16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Just bought a Ranger / Marlin 90. waiting to pick it up
thunderstick
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Holiday Greetings! ( from a member who hasn't been active on this great site for many years.) I looked for a 16 ga. O/U recently as I've (finally) kicked the SxS habit. I Acquired a 16 ga., 28" bbl. Ranger on GB ; it looks pretty good and seller has lots of v. good reviews. So, hopefully its a good one. Been reading all the info I can glean off the net on these guns over the last 2 weeks. Most knowledge resides right here at the 16 ga. Society! I will pattern the gun next week and then think about what, if anything to do with the chokes. I want to make it my primary pheasant gun. Gentlemen, thanks for being here and helping to keep the 16 ga. alive !
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome back Smile

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Have you looked up the production year yet? Mines a 1951 and I like it a lot. Hope you enjoy yours too and welcome back.

thunderstick
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't handled the gun yet, but photos show solid rib between barrels, pull off fore end. top barrel marked Ranger Model 103-H, checkered wood. I do not know serial number yet. I'm guessing maybe a late 40's gun ?
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:17 am  Reply with quote

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2052

The Brophy book mentioned might be of interest to you. Once you have a serial number I'm sure we'll be able to find a DOM for you. I remember that mine has a H prefix in the serial number that puts it at 1951

bobski
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:29 am  Reply with quote

early m-90's had the bbl rib. they removed it later on.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Thunderstick,

Congrats on the new gun!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

However there is still something to be said for old double guns.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55782_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
thunderstick
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 am  Reply with quote

L.C. Smith man: that's the most beautiful wood I've ever seen on a Smith. I had a L.C. Smith myself and sold her when I thought I wanted something a little lighter... dumb me - I shot that one better than any of the 5 SxS guns I kept buying and selling since then, looking for the magic wand. I still have a Bristish boxlock ( in 16 ga. of course). Love the looks of the classic SxS still... like vintage British motorcycles...
thunderstick
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Hey, that's not a L.C. smith gun...wood was so pretty I didn't look close enough !
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am  Reply with quote

thunderstruck,

That happens to be my buddy Ken's A Fox double gun, not an L.C. Smith, the wood is serious nice!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

thunderstick wrote:
I haven't handled the gun yet, but photos show solid rib between barrels, pull off fore end. top barrel marked Ranger Model 103-H, checkered wood. I do not know serial number yet. I'm guessing maybe a late 40's gun ?

Congratulations on becoming a Ranger (Model 90) owner. You mentioned that it is marked 103-H. Actually Sears marked 16 ga Ranger Marlin 90'a as 103-11.

Following up on Savaage16's post, there are no Factory serial number records prior to WWII to determine when the gun was made. After WWII Marlin used a letter prefix to indicate the year made.

From 1937 (when the Model 90 was introduced) to 1941, Sears used the Ranger trade name, so your gun was made prior to WWII. After WWII Sears used the JC Higgins trade name, Some Model 90's made in 1939 and 1940 have a bird dog scene stamped on the frame.

Some pre-WWII marlin model 90's have the chokes stamped on the left side of the barrels under the forearm near the frame. 28" barrels were typically choked Mod/Full.

Looking forward to pictures. Let us know how it shoots.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:32 am  Reply with quote

You have just now purchased possibly one of the finest shotguns of your lifetime.

That said if the chokes are untouched , leave them be , do your choke manipulation with the loads your shooting for the various situations at hand , member shooting a shotgun is an athletic event full of compromise.

You will never have the exact right tool at your disposal all the time , that said shooting a little closer to the target will yield greater rewards than attempting to buy something that simply cannot be purchased.

Spreader wads will take that factory full down to a more manageable open choke , but cylinder or improved cylinder is more difficult to take back to real tight patterns.

Once you remove it it's expensive to put it back.

Pull the Ole thing down clean out the burs stone and polish everything and I think you will have found True Love.

Or as I refer to as the Magic Wand , Skeetex by the way found another magic wand amount the fold that I have just acquired , now just have to get out and shoot the other 23 candidates.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Charles Hammack"]You have just now purchased possibly one of the finest shotguns of your lifetime.
Pull the Ole thing down clean out the burs stone and polish everything and I think you will have found True Love.
Or as I refer to as the Magic Wand

+1
I have a 37-39ish. I'm glad I didn't mess with the cones or choke. I likely didn't put thick enough grease, back on the firing pin springs and slides. After a good cleaning, I started piercing primers. I was given the hint to put some heavier grease on it here. I suppose I over cleaned it.
You've got the best two model 90' guys on the fourm, addressing your investment, and I don't mean me!
I can use it for doves or turkey, with the correct ammo.
Enjoy!
Razz
thunderstick
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

I will pick up the Ranger on Wed ! Barkley: I bet the pic. of the gun shows 103-11 and mistook that "11" for an " H". Charles: I should not be concerned about removing the buttstock and cleaning the insides ? I thought I read somewhere on the net that a new owner took off the buttstock and a spring broke or he found a broke spring....so, I have been wondering if I should try and clean it up. I will get back to you and ask some more specific questions regarding the polishing, etc. that you recommend once I've started to clean it up. I am hoping the gun is as good as the pics indicate. My Dad had a Ranger 20 ga. when I was a kid. that is the first shotgun I ever shot. My Dad was a snob and always belittled the gun as he really wanted a Browning Superposed - that he couldn't afford. However, he was not a shotgun guy and never shot it himself, so maybe he didn't realize what a great gun that Ranger of his really was.
thunderstick
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

I will pick up the Ranger on Wed ! Barkley: I bet the pic. of the gun shows 103-11 and mistook that 11 for an H. Charles: I should not be concerned about removing the buttstock and cleaning the insides ? I thought I read somewhere on the net that a new owner took off the buttstock and a spring broke or he found a broke spring....so, I have been wondering if I should try and clean it up. I will get back to you and ask some more specific questions regarding the polishing, etc. that you recommend once I've started to clean it up. I am hoping the gun is as good as the pics indicate. My Dad had a Ranger 20 ga. when I was a kid. that is the first shotgun I ever shot. My Dad was a snob and always belittled the gun as he really wanted a Browning Superposed - that he couldn't afford. However, he was not a shotgun guy and never shot it himself, so maybe he didn't realize what a great gun that Ranger of his really was.