16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  help identifying belgian 16 hammer double
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Looking for info on this gun. On rib in gold it says Manufacture Legoise D'armes Afeu Leige Acier Cockerill. On the barrels next to receiver, in gold one barrel says Powdre and the other says Blanche. Tag says barrels 27inch. Stock has been cut to just under 14 and has a piece of the toe that has been glued on. all of the finish is gone on the metals,looks like receiver might have been casehardened.Has a square-ish crossbolt. Not sure what the technical term is but on the right side the nut like piece around firing pin is broken. Barrels ring true. Serial number is 151694. Cant see any marking for chamber length such as 65mm or any for date of manufacture. Hammers cock and triggers release well. Opening lever about center. Took cell phone pics that I could text anyone if that would help. Any help or info appreciated.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20ma/a%20man%20liegeoise%20d%20armes%20a%20feu%20gb.htm

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=91804&page=all

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6364

Acier Cockerill is a kind of steel
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=448472

I have an a fue Over Under.

Mike

Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:09 am  Reply with quote

They still have it for sale if anyones interested.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796023770

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:08 am  Reply with quote

It's a nice gun, but not at $600. Simpson's has dozens of similar guns for a fraction of that price. When I bought my 16 ga hammergun from them about 4 yr ago, I paid $125 for the gun, another $50 for shipping and FFL and $100 for my gunsmith to totally take it down, check it out and raise a dent in one barrel.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Agree with Dave, that gun is overpriced. That's a $300 gun. That said, those are great starter hammer guns to get your feet wet to see if hammer guns are your thing, and you don't have to wonder if it's ok to modify them, convert to straight grip, etc.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:12 am  Reply with quote

I wouldn't know where to look for the nut that goes around the right firing pin and maybe the pin itself. I rarely shoot the hammer gun I have so decided not to pursue it. They say its a consignment and would pass along offers.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
I wouldn't know where to look for the nut that goes around the right firing pin and maybe the pin itself. I rarely shoot the hammer gun I have so decided not to pursue it. They say its a consignment and would pass along offers.

The firing pin is not a big deal to make - you could probably get by with a double-headed nail (the kind carpenters drive but have the second head protruding so they can be easily pulled) and a lathe to turn to size, shape and length. If the other barrel works, copy the firing pin from the other barrel.

Similarly, the spring (to retract the firing pin) you can get by with a decent spring from a ballpoint pen, if you shorten it.

The nut is a totally different matter. Mine is a 6.5 mm hex hut, sort of a cap nut with the head bored out, but a bit more complicated than that. The big problem is trying to find a 6.5 mm socket. There are 6mm, 7 mm, 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) but no one, not even Grainger, has a 6.5 mm. Tolerances are tight in there and a bigger nut might not be fit-able. And the threads are likely to not be a standard thread/pitch, at least not a US standard. That missing nut will likely cause you no end of grief and take no end of time. You'd probably need to have one made from scratch, and that might cost a significant portion of the purchase price. (A few years back I needed to have a toplever return spring made for my French 16 to replace the one that had broken. Even with a suitably-close replacement leaf spring available, it still took 5 hours gunsmith time with a file to get it right.)