16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  first time out for quail in a couple of weeks...
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Ok I've been shooting clays for four years now, and I've decided to get out and see what real birds are like. I'd like to carry my 16ga citori 525, of course for this hunt. Ive shot sereral rounds of clays with it, and it has fast become my Fav.

I'll be setting up a guided hunt with a local preserve. We'll be going after farm raised quail over dogs. I would like to go with a nickle plated load if possible. I might be mistaken, but have some resevations about roasting game with un-plated lead in it. The only nickle plated factory load I can find is the Fiocchi 7.5 golden phesant. My question is is this high velocity load with 1 1/8 payload too much for these birds. Don't want to be ripping them apart, of course.

My other option is to go with a standard velocity lead #8 like the remington or winchester game loads. Or I could carry my Browning Gold 20ga and get the fiocchi 20ga 1 0z load in a small shot size. (I think I'm a better shot with the sixteen, but the gun wieghts are very close.)

Also what are the general recommendations for chokes, Sk/IC or IC/MOD? If I use a more open choke then will I avoid destroying birds with the fiocchi golden phesant 16ga 7.5 load? I realize that the guide will probably give me a good idea what kind of range we can expect, but I want to have a good set up to "go to" when I'm there...

I'm hoping to get to reloading very soon, and solve some of these problems with load availiblity, but I dont think I'll have any equipment or supplies by the time I get out to hunt, Then there's the time to sit down and tinker, and test shells before hand.... not likely at this point.

any help would be appreciated..

16'er
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Carry the gun you have the most confidence in. If it's the 525, go with something like the Federal Game Shok 1 oz 16g 7 1/2s. You would have WAY more than 'enough gun' with the Fiocchi GPs.
Each of us have our own timing, but SK/Mod should be great for pen raised birds and keep in mind they don't fly as fast as clay targets. At the beginning of the season, most shots are missed by shooting too quickly, with the head off the stock, and ahead of the bird. Focus on, and put the bead on, the white head of the cocks.
If you're not actually consuming pellets, I'd have no concern about the need for nickel plated shot.
BTW: What part of the country are you from? Preserve properties vary somewhat depending on location.
Relax, listen to the guide, be safe, and enjoy every second Very Happy
Please let us know how it turns out and we'll be happy to provide some bird dog purchase advice next Rolling Eyes

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

rev summed it up well
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Take the 16...shoot 1oz #8's.......don't worry about the lead.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Way back in the dark ages, we used to joke about the lead shot in the birds served in Sue's (moms) kitchen - "extra fillings" is what we called it.

Like the worm in the broccoli from the garden, someone always got one from the duck, pheasant, or quail that graced our table. It was dutifully spit out and set aside - no worries.

I'd be more worried if I bit down on a copper plated shot and broke a tooth - youch Shocked

When cleaning birds, I just look for the shot and use a knife to gently remove them from meat. Should work for you....

If it is pen raised quail at a preserve, you might like 9s better than 8s. Skeet and IC are good choke choices - 16 ga of course Wink

for wild quail I like 8s in IC barrel and 7.5s in light mod barrel in the sissytori. I shoot the same shot sizes in the 28 ga for wild quail too...

good luck....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Like it or not, the ammo companies' reputations ride on their target loads. They put a lot of effort into using the best components.

The fringe benefit for hunters is that hi quality target loads have the best quality hard shot available. Unfortunately for us 16ers nobody makes pure target loads in our gauge.

But for quail over dogs you'll be well served by an ounce of 8s or 7.5s.

For the future reloading is the only way to go.

And don't worry none about swallowing lead shot. I know an avid muzzle loader who'd run thru a Seneca run with his next .50 cal ball in his mouth. Speed is essential, and the ability to load, prime and spit a ball into the bore while on the move can make all the difference. Well, you guessed it, one time he tripped and fell and swallowed the ball. There were countless jokes about seasoning the bore, expected muzzle (rectal) velocity, porcelain bowl range safety fans, etc. But he was fine, this too shall pass.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys, Ill pick up a box of 9's if I can find them. I've got some #8 game loads already.

I'll be hunting in the hills of western NC.
16'er
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Took the Citori 16ga and a box of #8's. Quail were co-operative for the most part and had a great day I don't think I'll forget for a while. Sorry I forgot my camera at home so no pic's to share.

I went out with two other guys and we had them set 24 quail. We went home with 23 of them. I won't comment on the "the one that got away", except he didn't get away... and didn't go without providing nurishment to someone in the hunting party..

I fried up four of my share last night and my wife and I had a great little dinner. Had some of my home-made mead, which went well with the pilaf, veggies and quail. Might do a Paella (sp?) with the other three breasts left. I'm thinking I'll get out and do a hunt at least two more times this season.

BTW, the Hunt was at Fowler farms in Hot Springs, NC. I would recommend them, as they did everything they could to make sure we had a great day, and we did! Very Happy

16'er