16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  RST spreader loads
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 am  Reply with quote

I have a old Sauer model #5 hammer 16,krump barrels 271/2,the barrels from what I could find out are both light full.Anyway I was wondering if the spreader loads would be good for doves,Thanks.
16'er
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 am  Reply with quote

I'd lean toward staying with a non-spreader load in this situation.

Most of my dove shots are in the 35-45yd range here, and IM chokes sound fine for that to me. I'd probably put 7/8oz #7.5 in one chamber and 1oz #7.5's in the other if it were me, but I tend to overthink these things... Laughing

Most important is to pattern the gun with what ammo you have on hand and get an idea of what you actually throwing now, then decide if a brushwad, stacked card load, or spread-r is needed.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 am  Reply with quote

A Corso,

Yes and you will probably need 2 1/2 shells for the old J.P. Sauer Hammer Gun.

I would also recommend patterning your old Double gun with the SpredR loads to see what kind of patterns you are getting. I would pattern at 40 yards with a flying dove size silhouette target, to see the BB count on the actual size bird.

I use the Poly 2 1/2" SpredR shells in my J. P Sauer 16 gauge Hammerless double guns and my Pre 1913 L.C. Smith guns also. RST are similar shells. I hunt everything from Grouse to Doves with these shells in different sizes. I use 8's, 7 1/2 & 6's. I have not tried any 9's however.

Getting ready to pattern my newly acquired Antique 16 Gauge Crescent Hammer gun with SpredR's shells also.

Good luck with your Dove hunting!

Nice old J.P Sauer #5 Hammer Gun, especially if the gun is in good shape. How about some pictures of that great old Hammer Gun! These old J.P.Sauer double guns work real well with 2 1/2 SpredR loads.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

I am really dumb about posting pictures and it is a beauty with very little case hardening left on receiver English style butt stock overall about 80 to 85% finish on barrels and the bores have some shallow pitting and chambers were opened at one time for 2 3/4.I built a pattern board and order the shells today and will take your advice about 40 yards,we have 90 acres here so I do all my shooting here.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

A Corso,

If you can get the Patterning targets up above you some how, using realistic silhouette size targets, it works out decently realistic as to shot count on the targets, with the different choked barrels.

Your Sauer Hammer Gun sounds really nice!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I use jpg box.com for posting pictures here on the 16 Forum, it works well.

Me & the dogs after a Grouse hunt in Potter County, Pa
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56372_800x600/] [/URL]

Me and Mac at an RGS get together long ago.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56373_600x400/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm; edited 4 times in total

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

These should be just dandy

http://www.rstshells.com/store/p/119-16-Ga-2-1/2-Spreader-Lite-Vel-1150-7/8-oz-Load-Box.aspx

Mike

ADDED for convenience

https://polywad.com/shop?olsPage=products

Last edited by skeettx on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx,

The reason I use the Poly SpredR's is when I order them on line from Line County Supply I get free shipping, when I order a case or more of shells. Unfortunately RST has no such deal available. I do like both companies SpredR shells, both shoot equally well out of my J.P. Sauer and Smith double guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,
Not much difference out of my good Smith guns, however out of the Best J.P. Sauer 20 Framed 16, the RST is definitely softer with less recoil. For gunning birds it really does not matter however. Both are darn nice shells that put the birds down quite well.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

I got to pattern the sauer today.RST 71/2 spreader shot left and high at 30 yards nice pattern.The next was 40 yards RST 7/8 5 shot way high and way left.Then 1 ounce of 5's shot a little to the left but was even up and down.I can live with the spreader and 1 ounce loads but is there something I can do to get it to shoot a little more to the right......Thanks Aurelio
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

So all loads, spreader and standard, print to the left? If so then I would do something about that. I would first shoot from a bench rest to be sure before I altered the gun, but after that the choke can be very carefully reground so the gun shoots straight. My O/U 10 ga. had a similar ailment and it was pretty bad. I reground the offending barrel and have loved it ever since. The procedure requires careful and skilled attention to detail, repeated testing, and a little patience.

Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

Aurelio Corso wrote:
I got to pattern the sauer today.RST 71/2 spreader shot left and high at 30 yards nice pattern.The next was 40 yards RST 7/8 5 shot way high and way left.Then 1 ounce of 5's shot a little to the left but was even up and down.I can live with the spreader and 1 ounce loads but is there something I can do to get it to shoot a little more to the right......Thanks Aurelio

Were you pointing or aiming at the bullseye? If you were pointing then go back out and aim, preferably with a bench rest. If you were aiming, and holding steady, then see WyoChukar comments above.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:00 am  Reply with quote

I was shooting off hand focusing on a a target that was a little bigger than a dove and the bead was a couple of inches below so on the last two 5 shot 1 ounce loads I shot I got down as low as I could on the stock and the pattern was even up and down and to the left about 3 inches at 40 yards and was able to put 7 pellets in the target.I will try it from a bench to see if it still shoots a little left and If I can't live with it maybe you guys can send me to a good choke guy.The spreader loads and the non spreader 1 ounce # 5's both patterned very well......Thanks Aurelio
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:31 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about 3 inches at 40 yards. I don't know anybody who can control a swing on a moving target so precisely that they could ever tell. In other words, if you miss at 40 yards with that, well it was just a miss.

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I wouldn't worry about 3 inches at 40 yards. I don't know anybody who can control a swing on a moving target so precisely that they could ever tell. In other words, if you miss at 40 yards with that, well it was just a miss.

That’s also my thought. Just make sure you practice your mount so you can comfortably bring the gun up to the position you had for those last two shots. Otherwise, you will have a fit issue.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 am  Reply with quote

I took your advice and shot from a bench this morning and it was dead on so it was just me not holding it tight enough against my cheek shot offhand again and I was fine so I will retire my 12's and with the spreaders I will use this for doves.I got some 5 shot spreaders coming for when I grouse or pheasant hunt.Thanks again Aurelio