16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Lefever Nitro Special details
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have read here and elsewhere that a Lefever Nitro Special (built by Ithaca) uses the same rotary bolt lock up as the Ithaca N.I.D. I have also read that it is a Flues model with few changes. There have been arguments amongst some folks. I would just like to say that the 12 ga. N.S. I used today on a duck hunt has the old original Lefever style lock up integrated into the top lever and not a rotary bolt like my N.I.D. 16 uses. Perhaps the guns were made one way first, then changed to reflect the parts inventory and improvements later when the N.I.D. came about?

Flues16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:52 am  Reply with quote

I don't have a 12 gauge NS, but my 16 and 20 gauge Nitro Specials seem much more like my NIDs than my older Flues model Ithacas. As far as I know, the bolting system on all the Nitros remained the same during their entire production.

My Flues guns have both a rotary bolt that engages a slot in the barrel extension and an underbolt that engages a slot on the barrel lump. While this is a sturdy way to lock the gun, it requires the removal of some metal from the frame to accomodiate the underbolt.

My Nitro Specials and NIDs lack the underbolt found on the Flues guns and rely solely on the rotary top bolt for lockup. They also have cocking cams and rods to cock the hammers instead of the cocking hooks found on my Flues guns.

As you said, the Lefever Nitro Special guns were made by Ithaca, but they should not be confused with the older Lefevers made by the Lefever Arms Company of Syracuse, NY. Ithaca bought that company in 1916 and briefly continued production of their sideplate guns until they could tool up to make the Nitro Special. The NS is a different gun from the old sideplate Lefevers, but both use a rotary bolt for lockup and neither have an underbolt.

Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:06 am  Reply with quote

None of the Ithaca made Lefevers use a "rotary bolt" they are wedge-bolted by an extension of the top-lever. The only gun from Fall Creek Water Power Lot #6 to use a "rotary bolt" was the NID. The NID, the Lefever Nitro Special, the Lefever A-Grade and the Western Arms Long Range all used the cam cocking mechanism and are sometimes referred to as "cam guns."

Wedge bolting into a slot in a rib extension was pretty common. Most Bakers, most J. Stevens, Lefevers, Crescents, etc. used wedge bolting. Ithaca Minier and Flues Models, several of Frank Hollenbeck's guns, Tobins, etc. include a hole thru the rib extension for a more complex "wedge" off the top-lever to engage.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

And for some reason, earlier side plated Lefever boxlocks are still the only gun I know of to use an adjustable compensating screw in the front of the action to keep them tight against the breech face. I still don't understand why other makers have not used this fantastic feature, that I'm aware of anyway.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Flues16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

I stand corrected based on Researcher's comments - what I was calling a "rotary bolt" on the Nitro Special and Flues guns should be called "wedge bolting." I'm happy to learn the difference.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Down to my last 16 gauge:

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55277_600x400/] [/URL]

I accidentally won a gunbroker auction for this gun, a 1937 Nitro, 2 3/4” chambers, 26” tubes with CYL and MOD chokes. I reblued the barrels, but, the rest of the gun looks like new. There was a time when you could walk into a hardware store, and buy, at low cost, a double like this, no beauty queen, but, very useful. Those days are gone.
I have some better, more expensive guns, but, I appreciate field grades just as much.

Best,
Ted