16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning Pigeon 16 ga value
robindb1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the society, but hoping that you all might be able to assist me. I've been looking for the right 16 ga for a long time and although I've come close nothing that works yet.

I've been offered a Browning Citori Pigeon Grade 3 or 4 is silver w/grouse on both sides. Round end with straight stock. The gun has some scratches and a few dents, but otherwise seems in good shape. I was told it was 90's vintage. All the choke tubes are with it.

What would be a fair price for this weapon and what did they run new?

Thanks for your time in advance.

budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

What do you mean by dents? Wood or barrel" Dents in the barrel are not acceptable, period, the material has been deformed. Get an expert evaluation with the gun in hand. Do not let the new gun fever cloud your judgement. Until I verify what someone is offering, I always assume it is junk.-Dick
robindb1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

The dents are just small impressions in the foreend and stock. Nothing major, but slight occlusions none the less.

I just want to make sure I'm not paying more for the gun than it's really worth.

Thanks

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:54 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to know what you mean by round end with straight stock? Does the stock have a semi-pistol bird's head (Prince of Wales )grip or a straight wrist grip? What shape is the forend wood? does it have a Schnabel or a round forend? Further, the 16 ga. Citori was never offered in a pigeon grade. If its a Grade III, it has some chased engraving of game birds on a grayed receiver, if its a Grade VI, it has the engraving plus gold plated birds in either grayed or blued finish. The gun will have a serial number with two letters in the middle of the sequence, followed by a dash and a three number suffix. If you tell us both the letters in order, plus the suffix, we can tell you what model and year gun you are considering.
robindb1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

The gun I'm being offered does have a rounded forend (sorry for leaving the specifics out), not a schnabel (which I really prefer). The grip is not a straight English, but it has the rounded ball instead of the traditional flat bottom grip. The 'neck' if you will is thinner like a straight/English stock. The guy told me it was a grade 3, the engraving is of grouse in silver, no gold.
The serial info is 23272-PN823! I hope that helps and I thank you for assisting me in this matter. This is a very nice gun, but I want to make sure it's truly worth what this guy is asking before I make the purchase or make him an offer.

I look forward to your additional information soon.

Thank you for your time.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:08 am  Reply with quote

This one is a Grade III, Lightning made in 1989. The condition determines the value. A 100% as new in box gun with all the original papers and accessories can bring up to $2.5K depending on how hot the market is. A 16 gauge Grade III Citori in this condition is now a collecter's piece, because Grade III guns have been discontinued. They are climbing in value fairly quickly now. However, most collector's of modern guns want as close to 100% in the box as possible. An as new without the box gun might bring 2 to 2.2K.

Any serious dings, scratches, bluing wear, or alterations like a shortened stock or an added recoil pad puts the gun into the shooter class and can lower the price to as much as half that depending on the relative condition. A used, but relatively clean one without the box and with just a few minor wood dings might be worth $1800 or more. One with obvious dings in the wood but good metal might bring $1600 or more. Wood is relatively easy and not too expensive to have refinished. Scarred up or worn metal finish will detract more than wood dings and scratches.

Another way to judge the value of a modern used gun is judge how much use the gun has had, askaround how much it would cost to put it back into 100% condition, and then deduct 120% of the repair and refinishing costs from the gun's value at 100%. This is fairly easy to do with the Browning Citori. The Arnold, MO facility will tell you how much it costs. They can restore just about any modern Browning gun back to new or pretty darned close.

At any rate, there were not too many Grade III 16 ga. Citori models made, especially the pre-1995 guns like this one. If you have an opportunity to buy one, and the price is about what the gun is worth, you will probably be buying a gun that will accrue value over the years. Hunt with it, shoot it, enjoy it, and take good care of it. You probably will not lose. Browning backs these guns up with excellent service and the Citori is a rugged gun to begin with.
robindb1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you for the information about this gun. I'm so glad I was able to get as much detail as you could provide.

I wanted to try and make sure the information I was being given from this guy was true or not and to what degree before I spent the money he was asking for this gun ($1,725). This is really a nice weapon overall and I wasn't aware of how easy it might be to fix the blemishes and who would do it.

This has been a great forum and I'm glad I found it. I look forward to learning more about the 16ga and what others have to say.

I look forward to many great years in the field and on the range with this weapon.

Happy Hunting and thanks again for all the valuable information.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Robin, check your pm. I answered your question youy sent me. its been sitting waiting for you.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 16 ga grade III made in 1989, 26 inch

I gave $1400 for it about 3 years ago....

Dr. 16 Gauge
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Are you bragging or complaining? Very Happy
mkrporte
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:47 am  Reply with quote

I just purchased a NIB Browning Citori 525 Sporting with 30" ported barrels. Paid $2700.00. I picked this gun up from Desert Sportsman in Paradise Valley, Arizona. Not sure, but they may have more of them. I checked with Browning and they made 70 of these guns in 2006. They were special ordered by Bill Hicks. He has ordered 150 in 2007. Not sure if you can get your hands on one...or how to go about it, but I would start by contacting Desert Sportsman and see if they have any more. The gentleman there you need to talk to is: Matt Baker, general manager. His phone number is 480-368-9280. I love my 525, good luck to you on your quest.
Rich Wink