16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Merkel new addition
grouser47
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Just bought this 16 Merkel - Model unknown - 28"bls, dbl triggers, ejectors, pg, new in 1953. blue is 100%, bores bright no pitting, case color as in picture, choked mod/full. Wood has some marks from being stored in closet, Can anyone tell me the model #? and what is it's value?

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 pm  Reply with quote

That's a 200E. If it's in very good to excellent condition it should fetch $2500.00 give or take. Nice gun! I had one for a while. It didn't fit me well enough, and I didn't want to get into the stock modifications the time. There were also other things to sink money into right then (vehicle). It was a heck of a nice gun though. Yours does have a different engraving pattern than mine did, but otherwise it sure looks like a 200E. My 200E was also a 1953 gun.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Grouser, according to the guy who sells Ugartechea AOC doubles, that O/U single sighting plane is really gonna screw up your shooting. I suggest you sell it to me immediately before you get all messed up shooting it. I'm already beyond hope from shooting a Citori low these many years.Wink

Enjoy it. its a fine looking gun. If you need the chokes opened up, Mike Orlen can do a good job for you. He's reasonable too.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Exactomundo!

www.thadscott.com/19138.html

Generally, Thad's prices are in line with what you could expext to get without much effort.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
grouser47
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, seems like indeed it might be a 200E - although I cant find a 200E with the same engraving. The difference might be that this gun was originaly purchased in Austria? I'm still researching ---- so if anyone has any info to add please do so. I guess that I did ok as far as purchase price being $1100.00 Canadian ($956 us$) Very Happy
John
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

Nice. By the way, just how drunk..., er...., socialized did you have to get the former owner before he sold it to you for that price? Laughing
longwalker
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser, I just bought a very similar gun last summer, one difference is that mine has an extra barrrel set, 16 over 7x57R. I've been told because of that configurion and with some extra engaving mine's called a model 211E. Since September I've used it to shoot teal, shoveler, coot, gadwall, mallard, lesser Canadas, snow geese, sharptail, ruffed grouse, jackrabbit, raccoon, whitetail and some famyard pests. It's quickly becoming my go-to gun for everything!
That is a great price! Congratulations on a fine purchase. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

grouser47
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Haven't shot it yet but seems to fit to a tee. There are some marks on the stock to be steamed out and the chokes opened up -- right now it's choked full & O my god. I will take them out to impcyl/lt mod or send the bls off to Briley for screw in's. Having the opened up by a smith is cheeper ($60) per bl but the mobiles sound good --- decisions, decisions Laughing Cheers, John