16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How Should I Think About A 20ga Shotgun?
rWt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am a newbie here. I presently own 2 12ga, 1 28ga and 1 16 ga shotguns.All SXS's. One 12ga and my 28ga have Briley tubes in them so I can shoot steel shot if need be.

Currently thinking about adding another SXS-possibly another 16 ga. The one I have is a mid-30's Wm. Evans with 2 1/2" chambers. I shoot RST ammo in it-I do not handload..

So, my circle of friends wants me to buy a 20ga SXS so we can all shoot 20ga's together from time to time. I'm resisting. I don't see a reason to own a 20ga. My one 16ga weighs 6#3oz with 28" barrels and if I want a lighter gun, I have the 28ga that weighs 6" even. That's light enough for me.

Thus, I would very much appreciate it if you 16ga veterans would help me understand how to think about 20ga guns and their advantages.

Thank you.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

The advantages of a 20 gauge over a 16 gauge are a wide variety of new shotguns for various uses, tube sets and the availability of cheap ammo.

I don't own a 20 gauge....and as far as the above go....I have no interest.

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Variety is the spice of life

I have 20 gauge guns in O/U, Auto, Pump, SXS, but I have the same
in 16 gauge guns, plus a drilling

What fun, what fun

Mike

p.s. do your friends want you to get a 20 gauge gun so they can use your ammo or because you out shoot them Smile

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

rWt,

Owning a nice collection of Pre- 1913 L.C. Smith double guns, I use them for Grouse hunting at different times on different mountains that I hunt. The 20 gauge guns I own are very light guns, that I use when the leaves on the trees have started to fall, before the leaves have mostly all fallen and I use my 28 gauge guns.

The L.C. 20 Gauge guns are actually very light, in fact lighter than my 28 gauge 555 Savage, that I use to train dogs with.

IMO a man should own as many different good guns, in as many different gauges as he wants too.

Purchasing a new double gun is an individual responsibility, your friends, if that is truly what they are, should not be pressuring you into a purchase of any double gun what so ever.

Sense you already own some good double guns, purchase only the additional guns you actually want to own and use, other peoples opinions should be irrelevant.

This being said, I am a member of the NRA Speakers Bureau and advise people all the time to own as many good double guns as they can personally afford.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith 1926 Field Grade 20 Guage.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56007_600x400/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Builder
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Shoot 7/8 oz ammo so it is the same as theirs.

Big advantage is there is plenty of inexpensive ammo for a 20g. Make sure to buy one that will shoot inexpensive target type off the shelf ammo if that is attractive.

None anymore for a 16g. now that Herters has been dropped by Cabelas.

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

I don't see a reason not to own a 20 ga. While my more than a handful of 16 ga. doubles are as light, if not lighter, than many modern 20 gauges, the old 16's require special feeding. The one 20 ga. double I carry most often is 5 lbs. 11 oz. and shoots modern 2.75" ammo that is available at any store that carries shotgun ammo. My 16 ga. ammo must either be handloaded by me or bought from Polywad or RST. My 16 ga. pumps can shoot modern full length ammo.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

When shooting clays our squad often shoots the same gauge and payload to keep it even----then sometimes you will see all four gauges represented.It boils down to your personal finances and desire to aquire another gun--
stubshaft
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with owning and shooting a twenty. I myself own two of them, one 8 bore, one 10, three 12's, one 410 and eleven 16's...

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
rWt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Thank you all. Much appreciated.

I'll keep an open mind and see if I find a 20ga SXS that strikes my fancy.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 am  Reply with quote

I'd tell your circle of friends, "Suck it up, I'm a 16 gauge guy!" Laughing
Little Creek
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Yes, you need a sweet little 20 Gauge O/U like a Beretta. Sub 6 pounds. Choke tubes. Modern. No expensive RST shells. Herters on sale for $4.88 a box! Cabelas in Anchorage has a 20 gauge Beretta Silver Pigeon I with 30" barrels for just $1300. They will ship to your closest store! Go for it!
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

I always hear, but what if you forget your 16 gauge shells Embarassed Who the heck would forget shells?? Twisted Evil
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

rWt,

What kind of good 20 Gauge SXS double gun are you interested in acquiring?

There are some serious Pre war J.P. Sauer best double guns around, or some LeFever 20 gauge guns, along with some nice Fox and L.C. Smith Best double guns, on the Net to pick from. I highly recommend the pre 1913 20 gauge L.C. Smith Double guns, especially the graded guns, or the pre War best J.P. Sauer 20 gauge guns, very serious stuff at a reasonable cost.

Take a gander at the Net gun stores, they have a lot of different 20 Gauge double guns available. The Shooting Sportsman Magazine also has good double gun advertisements all the time, I have purchased from some of these gun dealers more than a few times, never had problem with any other them.

Good luck finding the 20 gauge SXS double gun you want.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smit Man

If you are looking for something more modern the O/U, 20/28 Browning Combo gun is also one of my recommendations. Great shooting stack barrel gun, I had zero problems with mine.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56009_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
rWt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you all.

I'm still a dedicated SXS guy. I'm also a stickler on workable stock dimensions, which knocks out a lot of early guns.

I check the major sites and dealers almost daily. Also, there are a couple of folks in the US and UK keeping an eye out for me.
rWt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you all.

I'm still a dedicated SXS guy. I'm also a stickler on workable stock dimensions, which knocks out a lot of early guns.

I check the major sites and dealers almost daily. Also, there are a couple of folks in the US and UK keeping an eye out for me.