16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Primers?
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

What primer is equal to the Fiochi 616? I want to reload a 24 gauge and the only data calls for Fiochi primers. Any help is appreciated. The 24 gauge is more difficult to load for than our 16 gauges. There is little info.
Ron
old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

The F616 is a middle of the road primer, in terms of one step down would be a W209 and Chec209.

Note that simply switching to a so called milder primer in theory could actually do the opposite and spread the pressure further down the bore.

I have sent you a PM on 24ga reloading as I also load for 24ga.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

American Arms O/U in 24 and also one in 32 gauge
What fun, what fun

Sure wish they made a 70mm hull

Mike

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:44 am  Reply with quote

I also load for the 24, it's fun little gauge to shoot and load and there are few 24ga'ers hanging around this site that will probably chime in with advice.

My 2cents, I use a modified BP 28ga RC tool with the roll pin pulled out, works fine. I find the "American" 209 primers don't fit well in the Fiocci hulls and the Nobel Sport primer is a substitute for the Fio primer. Reloading For Shotguner's, Fackler & McPherson has a section with a few published recipes for this gauge.

Best of luck with it....

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

I'm late to this, but the FIO 616 is a magnum primer. I don't believe it is as hot as a FED 209A, or a CCI 209M, but it is up there. I've used Fio 615's and 616's in the 24, and can't really tell the difference in performance -- lost in the noise of most of the loads.

Putz463 -- Thanks for the tip on getting some satisfaction from the single-pin BPI roll crimper -- I'll try it!

SkeeTX -- There are pie-crimped 24 gauge plastic 70 mm hulls out there - Cheddite or Fiocchi hulls, I think, but loaded by another European brand I can't remember right now. One of the fellows we see regularly at the Duluth Double Gun shoot seems to have a lifetime supply of them, factory loaded. He doesn't reload yet. He was interested once in my conversion of the MEC 600/700 for the 24, and though he does not reload for the 24 now, he does not seem to want to part with any of his empties -- yet. It would be nice to have a 70mm hull with crimp memory, wouldn't it. For hunting, I load 7/8 and even 1-ounce loads in the 65mm Fiocchi hull though -- roll or pie crimped. The longer hull would make for less wad fiddling, though.

Cheers!
Tony
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Got a phone call today from one of my field trialing buddies and he's doing some surveying for a widow who is wanting to sell a couple of her late husband's shotguns. He was questioning whether there was such a thing as a 24 gauge and said it was an American Arms 24 ga O/U. Anyone with an itch for a 24 ga, PM me and I'll give you a contact number to put you on the trail of this one.

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:37 am  Reply with quote

MS, getting the pin out is kinda tricky but once out the tool works great, I binge loaded an ample pile of them a couple years ago, so it's been awhile and can't remember if I ran the tool in reverse or forward, one worked better than the other, regardless, good luck with it. BTW; still interested in your DT Beretta when you decide to part with it.

Riflemeister, thanks for the heads-up, interested to learn the spec's on that shotgun, PM sent.