16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga Citori Lightning Feather
KSeago
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Considering buying a 90% citori lightning feather model. I was really curious if anyone has any experience with this particular gun, I've read a lot on superlights and the lightnings but can't find much on the lightning feather model.
My main concern is recoil from a light gun, I have a winchester 101 12 ga that I had to add a significant amount of weight to in order for it to be a decent gun to shoot for me.
I only shoot sporting clays 3-4 times per year and shoot clays from an auto thrower about 3 times a year, so my main use for this gun would be chasing the dogs on the dove, quail, and pheasants fields of the Texas panhandle! Any help is appreciated!
jlwags
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:42 am  Reply with quote

I don't know much about the Citori Lighting Feather, but I can speak to your 101 experience. The original 101's had a well-earned reputation for being hard recoiling guns. I shot a 12 gauge for a few rounds of skeet, and it had noticably heaver recoil than my other gun that day, a lighter sxs, using the same shells. I currently have a 20 ga 101 (I can't help I like their looks) and it also has more felt recoil than it "should".

What I am trying to say is that recoil is not just physics, it's fit. If you can shoot the Citori you're considering, or even a buddy's Citori, you should have an idea if the gun will be manageable for you, assuming the guns have factory dimensions.
John
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Agreed, it's best to try a gun first or at least a copy if that's not an option. I have experienced the uncomfortable felt recoil of a 101 field gun, in 12ga, and believe it to be mostly a function of how it fit me. I had a 16ga Citori that seemed to recoil heavier than it should have, compared to a Model 12 16ga, again I think it was fit more than absolute weight comparison. That Citori raised a rash on a friend's cheek, but didn't do so for mine. I never noticed recoil while hunting it though, and a lightweight would have been good for the same purposes I believe.

df
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:56 am  Reply with quote

I had one, and in a fit of stupidity, I sold it.
It’s been several years since I sold but I do not recall it having excessive recoil.
I think they are a great hunting gun.
mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have the Superlight Feather in a 16, I believe it weighs about 1/2 pound (??) more than the Lightning Feather. I shoot the federal upland 1 1/8 oz #6 out of it at a listed at 1425 fps. I am 6'3, 230# and not real sensitive to shotgun recoil - I do not believe my feather "kicks" me much at all.
Specifics do matter though.....
I had an aftermarket pad installed, lengthening the pull to 15 1/8". Also had stock adjusted to fit by a local shotgun man.
Lastly, if one does mostly upland wing shooting with a gun, I fail to see how recoil comes into play much at all. Unless of course, you are indeed sensitive to recoil.
I am not a consistent shooter of clay, nor do I shoot any waterfowl - so can't address recoil issues there.
Hell, buy the Citori for birds, get a heavier gun for fake birds - can't have too many.

Very Happy
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

7/8oz load at 1175fps should be just fine for clays... match the load to the gun weight for higher volume shooting..
woodcock1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have one and absolutely love it! It has been my go to grouse, pheasant and woodcock gun for about 3 years. The gun fits me just fine and I don't notice any recoil when I am shooting at birds. I have rarely used it for target/clay practice, but am sure that I could shoot 50-100 rounds of light target loads (1 oz.) without any concern. I agree that fit is a big factor. The gun carries, handles and shoots like a dream.
KSeago
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to go a different route at this time though, the local gun shop has a BPS 16 ga NIB for $400 with a $50 rebate from browning this month. That's too good of a deal to pass up and it'll go nicely with my 10, 12, and 20 BPS's!
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Definitely jump on that BPS! It will be a better hunting gun and you won't notice any recoil when it helps you pump in the next round.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Bret
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:45 am  Reply with quote

I have a 20 gauge Lightning feather. It is a great little gun for upland birds. You don't want to shoot clay very much with it though. she will beat ya.

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:32 am  Reply with quote

I have a lightning Feather 26" 16 ga. and agree with Brett. I dont shoot clays with it but hunt occasionally with it. It does kick with 1 oz loads. I prefer my Citori III with 28" barrels
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:55 am  Reply with quote

how dumb was this !!... 1970ish , buddy had an FFL and our big Rochester shop was just liking Brownings . His cost : 239 for 12/20's , 249 for 28/410's . We bought about 6 20's , shot em for a year and sold them for 350 - what a deal ! Shoulda bought 20 of them ! Bought a 101 MAG with shells for 229 as the alternative . (These were Belgium guns also !)(we couldn't understand how anyone would spend the money for the 28/410's)

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Paid $195.00 for my Auto 5 16 in 1972 0r 1973 Wells Marine and gun shot in Rome NY. There was a whole rack full of them. I was 15 or 16 them paid for it weekly till I picked it up.
JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Enjoy both the BPS and the Feather in my collection.

The BPS w/ English stock is the best fitting of the bunch... for me at least.

I'll be swapping out the plastic but pad for a slim recoil pad on the Feather so it will be a little more forgiving on the clays range.

Cheers!

1947 Browning Automatic-5 (stealth Sweet 16) - ventilated Poly-Choke
1937-42 Savage 430
Timn
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have a superlight feather 16 mine kicks pretty hard with 1 1/8 loads. Just bought it this summer and wouldn't sell it for anything.