16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Pheasants forever / Ruffed grouse society?
Rpm150
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Just curious how many of our members are also members of the other various clubs out there such as pheasants forever and the ruffed grouse society? Have you noticed any benefit to being a member? I joined the ruffed grouse but they don’t do any habitat work anywhere near where I live.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

Rpm150,

I have been a RGS member sense 1961, was a sponsor and Guide for many years also. It's not the great program that it started out to be, however they are recovering from some bad management. In the beginning RGS was formed by men who wanted to assure the there would be Grouse in large numbers to hunt. Unfortunately today it was become a Conservation program. In the beginning Conservation was one of many tools used by RGS to propagate large Grouse numbers for the members to hunt.

I am still a member and try to get to the HQ banquet as much as I can. I still recommend you stay as a member, participate where you can, we still do a lot of good with habitat management. Not always in the area that you might live however.

The new Magazine is fantastic also. The people you can meet and learn from are still around, but in much smaller numbers than when I was a boy. If you have a local RGS chapter in your area, its a good place to learn about actual Grouse hunting, dogs, and ethics and tradition.

If you get out to Pa some time, I will be glad to help you become a 1st class Grouse and Woodcock hunter.

I do not belong to Pheasant Forever any longer.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Grouse hunting and Fly Fishing is our family traditional way of life here in the endless mountains of Pa. RGS is still worth while.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56008_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:48 am  Reply with quote

I've been a member of Pheasants Forever...well, forever. I figure it's the least I can do to try to support a game bird that's provided me with so much enjoyment, not to mention good meals. Plus they publish a nice calendar every year Very Happy .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Quail Forever for me.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:03 am  Reply with quote

RGS has undergone some changes as Dave points out, but is still a very worthwhile coservation org to support. I have been the chapter chairman in the Wheeling, Wv/ Eastern ohio region for 34 years, and a sponsor for almost that long.
Where are you from? You said there were no projects in your area.
Pine creek Dave--hope you had a good season. I had the rug pulled out from under me when my mitral valve stopped working while in the UP this year, and was supposed to go to Kansas with our mutual buddy Kenny. I'm doing great now after surgery, and dont plan to miss a beat next year. Good to see a pic of you, remember we had my cousin Bob W. in common

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am  Reply with quote

I am a member of RGS and actively involved. Our chapter has sponsored over 1000 acres in habitat improvements over the last 8 years. We work closely with PA Game commission and the State forest service to implement landscape size habitat projects in area's that will have the biggest impact. Locally here in Lancaster county the grouse are all but gone. we concentrate on area's within a few hours drive that still have viable populations. RGS has made a major impact in the teaching and awareness of the need for Early successional habitat. They have impacted the state and national forest management on the east coast and upper Midwest. There is more money flowing to these critical projects than ever before. The major difference now is these are landscape or large projects. In our area a couple acre chapter project doesn't have the desired impact. At this point it's all oars in the water the birds are disappearing fast. All the folks at RGS are passionate about the mission and willing to do whatever it takes. Ben Jones is the new CEO he is a highly trained biologist understands the challenges and is committed to the membership and the birds. If you have biologically sound and great future projects in your area PM me. I will help you understand the process to get these projects looked at and off the ground. The need for membership is great it helps get the attention of the state and federal governments to look at the forest management practices. We desperately need more active management and cutting PA's goal is 10% Early successional habitat. We need closer to 20 but have to start somewhere. If you live east of the Mississippi Grouse and woodcock are all we have left. I would urge all bird hunters to support RGS.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Well said, Pudlepointer

hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
If you live east of the Mississippi Grouse and woodcock are all we have left. I would urge all bird hunters to support RGS.

So true and so very sad.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

3birddogs,

Ken did advise me the you had some medical problems, hope you recover totally and can get back in the forest next year.

I had some problems one time when Ken and I were headed to NH for Grouse hunting trip. My blood pressure sky rocketed and I could not get it back down for over 4 days, very dangerous situation that canceled our trip to NH that season.

I am pretty much back on my feet at this point, you know you are welcome at the Log Cabin in Potter/Tioga any time, to Grouse hunt.

