded spreader loads with SG16 wads with petals removed and an extreme spreader from BPI with 1oz of 8's and they opened up great in my LC Smith with M/F barrels.
I did end up scrubbing some lead out of the barrels but a tornado brush does a good job of that.
Using fiber wads with no shotcup I found that I don't have to use the spreaders because the patterns open enough as it is and spreaders open it too much.
You will just want to test different loads with your guns to see what works best.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:47 am  Reply with quote

Byron Whitlock wrote:
I loaded spreader loads with SG16 wads with petals removed and an extreme spreader from BPI with 1oz of 8's and they opened up great in my LC Smith with M/F barrels.
I did end up scrubbing some lead out of the barrels but a tornado brush does a good job of that.
Using fiber wads with no shotcup I found that I don't have to use the spreaders because the patterns open enough as it is and spreaders open it too much.
You will just want to test different loads with your guns to see what works best.

Exactly the situation I'm in with my 1923 Fox. Will try the fiber wads as well.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:00 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Byron Whitlock"]I loaded spreader loads with SG16 wads with petals removed and an extreme spreader from BPI with 1oz of 8's and they opened up great in my LC Smith with M/F barrels.
You will just want to test different loads with your guns to see what works best.[/quote

I too prefer the Extreme spreader. I get a better (more even)pattern then with Polywads.
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:36 am  Reply with quote

I have the SG16 and X treme spreaders on the way. Shipping just went way up at precision in the last week, looks like they are having issues with USPS (who isn't). So, I won't be ordering 8.99 fiber wads and 10+ dollars shipping. Hopefully happy with BPI spreader insert
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:14 am  Reply with quote

Push them in after you drop the shot.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total