16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sling on a shotgun?
Chukar60
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

When I bought my Geco / Sauer 16, it came with a spiffy flat braided leather sling that was made in Germany.
It is a nice sling and from a aesthetic stand point I guess it is kind of cool.
It came off the day I brought it home.
Then today I got to thinking about it and was wondering if this may not be a great way to tote that shotgun around when chukar hunting.
Lots of walking, hiking and sliding with just enough shooting thrown in to keep you abusing yourself.
Any members use a sling on their shotgun and if so what kind of hunting are you doing that a sling on a shotgun makes sense?
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Duck hunting, keeps the shotgun out of the water/mud when working decoys, retrieving ducks, etc

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

YES. As an avid chukar hunter, I consider a sling mandatory. If you've ever had to carry a dog out of a canyon, you wouldn't even ask the question.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

I can't stand to have a sling on a shotgun when I mount and swing. However, I have been known to carry one in case I need to attach it and wear the gun across my back. This has mostly been during cast and blast adventures in the high country. It can be handy for climbing ledges or cliffs too. A sling would have been handy when Rusty got bit by a rattler and I had to carry him, but I'm not in the habit of carrying the thing regularly.

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I just put a sling on my old Sauer for hiking ski runs for blue grouse.
Chukar60
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Uncledanfan,
I have never had to carry a dog out when chasing chukar but last year I had to pack my female Britt out about a mile on a quail hunt.
She got hypothermia and just quit on me. Thankfully got her back to the truck, cranked the heater and started giving her small bites of a Kronchbar. Took about an hour and half and she snapped out of it.
I would have loved to have had that sling on that occasion. She only weighs about 32# but it became a load in short order. Shepherd carry was the only way the gun came out with me. Thank you for the reminder.
hayseed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:45 am  Reply with quote

I've got a Simson/Suhl that came with sling swivels. I thought they were an add on but after seeing pics of others, I believe it came this way. Unfortunately, its a 12 gauge and I don't use it.

They are practical for some hunting tho. Turkey, Waterfowl.
PDD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Everyone, keep your sling with you if not on your gun. It can come in handy in many ways. I used mine and a leash as a rope to allow me to get down to my dog that went over a small cliff and was stuck on a ledge. You may not hunt the places like that but it takes up a small amount of space and you might not know when you want to use it or why you might need it.
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have had several European guns with sling swivels but never used them to sling the guns.

In the last year I picked two Manufrance Ideal 16’s both with the retractable sling in the butt. Several times at the end of the day slinging the gun after sundown on the walk back to the truck I found the sling a truly great and useful feature.

duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

I take a Browning sling with snap swivels on the pump guns (waterfowl) and a slip-on leather sling for the doubles in my pocket when walking up birds...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

As old Colonel said, very handy on the walk in or out. I keep a cheap black one in one of my vest pockets for just such occasions.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

I always have a sling on all shotguns when duck hunting. Mandatory when you're wading, using sticks to balance, or doing decoys. Of course the ducks always show when you're in the decoys, so it pays to have your gun on your shoulder.

Also, you're usually carrying a pack along with the gun on your shoulders and some crap in your hands when walking in for duck hunting.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:37 am  Reply with quote

Never thought about having to carry a dog out but would be handy. I use one all the time(or a case) for duck hunting carrying in and out take it off in the bind. Always when turkey hunting but again when I set up to call I take it off.
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:55 am  Reply with quote

If you want a really cheap but functional sling, the ones for SKS/ak47 that have the leather ends fit right on my JP Sauer. Think I paid $5 at a gun show for a new one.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:15 am  Reply with quote

The slip on ones work ok, but they do pinch more than the ones that are permanently mounted further up the barrel on studs. I take the sling loops off the studs and use uncle mike quick disconnects, and just keep the sling in my vest until I need it. The Uncle Mikes make putting it on and off really fast, and that way the loops don't rattle around on the gun either, which is annoying.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."