16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Single sighting plane now a BAD thing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:34 am  Reply with quote

This from the Aspen Outfitters site:
“Another important factor is the pointing plane,” Hollinger says. “With an over/under shotgun, the shooter is looking over a narrow pointing plane. In American upland bird hunting, most of our targets are rising birds. It’s really easy to ‘slide past’ a bird with an over/under gun, because it’s only the width of the top barrel. The sighting plane of a side-by-side shotgun is twice as wide, and it’s easy to put a bird on top of it and pull the trigger.”

Oh my-the 'single sighting plane' is now a bad thing Question

I'm not sure anyone has successfully explained why O/Us are the gun of choice for clay target and pigeon shooters (despite Hal Hare's International Skeet exploits with his M21) and why SxSs seem to do so well wingshooting (and yes, I've read Hill and McIntosh and a bunch of other gun riter' guys, English and US)

Thoughts? (at the risk of re-starting the O/U vs. SxS debate Rolling Eyes )

bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Drew:

I shoot them all o/u, sxs, pumps, and semi-auto. I do, however, have a knack for the sxs. For some reason, I just shoot these better than all my other guns - they are my goto guns for skeet, sporting clays, birds, whatever.

That's why the license on the Dakota says "25 SXS"

That said - I have some modern sxs (SKB 385) that have a single high post rib sighting plane and I still shoot them better than an o/u - especially at clay targets

For me, it is probably not sighting plane, but gun fit that makes the difference.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:47 am  Reply with quote

JMO, but at least as far as field shooting is concerned, gun fit and a solid move/mount/swing with follow through are more important than any "sighting plane" or "pointing plane."

I think Hill, McIntosh and Brister would all advise fit, lots of practice and a good move/mount/shoot are more important than any plane, unless the plane's carrying you to South Dakota. And from what I've read, alll three of those gentleman (two of them since departed, I believe) not only could write, they could all handle a shotgun well in the field and blind.

I think the the gentleman from AOC is looking for an edge in gun-selling.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Perhaps he's sliding past in his own BS. Laughing Rising birds? I should hope so. I have never had one dig a hole to hide in yet. Then we'd need a $3K double bladed spade to be well equipped I suppose. Rolling Eyes

MGF, Exactomundo!!!
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Drew,

We all know how these gun writers are Cool !

Re-invent the wheel in 3,000 words or less Laughing !

TMB
________
Spice Weed

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

I think the single sighting plane is more precise. In target games where the birds are going a known direction and speed and there is no cover to get in the way the more precise the instrument the better.

Fast flushing wild birds in dense cover are all about instinct shooting. I think the side by side with it's fat front end is easy to pick up in a hurry against a background of brush and trees. You see more O/U's hunting in open country, upland and waterfowl, where the little bit of extra time and lack of background allows the precise pointing characteristics of the O/U to come back into play.

But you can't prove any of it. With wild birds the shots fired to birds killed ratio and the number of other variables is so great that you cannot really compare success ratios.

Jeff
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
With wild birds the shots fired to birds killed ratio and the number of other variables is so great that you cannot really compare success ratios.

Not to mention just a simple lack of wild birds for hunters to "test" this theory. The hunters of Nash Buckingham and Havilah Babcock's era might have been able to do it, but not us today.

Heck, I just discovered from my quail hunting buddy here that he's having trouble getting PEN raised birds now because so many local breeders are going out of business. GEEZ...

KB
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

When was the last time this writer/clown actually fire at a bird---real or feathered?????
fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

I have 2 autos, 5pumpguns, 6 sxs, an o/u,and one single shot. Out of 15 guns in various configurations and over a fair price range, I've found that fit and practice have a whole lot more to do with successful shooting than the brand name or the type. After a while you kind of figure out that God only gave you so much ability,so be happy with what you've got and enjoy burning a lot of shells. I like gun writers and own a bunch of their books, but sometimes you just gotta laugh. LaughingP.S. My favorite trap gun is refered to by one of my favorite writers as an unholy abortion because of its wide rib. I still enjoy his writing but I chuckle every time I break 25 with my abortion. Twisted Evil

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:29 am  Reply with quote

Should we pound this guy some more or do you think we should let him up now. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Actually, we were pounding the guy on the other thread SO I started this seeking thoughts about why SxSs do so well on live birds and O/Us in the pigeon ring and on clay targets. I think Jeff has it about right but am always interested in the thoughts of our wise groups of sages (oh...and 16gg too Very Happy ) I personally find my SxSs better for wingshooting but a slight disadvantage for low gun skeet and SC, but use them anyway because they're so much fun Very Happy

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I find that my failing eye sight, poor hearing, neck surgery, back surgery, and a messed up shoulder. Have more to do with my ability to hit birds or break targets, than the width of the rib, or the configuration of the barrels.
I do however, think life's to short, to shoot an ugly gun. And I'll leave it at that. SxS's forever. Wink Very Happy Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I lifted this from my post on the other thread:

If an SxS has any advantage at all, its because that wide image is easier for the brain to pick up on in relation to the primary focus point, the target. This is especially true in the lower light of early mornings and late afternoons during the typical hunting season. This factor and the easier targets game birds present works well together. however, this point does not get much support if one is using a narrower 28 or 410 double.

A simple white bandage around the end of a single barrel or an O/U will do the same thing. Any of the fatter day-glo fiber optic beads on the end will also do the same thing. Any little trick that helps the end of the barrel stand out some helps in low light or cover. It does not require two side by side barrels to get it done.

That is why I find it hard to think any gun is more or less of an advantage if it fits the shooter well, it has the right weight and balance for him, and he knows how to shoot it well.

Some folks just like the romance and nostalgia an SxS seems to have. I do. Like I said, I've come to really like them. However, any advantages today are more imagination based on one's taste for guns rather than reality IMO.

In short--if it works for you, use it.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:07 am  Reply with quote

These two couldn't tell the difference last saturday.....

These are the first birds I got with my citori 16
john cox
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

I had a solid point today, plenty of time to get ready. Two grouse up and I had no sighting plane with my o/u. Missed at 15 yds. I am sick. Ole Pete is sicker. You all had me so pumped over my new 16 ga o/u I felt misses like that would be history for me. Will try again tomorrow.