16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Clay Delay Voice Release (HOA request)
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I mentioned in replying to HOA's Thanksgiving skeet post that I too had shot Thanksgiving skeet and had used my voice release and HOA asked for info so here goes.

I often times show up at my club with no friend along to find no one there. This gets old as I like to shoot every chance I get so I looked around this last spring and finally settled on a Clay Delay Autopuller Deluxe voice release system. Good decision - few drawbacks and I use it every couple of weeks.

http://www.claydelay.com/deluxecustom.html

I should say at the outset, I am not thrilled with shooting alone - I just can't get someone out to the club every time I can go.

I shoot skeet at Town and Country Gun Club in Maryville IL. The skeet machines are the old Winchesters single stack and the pull cord is hooked (plugged) up to a center post close to station 8. The club went a long time ago to buying heavy duty extension cords and cutting off the female end and replacing it with an Olin three button release - plugging the male end into an all-weather power cord recepticle. This layout played into my decision.

Rather than go wireless, I bought the Clay Delay and put a 3-prong plug on the unit following the wiring diagram and then use a standard 100 foot extension cord on a reel - works perfectly. I just plug the male end into the recepticle and the female end into the male plug on the clay delay.

I made the following choices/options singles/doubles, voice delay, and report pair. I chose these three options for the following reasons:

1 - I am a skeet shooter (or masquerade as one anyway)

2 - I sometimes tend to start the gun before calling pull and with voice release I can set up to a 4-5 second delay (can be varied from slow to fast) - stops the pre-call swinging. Further, I shoot occasionally at low gun, random delay shoots - practice makes perfect Wink

3 - I thought the report pair would be neat - and it is. You can shoot the high or low bird first and on-report the other house throws a bird (activated by gunshot).

You can use this unit with other shooters as a voice ans standard release - whoever wears the voice call can push a button to overide the voice and a release will occur.

Here is how it works on standard skeet - voice call activated. I step onto station one and push a high house button - on my "PULL" (when ready) the bird is released and smashed (every time Wink ), next I push the low house button and on my "PULL" the low house bird is released and smashed (every time Wink ). Pushing both buttons simultaneously and the same "PULL" gets the double (release).

There is a mike with ear plug jack that plugs into clay delay unit and clips on my shirt. I tuck the cord into my pocket or inside front of shirt to keep out of way.

I put carribeaner climbing clips on the extension cord and clay delay cord so the plugs would not pull apart and this also allows me to attach to my shooting pouch belt.

So far all has been great. I spent $149 + $8 shipping for loads of fun. I can show up at the club anytime between 8 am and sunset to shoot skeet without worrying about a partner.

The only drawback so far is the belt clip on the back of the unit - it could be designed a little better - need to be longer. If I sit with the unit on, it slips up and off the belt - but in retrospect this has a little to do with how I wear it - right in front of my right front pants pocket.

I would definitely buy this unit again (and have considered the trap model too).

I got a sheet in with my purchase that says if I demonstrate (well this is a virtual demonstration right, Wink ) and you order, I can get a $10 check and you can get free shipping - if you give them my name (Bill Retzlaff)when ordering. Go for it....

Dr. 16 Gauge
clays addict
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Hey Bustingclays,

I have a similar problem, often, when shooting sporting clays(I want to shoot way more often than my friends). So, I end up looking for a puller/shooter or don't get to shoot. Too bad we don't live closer, we could solve each others problem. Although, it sounds like you have found a workable solution.

I got to shoot sporting at an all automatic (including a delay switch) that allowed the shooter to shoot alone on the course. Man, it was great! Kinda went on a shooting frenzy for a couple of days(I was on vaction). I wish there was a course close by with a similar set-up. Oh well, as they say.

Keep smashing them!!

Clays addict
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

bc-thanks------ Very Happy
mlewis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Claybuster,
Who needs friends when you have a Clay Delay?? I bought mine a few months ago and it's great.

Mike