16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth shot
61bhs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Here in Illinois they have made use switch to no-tox! I asked a DNR department head how a warden was going to check reloads for bismuth. His answer was they would ask you if it was and take your word! The only ways I have of telling is by weighing the same number of 5s of both lead and bismuth. Another way was crushing,lead just flattens evenly but bismuth has fractures around the edge.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

I thought there was a device called a "Hot Shot" they used in Fl.
Not 100% sure, though..
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I make custom waterfowl loads from new, unmarked components. To answer the question of what's inside, I carry a label from the non-toxic shot (ITX or Bismuth) a zip-lock bag and a 3M lead test stick. When asked, I tell them what's in it and offer the test kit for them to pop the crimp on any one they like, dump and test it. I ask they be careful not to spill any $$$. Been checked multiple times, but so far, none have been opened.

Do not use shells that were ever loaded with lead. The 3M kits have 'found' the traces left in the hull.

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

duckdup,
That's a good idea, if I want to check some loads, I'm buying from someone, I don't know well.
But I'm not providing the State with didly, to do their job.
I do enough of that, in lisence fees and sales tax.
I love the guys and gals on the line, I'll always have their back, as long as their within the law, and I always offer a cold drink and respectful conversation, but none of the 90 I'm given to use ....
And the tip on not using shells, previously loaded with lead is a great tip as well.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

Pronghornsouth, total respect! I just figure $1.95 test in my pocket may avoid a long interruption of a hunt while all my unmarked shells take a trip to the state lab.
A test kit and a bottle of G2 or cup-o-joe and you might make a new best friend who knows where the birds are...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 am  Reply with quote

PRONGHORNSOUTH wrote:
duckdup,
That's a good idea, if I want to check some loads, I'm buying from someone, I don't know well.
But I'm not providing the State with didly, to do their job.
I do enough of that, in lisence fees and sales tax.
I love the guys and gals on the line, I'll always have their back, as long as their within the law, and I always offer a cold drink and respectful conversation, but none of the 90 I'm given to use ....
And the tip on not using shells, previously loaded with lead is a great tip as well.

Totally agree, I'm not doing someone else's job or bearing any more extra expense if I don't have to. If a Game Warden does not have the equipment or training to test your shells in the field then it's the states problem not yours !!
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am  Reply with quote

Never had them check a shell.License,stamps and magazine capacity,and birds in the bag that's it.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Never had them check a shell.License,stamps and magazine capacity,and birds in the bag that's it.

Thankfully, ditto here. I've heard of a but've never seen a handheld gizmo that can administer a nondestructive test to a shell.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 am  Reply with quote

1st trip to Standing Rock , we were stopped by a GO . He had a gizmo that could tell him what WAS IN THE SHELL . Never thought to ask if residue would show up - would be pretty miniscule maybe .

duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Non-toxic field test information from USF&W site includes the “HOT*SHOT” field testing device from Stream Systems of Concord, CA. It also lists methods for testing other types...

https://www.fws.gov/birds/bird-enthusiasts/hunting/nontoxic.php

Check it out...

https://www.streamsystems.com/stream_website/hotshot/more_info/hotshot.htm

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Do believe that next waterfowl season I will carry a zip lock bag with a copy of my hunting and drivers licenses inside. If a officer wants a shell he can have whichever one he picks to test,just gimme a receipt.