16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Discontinued Herters 16ga?
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Eleven boxes of 6's(410) just arrived from Wi. via FedX. Looked about Cold Irons box. I don't care, for $4.88 I can rebox em. When I was a kid I'd dump out Dad's .410's and rebox em for fun. Will be like old times.

+1
Nice for storage, if their in a flat though...
hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

I just had 4 flats arrive this afternoon. All sealed flats. Should be getting 2 more from a subsequent order, tomorrow. got confirmation on that.
ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

My last 2 flats arrived today. Somehow 12 flats seems just about right.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

I found a box on my porch when i got home from work this evening. The size and shape told me that is was not two flats as I had hoped. I took the box into my reloading room before opening as I expected a mess and that was what I found when I opened the box. Loose boxes of 16ga shells with a couple boxes torn open and loose shells throughout the box. Finally found all of the 20 boxes ordered but several had to be taped closed to hold the ammo and will not be re-used.
Definitely packaged by someone who did not care about his job or the customer. Another example of how Cabela's has gone downhill and has lost another customer.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

I have to wonder if the discontinued herter’s shells are a decision by cabelas or the supplier. Cabelas has a contract to import these shotshells, and it is quite possible the producer decided not to renew the contact for their own reasons.

Maybe the terms of contract were not sustainable or they have another buyer that is more profitable or just easier to deal with (more volume). Maybe cabelas has another supplier in the pipeline and they are discontinuing the current line to clear the way for the new line? Anyway lots of possibilities that are beyond the cabelas exec’s are dolts with their head stuck up, well you know. Time will tell..
Cass
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Cass wrote:
I got the tracking numbers. The 3 flats worth are being shipped from 2 different stores, so at least its not 15 different stores. One shipment is coming from Fort Worth, the closest store. The other shipment is coming from Prairie Du Chien, WI.

Hopefully they're not like Cold Iron's, ha. We'll see.

Cass

My 3 flats arrived. I guess I got lucky, mine came as 3 intact flats. Two were in one oversize box and the other shipped in the actual flat box.

Cass
Cass
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:57 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
I have to wonder if the discontinued herter’s shells are a decision by cabelas or the supplier. Cabelas has a contract to import these shotshells, and it is quite possible the producer decided not to renew the contact for their own reasons.

Maybe the terms of contract were not sustainable or they have another buyer that is more profitable or just easier to deal with (more volume). Maybe cabelas has another supplier in the pipeline and they are discontinuing the current line to clear the way for the new line? Anyway lots of possibilities that are beyond the cabelas exec’s are dolts with their head stuck up, well you know. Time will tell..

There was some information posted by MAJENKINS a user on the shotgunworld forum:

I sent the following email to Cheddite, I'll let y'all know if I hear back. MAJ

A number of my fellow shooters and I are devoted users of the Cheddite-producted Herter’s brand of shot shells. It is our understanding that as a result of Bass Pro’s acquisition of Cabela’s that the Herter’s line is being discontinued. Would you please let me know if Cheddite plans to re-enter the US market and sell shells similar to Herter’s through another source? The Herter shells are an excellent product, clean shooting and I’ve never had a failure with them. Many of us would love to see them back in the USA.

Below is the response from Cheditte. If you want to send them some suggestions for retailers or just words of encouragement, the email address is mcorsi@chedditeitaly.it. Mary Ann

Dear Mary Ann,
It is with great pleasure we received your email.
Unfortunately the information in your hands is correct, we are not going to supply Herter’s products anymore. This does not mean we are unprepared or unready to start the distribution of our products in U.S. market. Of course Herter’s is a brand owed by Cabelas and we cannot sell the same line. We have another line ready to be sold in U.S. , we are just looking for a new importer. May be you know any possible distributor ,even in Texas,that could be interested in this deal?
If so, please let us be in contact with him.

Thanks for your support, we are confident to start again our work with U.S. very soon.
With my best regards

Manuela
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 am  Reply with quote

I just got an email from Cabela's informing me that my order of two flats of Herter's brand shells has been canceled. These were 12-gauge shells that I wanted for winter league trap and skeet.

I replied that they could replace them with Remington Gun Clubs at the same sale price (39.88 a flat). Not much hope of that, but we shall see.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:09 am  Reply with quote

My order was received this AM. The 16's came by flats, the .410's, packed loose, but well packaged.
Very Happy
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have received the 22 boxes of 16 gauge and the 11 boxes of 410.
20 of the 16 gauge were in flats and two separate,

The 11 boxes of 410 were not in a flat but were well packaged.

The odd thing on the one 16 gauge order of 11 boxes
One box (flat) was sent from one store and the other single box
was sent from another store Shocked

Mike

hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Just received my last order of 6's. Out of stock now. One package; 1 intact flat and 10 loose boxes. All were packaged nicely though and undamaged.
jswanson
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:49 am  Reply with quote

ordered a flat of 28's. seemed like a good price and they were available.

Nasty-G
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

I went to the Cabelas in Prairie Du Chien yesterday to get some . Had a few that were spoken for as all I wanted was a flat. We talked & he said give him a minute. Came back and told me he would get me a flat from Texas. $30.00 shipped to his store. Nice guy. was gonna ask for more but didn't want to be greedy. I have more than I will ever use now.

Timn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

My 70 boxes of herters came in today 35 boxes of 6s field loads and 35 boxes of 1 1/8 7.5s wished I would have bought more but I already had 6 flats of 8s. 2 flats of pheasant load 5s and another 2 flats of those heavy 7.5s yes I shoot a lot.
Timn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

My 70 boxes of herters came in today 35 boxes of 6s field loads and 35 boxes of 1 1/8 7.5s wished I would have bought more but I already had 6 flats of 8s. 2 flats of pheasant load 5s and another 2 flats of those heavy 7.5s yes I shoot a lot.