16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Idaho chukar hunt
larry
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:54 am  Reply with quote

We haven't been chukar hunting for a while due to work constraints and getting ready for winter work. Shoe man and I left yesterday and arrived at Oxbow dam around 10am. The drive down was beautiful. The Wallowas in Oregon have some snow and the canyon was beautiful. I looked at the steep mountains and said to myself, "Why do you inflict such pain on your self?" After hunting and walking six hours I found out. I was renewed in spirit and body. The dog made at least 10 great points and I manage to shoot above average. My average is about four shots for one chukar. I am always amazed at the stark beauty of the place(Hells canyon). I keep going back. Shoe Man is doing great, he is three now and I couldn't ask for a better chukar dog. He is a Wired Haired Pointing Griffon. Maybe a bit heavy, at 70# but a hard worker and a great retriever. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy So I am happy and renewed. Larry
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

Larry, you're a lucky guy. I've never hunted chukars and the scenery has to be beautiful....shoot some for me and have a great season !

Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

larry - post some pictures for us. My wife's father's family lived in Wallowa, OR. I had the opportunity to visit there about 20 yrs ago. What a beautiful place! The valley was the summer grounds of the Nez Pierce indians that the white man coveted, therefore dooming the indians. I believe that Chief Joseph is buried a little ways up the road in the town of Joseph.

Hc

larry
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:12 am  Reply with quote

I will get some pictures posted. There is two months of the season left so hopefully I get a friend of mine who has a digital camera to go and take some pictures. Larry Very Happy Very Happy
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a great hunt. I am planning trip to Idaho in the near future. If anyone can provide some insight on the Pheasant/Chukar hunting there, locations, contacts, etc, I would greatly appreciate it. PM's are fine. Thanks.