16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anyone hunt over an Irish Setter?
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

There's a great pic at this link:
https://www.irish-setter-club.de/welpen
From the German Irish setter club.

JeffL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 am  Reply with quote

I am sure you have been on this website, but just in case you haven't, there might be an upcoming field trial you could get to...

https://www.irishsetterclub.org/field_trials.html
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:34 am  Reply with quote

We had two Irish Setters born in 1975 in northern Minnesota. One we sold before a year old. He was a very large irish who loved water and would retrieve in water and on land. He was never hunted, as far as i know. His sister we had for almost 13 years and hunted now and then grouse. She pointed naturally but was not interested in retrieving. Have a fellow cub member who currently owns a red and white setter who works well. People in the club are biggest on wirehairs and "Daughhars" and GSPs
ROMAC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

My friend has one. It has a great nose , retrieves well and usually behaves herself.

Rpm150
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:41 am  Reply with quote

ROMAC wrote:
My friend has one. It has a great nose , retrieves well and usually behaves herself.

Know where they got it from? I’m looking to get a taller dog when I finally pull the trigger.
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 am  Reply with quote

There are a lot of setters moving around here in Ireland at relatively small money. Too many men want those bloody springers and cocker spaniels here now, such a pollution of a dog.
Might be a hardship to get one into the states, but I know a mate of mine was sending Wolfhounds from here to Texas a while ago. Worth a look https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=setter&area=&campaign=14
Rpm150
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Ross.m.scott wrote:
There are a lot of setters moving around here in Ireland at relatively small money. Too many men want those bloody springers and cocker spaniels here now, such a pollution of a dog.
Might be a hardship to get one into the states, but I know a mate of mine was sending Wolfhounds from here to Texas a while ago. Worth a look https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=setter&area=&campaign=14

Shame those aren’t all in the United States. They have some of the best looking litters I’ve seen.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 am  Reply with quote

The Irish setter would be the Gordon setter light.....in that each suffers from a comparably small and shallow gene pool re birdhunting these days.

Accept that reality, research, base expectations appropriately and you might well find that for which you search.

Personally, if a dog with oomph fits your Life and manner of hunt, then the red setters of today, as opposed to the Irish, will offer more depth of practical development afield...from Boser, Fazenbaker, et al.

A red dogs is...a beautiful dog.
Good Luck.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:47 am  Reply with quote

A limited gene pool is the very thing that gives you a Gordon Setter, or, an Irish Setter, or, for that matter, a lab. If the gene pool isn’t limited, you loose the characteristics that make any breed what it is.
If speaking of the US, where the American Kennel Club has done more to destroy good field stock than any pestilence ever could, your statement might be partially true. But, limiting the gene pool is exactly what you do to get predictable results in your breeding program. You breed to bring forward the traits you desire, and the dogs winning shows have little in common with field dogs. The show people were unconcerned with those traits.
The AKC holds no sway to hunting clubs in the rest of the world. One can find superb hunting stock in all of the Setter breeds outside the US. There are breeders right here working with foreign stock.
One dog, circa 1959, was the foundation of Norman Sorby’s entire “Springset” Gordon Setter line.
Hard to argue with the results, and with what he accomplished for the breed.

Best,
Ted

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:35 am  Reply with quote

I was not speaking of breed purity, in any fashion....I was speaking of the potential of any breed to reproduce in a somewhat predictable way and to develop field potential ....re gamebirds.
To me, that takes more focus than is presently seen with the Irish....anecdotal evidence aside and accepting the clear influence which Show has had on several field breeds.

And actually, I did not use the term "limited"...I said small and shallow re birdhunting.
I see a difference in the terms.
However, if you think differently, fine....I'm sure that I am then wrong.

I also understand Gordon history.....one is lying next to me as I type.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:06 am  Reply with quote

tramroad28,

Seems more people on the 16 forum have Gordon Grouse dogs than I might have imagined.

Recently purchased a new Gordon pup from Clearcut Kennel myself, would like to add a nice Irish Setter pup to the Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers also. Can't seem to find what Irish Setter Grouse dog I want however. I do not want another Red Setter, I want a real Irish Setter gun dog, from a good breeding program, with no strings attached after purchasing the dog.

Ted,
My male Gordon Setter was a Springset dog and he was a very serious natural Grouse dog, who accounted for lots of Grouse and Woodcock during his life time.
Norm definitely knew his business.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
ole_270
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Had an Irish Setter that trained me to hunt as a kid. Dad wasn't a hunter so we never got started even though we lived on the farm and had a lot of quail. My aunt picked up an Irish Setter for a pet and there was a guy in town that had a good hunting female that wanted to breed her. My Aunt got pick of the litter and she gave the pup to us kids. He grew into a big, raw boned farm dog. The next year we were out in the pasture looking for some stray cattle and the dog went on what I can only describe as a "slump". I walked over to see what was wrong with him and a covey of quail about took my head off. My brother and I started carrying shotguns and even hit a few birds. That dog turned into one of the best covey dogs I've ever seen. Steady to a fault.
A couple years later I bought a female out by Wichita, the folks I bought her from were field trialers, but liked the smaller, closer working dogs. This pup grew to look more brittany than Irish, belieing her papers and supposed pedigree. Short ranged and biddable, she was a master at cleaning up on singles. The pair made quite a combo.
Now 50 years later, I don't have a dog and no quail to hunt if I did have one.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

ole_270,

To bad about the loss of your Quail Coveys, the old Setter dogs sound great, and you still have the memories!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Rpm150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Ross.m.scott wrote:

Believe it or not, I found exactly the dog I was looking for but the guy didn’t want to ship the puppy to America for me. 65#, 26” sire, 50# 25” dam, chestnut color, excellent hunting pedigree. I came so close but the quest continues!!
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I don't want to throw cold water on anyone's plans or ideas about importing dogs from Ireland (in particular) or Europe (generally). But, a few years ago a friend had a very nice Wheaton Terrier pup sent in from Ireland. All well and good, but the dog had a bad case of brucellosis (undisclosed, of course) and came close to having to be destroyed. As it was, he lost his equipment over it.

Needless to say, there was no rebate on the purchase price.

As diseases go that's a particularly nasty one because you can catch it from the dog.

Not to mention cattle - the Department of Agriculture people would surely come down hard on that. It's wickedly contagious and some states might require a vet to report it to the government, like a venereal disease case in people.

I think if one is going to import a dog, it's probably wise to have a trusted intermediary on the Euro side of the deal - not the seller/breeder - working on the buyer's side, who has his own vet over there to make sure the dog is healthy and worth the trouble of importing. Before it gets to the airport and before the funds pass to the seller. Nothing negative about anyone here, but it seems almost like buying a used car long distance.