16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Needing Voice of Experience in Choosing First 16ga SxS
Tbone
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Mike and also to all of you for your insight!

One more question. If I were to go with a modern gun, are there any out there built on a true 16ga frame that are affordable?

Pockets
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Tbone wrote:
Thanks for the welcome Mike and also to all of you for your insight!

One more question. If I were to go with a modern gun, are there any out there built on a true 16ga frame that are affordable?

The FAIR Iside is. It is quite slim and very nice to carry.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Fair Iside:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795288844

Don't know anyone who has bought one, though...
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I sure like my Iside, but they are new, so there’s no track record yet. That said, you do get a 3 year warranty, steel shot safe, and the choke tubes make your one 16 pretty versatile.
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

What's your budget? Big difference between $500 guns and $5,000 guns.
Jeff
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

I like the old American doubles. They can be pricey or inexpensive depending on condition. Collectors unfortunately see the things as investments and this runs up the price so many folks can't afford a nice old gun. But on the flip side of that coin, the values go down quickly as guns become less than perfect. Good solid shooters with a little bluing wear or "faded" case colors sell much cheaper. My Fox, L.C. Smith, and Ithaca N.I.D. 16's were purchased for $500-$685.

Several folks have already mentioned it and I typically point it out as well; the Lefever Nitro Special is one heck of a good gun that is often purchased mighty cheap. $300-$500 is what I see them selling for. One as nice as Ted's would cost a little more since it is in such amazing condition.

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Here's one worth considering making an offer on. It's a Manufrance Robust in 16 ga. with what appears to be great barrel thickness. Chambers aren' t what you specified, however. You won't find an American double at this price with this metalwork. www.vintagedoubles.com #47657 The asking price is $1100. Kirby Hoyt, owner, is a first class, reputable dealer.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Cable guy has this for sale on this site:

LeFever DS 16ga 28" ext 2 3/4" cham CYL/IM 1 1/2"x 2 1/2" 14"
Odd number stamps in the bottom of the receiver on either side of the lug, unsure of their meaning or purpose. Blue is thin, some case color left on the side plates. Good wood finish, no visible breaks or cracks, great figure in the butt. Good bores functions and shoots perfectly, tight and on face $800

Great dimensions, 2 3/4" chambers, great wood, and perfect chokes for your purposes. If I wasn't getting ready to buy a house soon, I would already own this.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

I am surprised you don't already. Then again I am surprised I don't. It's actually nicer than the one I have and I am still pondering buying that gun. If it's still there when I have the cash...

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

I won my Nitro in a gunbroker auction. It was $257, but, there was some furry rust on the barrels exterior when I bid on it. I figured for $257, I could take a chance. The barrels were fine, a reblue brought them back to about perfect, I think that cost $80, shipped. One of the barrels had sone rust creeping into the choke, I elected to do 16 gauge polishing, just using the gun and keeping it clean, that has actually worked well, better than I hoped. You wouldn’t notice it if I didn’t show you it. More shooting will improve it, I’m sure.
The balance of the gun was about 98%, weird. It came out of Maine, 26” tubes with CYL and MOD chokes, looked like some guy got his idea of a perfect grouse gun in 1937, then stood it in the corner and forgot about it. Maybe it would have sold for more with longer barrels, who knows? The moral is shop around and know a good ‘smith, I guess.
Very happy with the gun. It does all I ask of it.

Best,
Ted

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe this?

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21797

Little Creek
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Check this deal:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21797

Good starter kit.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:20 am  Reply with quote

You may want to also consider a postwar German gun made under the Sauer, Simson or Merkel names. If it's a gun made during the 1945-1990 period, you can get a decent gun that, given proper care, will last a very long time, and for not a lot of money. Prices went through the roof to where Merkels are today, post reunification.
I have a 12 ga Simson, built 1979, and a BUHAG drilling 16x16/8x57R built 1982 and both are solid guns well worth every penny.

Tbone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the valuable input folks!
I appreciate your thoughtful help on this.

Unfortunately it looks like I will have to put off my acquisition due to pressing family issues.

But in spite of that setback thanks again for the guidance!
I really appreciate it!

Todd
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I sure like my Iside, but they are new, so there’s no track record yet. That said, you do get a 3 year warranty, steel shot safe, and the choke tubes make your one 16 pretty versatile.

I shoot an Iside Vintage hammer double ( in 20), in fact my partner and I are the reason that particular shotgun exists, but that is a another story.
Luca Rizzinii had such a great response that FAIR is actually bringing it out in a 16 and a 28 as well as adding the 20 to their regular line up.
The 2200 was originally only a one hundred gun run to see what the response was.
I have several seasons of hard shooting through my 20, steel and lead, in goose blinds and the pheasant fields as well as skeet and trap.
Fantastic SxS!

Cat