16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Savage 755/775
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:02 am  Reply with quote

Fellas,
I've posted this before, but I'm doing it again.

I've got a late 50's 775a and an earlier 755 (and a Savage Automatic, but that's another post) and I've got to say, that both of these guns, though quite humble in appearance, are very well made guns. They are machined steel (755) or aluminum (775) and they are in reality a slightly improved Auto-5. I say this because Savage redesigned the trigger so that it does not contain a long tang with a reciever bolt holding the stock. If you ever had an older Remington 11 or Savage Automatic/720 you are aware of the ability of the stock to loosen or crack in the grip area...Savage solved this by producing a thru bolt stock like any Remington 870 or Ithaca 37, and a trigger gaurd with a very short tang. Its brilliant and could have easily been done by Browning....you wonder why he never employed that design...seems odd.
Now the 755/775 is built on a 12ga reciever, that is true. But, here again it makes for an interesting setup. The 755 is heavy. Period. But, if you are pounding slugs at deer (like a 1oz Brenneke) you'll find two things. 1)accuracy is fantastic with MOD choke (with a shotgun bead for a site!) And 2) recoil is absolutely timid. The heavy 755 is a deer machine. I've done it...and its smiles for everybody including the buck, because he never knew what hit him. Now, the 775 is aluminum and still a 12ga reciever, however balance is superb and weight is just under what a Browning StandardWeight 16 with corresponding barrel would weigh. It also points, shoots and cycles like a dream. Forends on both guns are 12ga size to match the reciever, but a major benefit here is absolutely no cracks. I've yet to find a 16ga 755/775 with a cracked stock or forend. The forend isnt particularly heavy by itself compared to the Browning nor is the stock, some even weigh less than Browning stocks due to the difference in density of the grain and species used between the different companies.

The 775 is a great bird gun and a real peach on pheasant especially with the ever common 28" MOD barrels (26" CYL barrels are rare, I have one, factory original, only one I've seen)

The 755 is a deer pounder if there ever was one. 450 Bushmaster is legal down state in MI now, but I'll stick to my 755 with a Brenneke slug. It's a pole-ax-r.

If you see a 775, just buy it. They are not expensive and they are overlooked. The internals are milled at least as good as any Remingon Model 11, and I'll swear to that one. The checkering us typical mid production Savage, it matches model 99 rifles of the same era, before the God awful pressed checkering.16GA SAVAGE BARRELS DO NOT INTERCHANGE WITH 16GA REMINGTON M11.
Dont even bother trying they are vastly different in dimension.

The Savage Automatic / 720 is a review for another Friday night.

I gotta go to bed...I've got to get that 775 in the woods tomorrow!

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:58 am  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Shotguns/search?Keywords=savage%20775%2016*&Sort=13&PageSize=24

oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/oneeyednine1029/media/IMAG0267_zpsdd069018.jpg.html] [/URL]

here's my '58 775A 16 gauge... with the c lect choke ready for duty.....never let me down yet...

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
Mossberg model 190 bolt action
JC Higgins bolt action
oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/oneeyednine1029/media/IMAG0267_zpsdd069018.jpg.html] [/URL]

here's my '58 775A 16 gauge... with the c lect choke ready for duty.....never let me down yet...

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
JC Higgins bolt action
oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
JC Higgins bolt action
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Posted before as well; my dad's 775a with his vest and a box of his shells. It rarely gets out of the cabinet anymore but there's not enough money out there to buy it! However I do plan to give it to my nephew at some point; his brother has its twin that belonged to his dad (my oldest brother)…

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Nice, F2F!

My dad always used those old Remington Express loads. He also always wore an old tan Jones hat that matched the old tan hunting jacket.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

F2F, 1E9,

Yep...those 775 pics do make for a nice Sunday afternoon.

Nicely done! (And I remember them from last time!)

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I had a very high condition al steel version,but only for a couple months. Like Danny says very high quality but it was obvious I wouldn't care to carry it all day pheasant hunting.
I also have a collector grade box of those Red/Green Remingtons,1 1/4 oz of 4's. Maybe they were popular for duck loads?

drcook
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 am  Reply with quote

Mine is at the top, along with my other 16's, including 2 in the process of being restored. After you carry around a 12 to 15 lb BPCR rifle, the Savage is light in comparison.

I actually have a bit more 16's, it is a sickness you know.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
I had a very high condition al steel version,but only for a couple months. Like Danny says very high quality but it was obvious I wouldn't care to carry it all day pheasant hunting.

Mine weighs right a 7lbs. with the alloy receiver; not bad for an autoloader.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Savage 16: ive always thought that my 755 steel reciever gun would be great for Sporting Clay's and Trap.

The aluminum 775 has zero felt recoil and almost no physical recoil. Its allowed me to double once on ducks and once on woodcock, with almost no extra movement beyond my trigger finger.

DrCook:
Yep...them Ithacas are obviously out weighing your Savage addiction. Send the Ithacas to me and I'll hold them while you build up your Savage collection.

Anybody have a 775 in 12 GAUGE? I've only physically seen 1 and it was 20 ears ago, in mint shape for 200.00....should have just bought it. I wonder how light they are, because there is less material in them vs the 16ga...smaller barrel ring etc.

zak
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have my dad's 12 gauge 775 and would sell it if you are in the market. It has a 28" plain modified barrel.
zak
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have my dad's 12 gauge 775 and would sell it if you are in the market. It has a 28" plain modified barrel.
zak
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:22 pm  Reply with quote