16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mec 600 Improvement?
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 am  Reply with quote

search for it on Shotgunworld.com, there are a couple threads with several users/purchasers making comments. They all seem to like it just fine. Most comments from non-purchasers were like these ones, questioning if it's a waste and not needed. I don't have one myself (haven't seen need), but I do like that CRS is making them for those who want it.

For sure it looks like a decently crafted piece of metal, and it's only the cost of two beers at my last stay near LAX, so what the heck.

90% of all the MUCH more expensive chokes people buy do about squat all that the factory chokes didn't do, or of course the users have zero idea because they never pattern their loads in both... and purchasers seldom receive the negativity often shown to this CRS knockout device. Seems like a lot of folks are against attempting to improve the MEC machines, which is odd because there are probably 10 to 15 well-documented outstanding tweaks that improve their ops. Double nuts here and there, spacer washers, pencil erasers in a few holes, powder baffles, shaving the outgoing collet lip to avoid hull tip to sta 2, surgical tubing on crimp punch bolt for easy adjustment, etc. (tweaks thread at SGW also).

I could see using the primer conditioner for various hunting loads where I need to use cheddite hulls (Herters usually) and a ch209 or W209 primer which are just too loose and can be pressed in with a finger... I dislike smacking the hulls with a 3/8 socket extension in the garage though that works fine. This might be useful for that. Also when loading steel shot, most folks just resize/deprime/prime on the MEC then hand load powder/wad/filler/shot in a block, then crimp on machine again. Pressing those steel wads into the hulls with even slightly closed mouths can be tricky, a more open mouth would help. And in that case, most folks don't reload their cheddite waterfowl hulls so case longevity isn't critical.
jbusch720
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga,

It works great for resizing primer pockets. You only need to resize them after the first loading. After that you can unscrew the resize punch and screw in the regular punch. Takes about 20 seconds.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks !