16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Arrizabalaga, Arrieta, AYA, or Garbi??
Bonasa
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

I am requesting advise on the purchase of a new Spanish sidelock. I'm looking at: 1) Arrizabalaga -model Boss Round Action, 2) Arrieta-model 871 3)AYA model #1 Round Action or 4) Garbi model 103A Round Action. With top quality wood they range in price from $10,000 to $15000.
Anybody have an opinion on the best quality/value of these guns.
I've owned (2) Arrietas previously and aside from some problems with barrel regulation and stock dimensions varying from the order a bit, they were both quality guns. I don't have any experience with the other manufacturers, but I've heard that AYA may be delivering so many guns that they are not paying as much detail to fit and finish as they once did.
I am telling myself for the 3rd time this is to be the last gun I will purchase (and have to remortgage the house to acquire).
Any advice would be appreciated.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

You might consider posting over on SS BB also: http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=91d28b92658ec1b1cfccef240d9b87b4

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Check this thread by Royce Gaddis and his Arrizabalaga
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1212
You might want to PM him as to how it all worked out.

Wingshooter posts over here also-here's a thread about his new Arrieta
http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=30313&start=0

Foursquare
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:43 am  Reply with quote

If you don't already have a copy of _Spanish Best_ get one, and delay your decision 'til you've read it.

Based solely on yearly production numbers gleaned from the book, it's not hard to figure out who puts the most attention into each gun:
AyA---700
Arrieta---?? probably around 250
Garbi---150
Arrizabalaga---40

Arrizabalaga makes only one quality level - the best. Going by Wieland's comments and the photos I've seen, they give the most bang for your buck at this price level.

I'm a little confused by your inclusion of the 871 and the 103A. The other 2 guns you mention are "best" quality, the top of the line for Arriz. and AyA.
The corresponding models from Arrieta and Garbi would be the 931 and the De Luxe, respectively. It's a bit of apples and oranges, though the price points may be very similar.

All new Garbis carry a premium price tag since William Larkin Moore has the monopoly on US distribution. If you want a Garbi you have to go through them, or fly to Eibar and make your own import arrangements. But you'll probably spend the same either way.

My personal choice, Arrizabalaga all the way ( you even picked the same model I would have). My covets runeth over.

I can recommend Harry Marx Hi-Grade Imports as nice folks to deal with, he even has an Arriz. 16 in stock, though I can't remember which style it is.
He moved last week. New info: 1160 I St, Los Banos Ca 93635
209-827-1177. They have not updated the website yet. Ask for Ginger.

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Bonasa
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Foursquare and Revdocdrew,
Thank you very much for the helpful information. As to the models indicated, I was staying within a price range b/c the Arrieta 872 and The Garbi Royal were substantially more expensive. Even the AYA #1 Deluxe was above the price range (I was looking at the #1 Round Body). The only one that appears to be a "Best Quality" gun in that price range (with upgraded wood) would be the Arrizabalaga, which I am leaning toward. I have been speaking with Harry and Ginger.
I have read MacIntosh's "Best Guns," but havn't read "Spanish Best" by Weiland yet. I will take your advice and do that.
Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
Bonasa

Foursquare
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:21 am  Reply with quote

Bonasa wrote:
Foursquare and Revdocdrew,
Thank you very much for the helpful information. As to the models indicated, I was staying within a price range b/c the Arrieta 872 and The Garbi Royal were substantially more expensive.

You've just proved my point about Arrizabalagas bang for the buck.

I have read MacIntosh's "Best Guns," but havn't read "Spanish Best" by Weiland yet. I will take your advice and do that.
Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
Bonasa

Wieland's book is mandatory for anyone who's serious about Spanish guns. "Don't leave home without it". Got my copy from Amazon, used, in perfect condition, around $35 if I recall correctly.

Good luck, and believe me when I say I'm envious. I wish I was in a position to buy a new Arriz. Shocked

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:27 am  Reply with quote

You have do doubt been on WilliamLarkinMoore's website http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/inventory.asp
For a tiny finder's fee I'd be most happy to run by and drool on any gun you wish drooled upon Very Happy (They usually make me put on the face mask as soon as I hit the door Rolling Eyes )

Bonasa
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Revdocdrew,
If your by WLM. The gun I have pretty well decided upon is a Garbi 103A Royal, Round Body, in 20 bore (already have a nice 16). I havn't seen the pics yet but I'm hoping it will be a sweet little grouse gun (@ 6lbs2oz) for the Northern Michigan coverts.
I've heard Drool is good for the finish. Cool
Thanks again for the advice.

soloflyfisher
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't really look at Arizabalaga because it was out of my price range, but I liked the Garbi 101 better than the comparable models from the other Spanish makers.
Bonasa
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Well WLM doesn't have the Round action 20 bore in stock after all and they can't guarantee a custom gun delivery for next season, so I am revisiting the Arrizabalaga. It appears to be a better quality gun, but they use a lighter color wood than I would have selected. It's kind of a well figured honey color. I don't know what type of walnut it is, or if it's considered a good quality. I guess its just personal preference on wood.