16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Trimming RGL hulls to 2.5in?
T-Bird
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

I got Byrdogs trimmer today and trimmed some new primed Fiocchi hulls I also just got , loaded them and shot them and everything was very good. I used 1oz #6 shot SG16s and 18.3 gr PB, vel was hovering around 1200fps for 5 loads. Right where I wanted to be. Then, I got to thinking, I've never seen anyone reccommend trimmed RGL loads. I have a bunch of hulls, why can't I trim them to 2.5in and with some wad ( that I don't whether it exists of not) load some 7/8 oz dove loads?
kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

you can, I trim rem hulls when the crimps crack, use claybuster 7/8 oz wads, I get one reload out of them, then toss. works great in my older Browning A5

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:03 am  Reply with quote

kennedy756 wrote:
you can, I trim rem hulls when the crimps crack, use claybuster 7/8 oz wads, I get one reload out of them, then toss. works great in my older Browning A5

I do the same thing , cut them to 2 9/16
T-Bird
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:29 am  Reply with quote

Ok then! Use same data as with an untrimmed hull for powder etc? I haven't seen data for trimmed Rem hulls.
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 am  Reply with quote

the black rgls are already short and work fine in my win m-12 and browning from Belg.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
T-Bird
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

yeah, Brydog, but they are a little longer than my 2.5 in hulls and they're not all the same length. I'm trying not to have to readjust my Mec Jr. Thats the whole purpose of all this trimming. I want to shoot all 2.5 in shells so I don't have to readjust my loader. If there is a load that I need that I can't fit into a 2.5 in hull, then I'll buy it.Don't mind that since it will be such a small part of my overall shooting. Your cutter works great by the way!
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:05 am  Reply with quote

It works as well as trimming and reloading other shorty's. In my experience with their thicker walls the first crimp is sometimes a bit difficult. My "fix" is using a washer under the precrimp for the first crimp to set it a little deeper than usual and if really stubborn a couple few seconds in front of a hair dryer to soften the plastic helps allow that first crimp to set then smooth sailing afterwards. If you don't want to stock wads specific for those shells a quick nip with some scissors shortens the wad petals to fit. If the recipe is reluctant to fit adjust your wad seating pressure to "break the legs" of the wads' crush section a bit to get the #5lbs of poop in that #2lb bucket.

I do some or all of the above to make 2.5" 16ga & 2.75" 10ga target loads and they come out great.

UNSOLICITED ENDORSEMENT; if even thinking about making shorty's, purchase Byrdog's trimming tool. It works incredibly well 20-10ga.

Best of luck with it,

Last edited by putz463 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:11 am  Reply with quote

After I cut a hull I skiv it using a 15 deg. router bit in a cordless drill, this preps the thick edge of the new case mouth to easily be creased by the crimp starter.

https://www.amazon.com/Yonico-13912q-Degree-Forming-Router/dp/B075GZ7G3J/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_469_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S6CJDEE2B3G1R6M134EF

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Yonico-13912q-Degree-Forming-Router/dp/B075GZ7G3J/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_469_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S6CJDEE2B3G1R6M134EF

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Putz, I already have Byrdog's trimmer. I still want to know If I can use 2.75 in hull recipes in 2.5 in hulls if they will fit, safely?
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:41 am  Reply with quote

T-Bird, I'm just starting to delve into 2 1/2" reloading myself, so take my advice for what it's worth. So far I've just been working with short Cheditte hulls, but I have lots of crispy and cracked RGL hulls that could be trimmed and shot (I think).

I may be all wet on this, but if I couldn't find what I wanted for a 2 1/2" recipe on the 16 ga. yahoo spread sheet I'd look for a moderate 1 oz. 2 3/4" RGL recipe and reduce the shot to 7/8 oz for your 2 1/2" hulls. If the stack height worked out I'd test the speed on a chronograph, and/or send a few to Tom Armbrust for velocity and pressure testing.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:01 am  Reply with quote

that makes sense to me Dave. I would load the RGLs with 7/8 anyway. I used to shoot a 12 ga at clays and doves with 7/8 oz loads and have begun using them in 16 ga now that I've stored up some empties from purchased 1oz loads. I really think they are quite adequate for these applications.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 am  Reply with quote

First of all, the RGL hull is only about 2 5/8 inch long (67mm -- 2.638 inch). Even if that hull is longer (Remington's vary), you don't have to trim off much to make them 2 9/16 inch. Unless you have a gun of early English manufacture, it will have 2 9/16 inch chambers, NOT 2 1/2 inch. You can fire RGL's in their original length all day long in 2 9/16 inch chambers and not hurt the gun or the hull. If you insist on trimming, just take off the amount to get them to 2 9/16, and then load them the same as "full length", but simply put a .020" or .030" over-shot card on top (or a Polywad Spred-R device) and crimp it the same as a full length hull. There is no need to screw around with a load that fits in the full-length hull. The hull is loaded and crimped to it's original length taking advantage of the same crimp memory. That will produce the Hartin Crimp, and it will look like this (and no, it will not easily come apart in your pocket, the thick-walled RGLs are especially rugged):
[img][URL=https://s955.photobucket.com/user/HotTubGuy/media/Hartin%20Crimp/Hartin%20Crimp%204_zpsdcs116rc.jpeg.html] [/URL][/img]