16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  citori lightning stock broke
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

here is a pic of the grade III butt stock that broke, I did not notice the crack until after shooting a few rounds of trap, I was hoping it was just a scratch, but when I took the butt off to send it out to have an adjustable comb installed. in came off in two pieces. I think it was broke from the factory when the stock bolt was tightened, I plan on gluing it back together and sanding a little wood off where it inserts into the receiver to take the pressure off. any other ideas?
https://flic.kr/p/PrGiGK

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
artesian01
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

about where my gran lightning stock broke...pat laib in spicer, mn fixed it very well...browning will replace the stock but can't match it with the forearm wood...that can be glued I suspect...take it to a good 'smith...
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

My 525 grade III broke in the same place. I think Browning does a poor job with grain flow through the critical areas at the head of the stock. We are not the only Citori owners to have that problem.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

will gluing it fix the problem or will it break again in a different spot? will sanding the most forward part that fits in the receiver help fix the problem?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:21 am  Reply with quote

My 525 has been fitted with a complete set of sub-gauge Kolar tubes and is my dedicated skeet gun. The stock broke in the middle of skeet league and I repaired it using epoxy and brass pins to finish out the season. Browning will not warranty any gun that has been modified, and I had shortened the factory stock, fitted a better recoil pad and Kolar had lengthened the forcing cones and modified the trigger as part of the fitting of the tube set. Rather than fight with Browning and likely get another stock that would fail, I elected to go with the Precision Fit recoil/adjustable stock. Butt ugly, but works like a champ.

If your Citori is unmodified, I think Browning would eventually replace the stock, however, you would have to send it in for inspection before they would make that determination. One of my hunting buddies has a 525 16 ga that eats firing pins and also broke the stock. Browning replaced the firing pins and stock under warranty, but it is now a safe queen after eating those pins.

There are some skilled stock gunsmiths who can repair stocks and have the repairs nearly undetectable. The guy I use is Clint Meier out of Lee's Summit, MO. The link is below with good pictures of some of his repair jobs.
https://cgm-gunstockcheckering.com/

artesian01
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

kennedy756 wrote:
will gluing it fix the problem or will it break again in a different spot? will sanding the most forward part that fits in the receiver help fix the problem?

mine was glued about a decade ago and has been just fine....
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:01 am  Reply with quote

glued it back together, and sent off to tronspace to have the adjustable comb installed, should have it back next week

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

U guys got me scared. I shoot much trap with mine. I getting teady to put a
Added end of season oil finish on mine. Guess for saftey pourpos ill glass in the reciever before i add the oil finish.
At one time brownell made the best glass bedding that came in a brown tube paste . The crap they have now is terrible. I've talke to smiths that have used the new stuff and they were terribly disappointed with the new stuff. Twisted Evil
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

U guys got me scared. I shoot muuch trap with mine. I getting teady to put a
Added end of season oil finish on mine. Guess forbsaftey pourpos ill glass in te reciever before i add the oil finish.
At one time brownell made the best glass bedding that came in a brown tube paste . Tje crap they have now is terrible. I've talke to smiths that have used the new stuff and they wrte terribly disappointed with it Twisted Evil
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:03 am  Reply with quote

same old story around here . Know of at least 3 that have gone the same rt . got to be some kind of fitting / inletting problem . Browning not the best co to deal with .

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

When it comes to Browning Citori high grade wood (or any other gun w/ high grade wood), my best advice is to carefully look first at how the grain of the wood is laid out in the butt before buying--especially in the the grip area. The highly figured part of the wood should stop before it makes it to the grip area. I'd also look to see if the curve of the grain is in line with the grip curve. If the grain does not match the curve of the grip, then best pass on the gun. I've seen too many highly figured stocks break in the same area. This is especially true for lightly built sub gauge guns.

I once owned a Citori 20 gauge Grand Lightning w/ one of the loveliest highly figured walnut butt stock and forend I've ever seen. I just had to have it. Unfortunately, this was before I knew much about highly figured walnut stocks. Yup!! The highly figured grain ran right up to the block on both sides. I had the gun about two weeks and had shot maybe 12 rounds of skeet with it before the right side grip cheek split away at the wrist.

Not knowing any better, I sent the gun back to Browning for a replacement butt stock. About six months later, I got the gun back. It had one of the plainest grade walnut stocks on it I've ever seen--I mean, real orange crate grade wood. The damned butt was also about three shades of walnut color lighter than the forend. It was just weird looking.

So naturally, I called Browning on it. Their reply was that the Grand Lightning model was not considered to be a high grade gun. They basically told me to live with it. So much for excellent customer service. Not so for the dealer I bought the gun from. He took one look at it and traded me a nice 20 gauge Grade III with properly laid out butt stock grain ( which I still own). He also kindly showed me what to look for in stock wood from then on.

My dealer friend also sent the Grand L back to Browning w/ a nasty note and demanded to have the butt wood properly matched to the forend. He later told me he got the gun back, and it was right. He also sold it for more than what I'd paid him for it. I'm happy to know he did. He deserved it IMO.

Apparently, approved Browning gun dealers have a lot more clout than their customers. I also learned how to wangle better service From Browning after that. It's all about being a big enough pest until they cave in and treat you right. Laughing

This little episode really soured me on Grand Lightnings from then on. It also taught me a very painful lesson about stock wood grain. Live and learn. I decided it was best to do so and did.

Oh yeah-- Hi guys. I'm Back. Laughing
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

hey looky looky , GG is back .. Hope everything is good Chris .... The Citory I was personally at when it broke , was very straight at the pistol grip where it should be . Just peculiar . And the pic of the one here almost looks like a saw mark . Maybe they are very weak there , who knows !?

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Hi GG, Happy New Year!!

Rainierrifleco
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

I'll bet JMB is rolling over in his grave