16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Polychoke Patterns
bobski
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

what made poly so popular is that it gave single bbl owners the same advantage of a sbs or o&u. they could carry one more choke in the field and use it instantly.
poly was a serious contender to cutts. cutts' reputation of outfitting ww2 thompsons was losing out.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56042_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56043_600x400/] [/URL]

so much so, that when cutts realized they were being done in, they made their own.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56044_600x400/] [/URL]

too little, too late. and this add on still needed a wrench to install and constantly loosened. poly won out and numerous other companies followed their lead.
my favorite is this one...the adjusto'matic. its spring loaded so it switches to a 2nd choke of your choice when the 1st one is fired. you got the same SST feature youd find on a o&u/sbs on a single bbl gun.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56045_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56046_600x400/] [/URL]

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
bobski
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

for sale btw.... Wink

Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with the Polychoke II?
https://www.ask.com/youtube?q=polychoke&v=hkGuQyMpDG0

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the Polychoke II?
https://www.ask.com/youtube?q=polychoke&v=hkGuQyMpDG0

Cold Iron has used one on his BUL. I’m reasonably sure he likes it.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

I do, as mentioned they work. I have one on my BUL 12 ga. Sometimes. Usually when I think no one will see me with it Laughing

The extra weight on the end of such a light gun helps smooth out the swing. Also comes in handy here when hunting grouse in the bluffs and then you hear a rooster cackle in a field up on top. Just twist it tighter as you walk up to the field. Then open it up again when going back into the woods.

Polychoke went under again a year or 2 ago. But I bet there is some new old stock out there. I put a lot of rounds through mine shooting clays also.

I have a 1952 Ithaca 37 skeet 12 ga. that has a factory bbl. with a polychoke on it from the factory. Ithaca would send them to polychoke to have one installed if requested and the barrel will not have a choke marking on it if that is the case. Took me a year but finally found a Knickerbocker rib barrel to replace it. Still haven't had it fitted because the darn thing makes the gun feel so perfect. Undecided yet what I am going to do with it. I will be the first to admit they are ugly. But that they work.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I am sure some place in the good book, it is written that taking God's greatest game bird with a polychoked gun, has to be an abomination to God. Give the engineering Devil his due however, they do work well. Now taking a Grouse with a Semi-Auto that has a polychoke, that has to send a man straight to hell.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave........uh I think you are correct about the polychoke.....but the first items made in the devils workshop were S x S shotguns with double triggers, splinter forends, straight grips and all weighing in at less than 6 lbs.......and a bunch of sinners still hold them in high esteem.

The autoloaders were made by the saints to totally confuse the sinners. Which they do quite well.

Only the chosen few can operate and feed an autoloader successfully.

While the ruffed grouse is certainly wonderful table fair, he isn’t really the king of the gamebirds. Why you ask? Because the sinners were given SxS’s to take the ruffed grouse. If the sinners could handle an autoloader they would quickly find that ruffies really aren’t that fast or tough to kill.....but alas.

Last edited by Dogchaser37 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37,

Thanks for the great come back, I appreciated the chuckle, and also probably true!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

^^^^^^^I so enjoy the folks on the 16 Gauge Society^^^^^^^^

This is the best place on the Internet!!!

Have a great weekend Pine Creek/Dave

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

LOL.

So would a semi automatic in 16 ga. without a polychoke lead you to Purgatory instead of hell?

Quickly becoming my favorite grouse gun. After having Briley cut the bbl. to 23" When a certain craftsman on here gets done with it have a feeling it will become my go to gun.

But have nothing against bbls. stacked. As long as they are proper and one atop each other. And purple shells of course. Twisted Evil

But have shot many more grouse with an Ithaca 37 16 ga. then all my other guns over the years. Mainly because in the 70's and 80's there were a lot of grouse and that is what I hunted with. And last couple of years have gone back to one. Well I might own a lot more than one of them.

Pretty sure a 37 takes you straight to heaven. But I try to love all my children equally. Well try to.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

As I tell my brother who has gone over to the dark side and now shoots O/U most all the time. When you stand in front of the Supreme Architect you will find out. Now me I would let you in, not at all sure about how he looks at this sinful way of life however.

I understand the Lord is forgiving, on matters l like taking his favorite game bird creation, with heathen type instruments. Me I know I am safe with my 16, 20 and 28 double guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I have been told the Lord especially likes Kraus's Engraving, he supplied him with the talent, and put him at Hunter Arms to work on his favorite L.C. Smith double guns.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56051_800x600/] [/URL]

Builder
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Bobski I sent you a message (PM)

bobski
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

sorry couldnt help you builder. some things in life don't just drop in. it keeps the smith trade afloat. :>

DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

Speaking of Poly-Chokes, there are a slew of them on Ebay right now, and most of them are 16 gauge. I wonder if the factory is dumping them.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
Speaking of Poly-Chokes, there are a slew of them on Ebay right now, and most of them are 16 gauge. I wonder if the factory is dumping them.

Like I said early they went under again. This time in 2017. Not sure how the guy on ebay ended up with so many of them but he admits he doesn't know much about them.

Those are the old ones and they need to be silver soldered on to the barrel. It is tricky to do and doubt many gunsmiths today can do them that is why Ithaca and Winchester sent them to Poly Choke to have them done. Many of the Herter's "dial a duck" are testimonial to that.

As Colonel Cutts found out when he started with the Cutts Compensators they will usually shoot low if you don't know what your doing, took him awhile to figure that one out.

I have a prewar Ithaca 37 in 16 ga. that once wore a Poly Choke and a gentleman in Michigan cut it off. Left a tiny bit of choke on it and the bbl. is just a bit over 25" long now. Which is a perfect early season grouse gun.

That is the bottom gun. The middle is my 16 ga. IC 26" go to grouse gun. The top is 26" marked Mod but measures .011 and great for late season grouse. Of course in 16ga.

Oh and thank you VERY MUCH to Ohio Wirehair for alerting me to that prewar gun. Ended up getting it for all of $250 and kills grouse better than those thousands of dollars double bbl. twisted up fancy smancy guns. Cool Still need to get a new pad on it. Already purchased a Sunburst for it but need to get it installed.