This seasons Grouse hunting was just fantastic, early snow that made the birds sit tight and fantastic dog work. We took a bunch of Grouse in the 1st 10 days of the season for sure. Great dog work from Penny my old Gordon female, in her last season of Grouse hunting on the big mountain. I will miss her so badly, she is one of the very best Grouse dogs we have ever had.

Penny had so many Grouse points in the 1st week I actually quit counting them. I waited to long to get my new Gordon pup from Clearcut kennels, should have done it 2 years ago, now Shadow will not be able to have Penny teach her how to walk Grouse to set point. Penny is way to old now. She really went down hill physically after the season closed.

Poodlepointer,

Good write up on the RGS explanation.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Ken with his 16 gauge Parker, just after shooting his 1st Grouse, a few years back, over Penny and Daisy.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56010_800x600/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

I am a member of Pheasants Forever, but given that I live in CT, I don't really know how well it works. From what little I have seen, I believe they are a positive.

Was a Ruffed Grouse Society member until I saw them at work. Big show, big signs, destroyed a beautiful area for grouse by not carrying on the efforts of the original landowner and heavily advertising how well they had done, by erecting a huge sign designating the area as grouse habitat. The Gentleman who originally owned the property clear cut 5 acre parcels among the 500 acres at various intervals which kept the grouse and woodcock there. After RGS no more clear cutting. 500 acres in CT is big for a parcel of land but you can't advertise and have people hunting on it daily and expect there to be any grouse left. You can't do that with any game bird, too much pressure and they are gone from the property.

Before RGS I was flushing 4 -5 birds in a 3 to 4 hour period on that parcel. Now there isn't a single bird in sight.

I don't give two hoots if I can or can't hunt on every parcel of land that there are game birds on. As long as there are game birds on the land I am happy. Once you lose grouse and woodcock they are not coming back, at least not in CT.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37,

These are some of the mistakes of the old RGS management, got to tell ya it was disheartening. The new management has cleaned up most of this foolishness and things are looking up in RGS.

Don't give up on RGS I have seen many many changes sense 1961. We had a great RGS in the beginning, I am hopeful it will return to it's prior Grouse management days.

We need the old time Grouse hunters to come back to RGS and help the new members go on into the future, making a strong Grouse population for the Grouse hunter in the future. I do believe RGS is trying hard to return to it's original mandate of assuring a strong Grouse population, for the American Grouse hunter.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

This is what RGS is all about, not simply Conservation. Assuring stable and growing Grouse populations for the American Grouse Hunter to enjoy our traditional American sport.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56015_800x600/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56014_800x600/] [/URL]

PatrickB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

There are many aspects to these conservation orgs that go beyond on the ground habitat projects. An example would be a voice at the political table which can be just as, if not more, important than anything. I promise you the "other" special interests are there more than hunters and/or game bird habitat conservation interests. I'm no fan of politics but understand its influence at the local, state and federal levels. All that aside, each org has their positive and less than positive moments. At one time or another I've had issues with all of them but most anything that gets done in my state involves their efforts.

JMO
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 am  Reply with quote

I am a member of Pheasants Forever and supporter, soon to be a member of, Quail Forever. I have enjoyed hunting these birds for many years. When I grew up in Missouri there were no pheasants so we had to go to Kansas to hunt them. Now I live in SE Kansas and the quail population has dwindled down terribly and much work is needed to try and restore the population.
I rarely travel east of the Mississippi river and have never hunted grouse but I support efforts to keep them going.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
3birddogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Even though there is no pheasant hunting in my area aside from put and take stocked birds, I support Pheasants Forever also. Seems to be a good organization.
Their job is just much easier than that of RGS. Far easier to influence the population of birds by farming practices and letting land lie fallow, than by trying to develop young successional forests by cutting, as all the forestry/DNR divisions espouse, but find it very difficult to acomplish.
Look at the birds themselves, you can raise pheasants by the hundreds in pens, but trying to raise a single pair of grouse is extremely difficult and largely an exercise in futility.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave,

I am sad to hear that my first hand experience with RGS, wasn't something that only happened in my neck of the woods.

I am glad to hear that RGS has gone a different direction.

I will definitely look into the organization again.

The birds need all the help they can get.