16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  RST ammo?
Chukar60
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 am  Reply with quote

I am pretty new to this bunch so if my post here is old hat for the regulars please humor me.

I have recently returned to a 16 with 40+ years separating the 16 I learned to hunt with and my latest purchase.
I recently bought a Sauer and Sohn/Geco 16 that was made in 1929.
When I bought it I knew I had a built in supply of ammo sitting at the ranch. These are all shells left by guests who did not want to fly them home.
I finally got a chance to shoot the gun while at the ranch this weekend. Took it out to shoot some of the ECD’s (Euarasian Collared Dove) that seem everywhere out there.
First walk I took some RIO 2 3/4” 1 1/8 oz #7.5 high brass loads. Recoil was not too bad, but not what I would want for a day of shooting doves.
Came back to the house and found 7 boxes of RST 2.5” 7/8 oz, #6 shells. Man what a difference!! Seems the shells were made for this gun. Doves dropped clean and the gun was an absolute pleasure to shoot.
I am considering a case of 2.5” #7 for quail this season.
Was wondering what everybody thought about the RST shells. They are a little spendy, but I can get #7 shot and appreciate the lower recoil.
Also wanted to thank those here who told me to buy the Geco and those who advised me on getting accustomed to the double triggers. After a short time on the gun I believe I will come to favor the double triggers over a single. Barrel selection is much easier than the SST on my 20 ga Superposed.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:10 am  Reply with quote

Doubtful you'll find anyone speaking ill of RST. You can't go wrong shooting it. Quality ammo and manufactured in my home state.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:25 am  Reply with quote

+1 on RST. I reload but use them in my OLD English doubles for hunting.

Matt
Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:39 am  Reply with quote

+2 on the RST ammo.

I've run the 2.5" 7.5 spread'r lites through a full and tight mod sxs with 29" tubes for everything from woodcock, ruffed grouse, sharptails, huns, doves, quail, and yes, even wild pheasants. I'm not going to get into the details like some on this forum could and explain the 'why', but I can attest to the killing qualities of this particular load / gun combo. Fewer crippled birds with less oomph.

Ted

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:27 am  Reply with quote

I have a old sauer both barrels are lite full and the RST spreader on paper at 25 yards looks like a mod. Can't wait for dove season.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I doubt you will need 7's to kill quail, but that is one heck of a shot size for chukars and huns. Anytime you are hunting an area where all three exist, it's hard to go wrong with size 7. With RST's reasonable loadings, the 7's will be great. I reload 7's by the case and my loads are pretty similar to what RST offers. A 1200 fps round is very nice to shoot and does the job with authority.

Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

I have been using RST shells pretty much since the company was founded and they make great ammo. For grouse and woodcock I use their 7.5 loads, but #7 are probably fine. For pheasant I use the #6 and if I need Bismuth for pheasant I drop down to #5’s. One of my 16’s is more tightly choked in the left barrel (.021) and for grouse/woodcock I use their spreaders for that barrel with great success.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I use both he RST and the Poly SpredR's in my J.P. Sauer bird guns, both are great shells they make the old classic American and German guns preform in a fantastic manner. Simply great for bird hunting!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chukar60
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I doubt you will need 7's to kill quail, but that is one heck of a shot size for chukars and huns. Anytime you are hunting an area where all three exist, it's hard to go wrong with size 7. With RST's reasonable loadings, the 7's will be great.

I have been shooting them with 7.5’s for years. Where I do my bird chasing you never know when a rooster will be under your dog’s nose instead of quail. For that reason I have been looking for factory loaded 7’s for about 4 years now.
I won’t put different sized shot in my left barrel or my top barrel and sure do not want two different loads in my vest. Just another distraction caused by over thinking a simple pleasure.
Since my bird hunting is more of a dog training function, I do not shoot roosters unless they are pointed. Keeps shots within easy range and there is no need for the anything larger than 7’s.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

I shot a few roosters in Nebraska with 7's. I carried them for exactly the same reason. Both quail and pheasants were often in the same patch of cover. They weren't ideal for either bird, but under 30 yards there are enough pellets for quail and enough punch for a rooster so they worked just fine on close birds. The quail were always close. Pheasants, not often.

I did carry three different loads though. 5's in my left pants pocket, 8 1/2's in my right pants pocket, and 7's in the bird bag pockets. It was a simple matter to choose when going for a follow up on quail or when the dog was obviously after a rooster, especially when tracks are visible in a snow patch.

Rick O
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

...RST 2 1/2" x 3/4oz 7.5 through a MOD choke was probably my Favorite dove load ,accounting for hundreds of them over the years...and more than a few wild roosters.
Highly Recommend
gunsrus
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

RST's are all I have shot the last 5 years . My Fox 16 loves them and so does my shoulder .
Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Chukar60 wrote:
WyoChukar wrote:
I doubt you will need 7's to kill quail, but that is one heck of a shot size for chukars and huns. Anytime you are hunting an area where all three exist, it's hard to go wrong with size 7. With RST's reasonable loadings, the 7's will be great.

I have been shooting them with 7.5’s for years. Where I do my bird chasing you never know when a rooster will be under your dog’s nose instead of quail. For that reason I have been looking for factory loaded 7’s for about 4 years now.
I won’t put different sized shot in my left barrel or my top barrel and sure do not want two different loads in my vest. Just another distraction caused by over thinking a simple pleasure.
Since my bird hunting is more of a dog training function, I do not shoot roosters unless they are pointed. Keeps shots within easy range and there is no need for the anything larger than 7’s.

Good point, I should qualify my earlier comment on the use of RST Spread'r lite 2.5" 7.5 with 3/4 oz for pheasants by sharing that those are all pointed birds as well, using discretion on quality shot opportunities. Probably not a great idea to throw shots at 'driven' or otherwise challenging shots on Phez that can glide for hundreds of yards with set wings after being hit in the body.

On the range topic, I took a shot past fall over 40 yards (with a witness) on a ruffed grouse, only because my friend had wounded it at close range first, but it kept going. As it crossed a clearing out in front of me I swung through and took a long poke, longer than I would have thought of shooting normally, and downed the bird.

RST has my allegiance for those reasons.

Ted

rudyc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Ted,

Sounds like the Bayard is working out well for you?

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 am  Reply with quote

I will put it this way. If I didn't typically reload my own hunting ammunition, I would seldom buy anything other than RST. They grasp the concept that loading everything as hot as possible is not the end all answer to shotgunning.