16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 Gauge SXS Double Guns - The Grouse Hunters favorite tool
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Where I was raised the 16 Gauge SXS double gun was the Grouse and Woodcock hunters favorite tool. Granted the 28 comes in a close 2nd, however the 16 gets used more because early in the season it is able to shoot thru the thick foliage and down an escaping Grouse or Woodcock.

Because I was raised in a family that shot a lot more Grouse & Woodcock than any other fur or feather, most of us boys ended up with more than a few 16 gauge guns set up for the different mountains we hunted on. In fact one of my favorite 16 gauge guns has two different Barrels one for Grouse, Woodcock and Quail and a 2nd barrel for Pheasant and Duck. Each has it own fore end stock, for the different choked barrel.

To me there is nothing like the 16 gauge SXS double gun, many of the men I know, especially from the younger generations, think I am crazy for hunting with the L.C. Smith double guns that have been passed down to me. However no matter how much the guns are now valued at, I will always continue using them to bird hunt.

Having recently replaced both a Pre War 16 gauge J.P. Sauer Best Grouse gun and a LeFever/Ithaca 12 gauge double gun on a 16 gauge frame, I have also been using them on a regular basis for both Grouse and Pheasant hunting. Got to admit the special made LeFever/Ithaca on the 16 gauge frame, with the Brown Rotary Bolt is one serious piece of Grouse and Pheasant killing engineering.

I fully understand why my Great Grandfather brought the 16 Gauge J.P. Sauer Best Grouse gun home from Germany long ago. This light 16 gauge gun is actually built on a 20 gauge frame, and it's an addictive Grouse gun to carry and shoot. With the new 2 1/2" SpredR shells it's a very serious bird gun.

I have more 16 gauge SXS double guns than any other. I am known as a serious Grouse hunter.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

LeFever/Ithaca, L.C. Smith and J.P. Sauer SXS double guns. Some of our treasured Grouse Guns. All made before 1913 except the LeFever/Ithaca made in 1926.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55878_800x600/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
stubshaft
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Great looking ensemble!

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

stubshaft,

Not bad, the youngest gun is now 93 years old this year, and they all work perfectly. Good old American & German made Best double guns, ya go to love em.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

That is a fine quartet of grouse guns! Is that Sauer sub 6lbs?

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Ruff Hunter,

Yes about 5.9 Lbs with the swivels.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

stubshaft
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
stubshaft,

Not bad, the youngest gun is now 93 years old this year, and they all work perfectly. Good old American & German made Best double guns, ya go to love em.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

There are no Woodcock in my neck of the woods but I do use a 1887 Belgium Damascus double for doves and Francolin. 16 gauge of course. Wink

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

stubshaft,

The 1887 Belgium Damascus double sounds interesting, how about some pictures?

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

stubshaft
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Once I figure out how to do it, I'll try and post a couple of pics.