16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Sweet 16, Short Version
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Put ~1k rounds through a new model Browning A5 Sweet 16 28” that I picked up used. Absolutely love the gun and shoot it well. However it is one LONG broomstick and longer than 28” guns of any action type that I own.

3 weeks ago sent it off to Briley and had them cut it down to the end of the first post on the rib which makes the barrel 23” long. Selected .004, .009 and .014 for chokes and the thinwalls are longer than my other thinwall tubed guns and labeled Spectrum. And absolutely crush targets.

Got it back Wednesday and shot it at Sporting Clays on Thursday. And shot the best have done all year. Played around a lot throwing doubles instead of report, delayed pulls and pulling before ready. This thing is perfect for grouse now.

Always felt my 26” BUL was just a bit long for the grouse woods and being a 12 use it on pheasants in SD where it is at home. My Ithaca 37’s wtih 26” bbls. I have always considered my Gold Standard for grouse hunting.

Much to my surprise it is almost identical to the 26" BUL now despite being a 23" bbl. Including the steep sharp radius grip.

The forend on the Sweet 16 extends a lot further however and adds more weight out front which helps it swing better even with the short barrel.

After hunting season most likely will have the stock converted to a straight grip for easier carry while hunting. Then it will be the best grouse gun that I have ever owned, I have no doubt about it.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Good going, Mike! If I could get a 2nd barrel I'd be temped to make a grouse/woodcock special like yours. I'm glad to hear it still shoots great with the short barrel.
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I’m holding out for a factory model just like yours. Wonder if we could get enough commitments to secure a run?

If so, I’m in.
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 am  Reply with quote

The new sweet is a nice gun but they made the action too long IMO. The action measures 9 inches instead of 7 on the old ones. Puts over length too long on the 28 inch version. IMO the gun's appearance is not as nice with the long action. Boy mine shoots great though.

studdog
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:24 am  Reply with quote

The new sweet is a nice gun but they made the action too long IMO. The action measures 9 inches instead of 7 on the old ones. Puts over length too long on the 28 inch version. IMO the gun's appearance is not as nice with the long action. Boy mine shoots great though.

Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

You may prove to be a bad influence on many of us, Cold Iron!
Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:15 am  Reply with quote

Hello...hello...hello...

Yep, I thought this thread was in an echo chamber.
TripleH
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:48 am  Reply with quote

I'm going to be sorely tempted to try that myself whenever Browning makes extra barrels available.
61bhs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 am  Reply with quote

The state of Illinois has gone to nontoxic at the site I hunt ! So I order a flat of Kent bismuth that isn’t safe for my old sxs’s. I picked up a new A5 16ga yesterday! It won’t feel right hunting with this contraption!!! I do have two boxes of RST bismuth that only cost $150 delivered to my front door that I can shoot in Sauers! Going to northern Wisconsin Tuesday. I guess I can shoot lead there?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Love that 37 with the straight stock. Very nice.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:01 am  Reply with quote

I just purchased a new A5 Sweet Sixteen last week with a 26" barrel. I've been shooting a Belgium 1960 Sweet Sixteen for the past 8 years. Quite a difference in the two. First thing is the overall length of the new Sweet. It's over 2" longer than my 1960 model with a 26" barrel. The extra length is all in the receiver. However, I compared the receiver length to a Benelli and also a Stoeger 2000 that I have in the gun case. The lengths of the receivers is the same in all three guns. Guess I never before thought the receiver was that long on the Benelli and Stoeger. I'm assuming that since the new A5, Benelli and Stoeger all have similar operating systems it must require a longer receiver.

My advice to anyone buying a new A5 would be to get the 26" barrel as it's still a long gun. A friend has a new A5 Sweet Sixteen with a 28" barrel and it feels more like a 30".

Browning BPS Upland Special
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Guess I never did do an update with a field report of the "short" version.

It is SWEET! Now to have that huge short radius pistol grip removed and converted to a straight stock. Then it will be the perfect grouse gun. For pheasants I think the 26" as it comes from the factory would be about perfect.