16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  1oz 20ga #7.5. Vs 1oz 16ga #7.5
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

Mike Campbell,

I would rather hunt in 1/2 Lb lighter boots with a 1/2 Lb lighter gun if I am walking the Grouse mountain for sure.

kgb,
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:12 am  Reply with quote

I am with you on the boots, as I changed this year from my old Rocky boots to a svelte pair of Salomon’s.

I still have a tough time with taking a lighter shotgun, as I just don’t shoot them as well as the guns that are in the 7 to 8 lb. range.

Honestly I don’t feel the weight is a negative. I have been carrying this weight shotgun since 1974 and I am very used to it. I guess if I hunted with WyoChukar running through the mountains I might change my mind, but the Sandhills aren’t an issue.

The one action type I do like, is an O/U. Break it open and carry it over your shoulder is certainly a nice option. So this year’s project is to get my Citori fitted. Still not what most folks think is a light shotgun at 7 lbs.

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:17 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
In my experience, day in day out, when I compare my 20ga. and 16ga. guns of similar choking, the 16 anchors chukars more consistently than the 20 with an ounce of 7 1/2 shot once the shot distance approaches 35 yards. the difference isn't tremendous, but you do notice it if you hunt every day.

I'm kinda in this school, used 20's for years chasing birdy's and bunny's, a bud gave me an inherited 16 to try and I noticed the difference in crips/DOA. Been all in on 16's (and noticing the same performance gain in 10's) ever since.

Carry's like a 20 hit's like a 12, works for me.....or in the 10ga case; carry's like a telephone pole hits like one too... Very Happy

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:41 am  Reply with quote

^^^^^^ Laughing Laughing ^^^^^^

Thanks putz463 for putting a smile my face!!

Morning coffee and a smile.......great way to start a Sunday!!

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:40 am  Reply with quote

I'll take fresh socks after lunch over lighter boots or lighter guns.

Internet adventures are routinely scripted to worst case, sometimes very creatively...we all have experienced steep hills, tough cover and somehow I wager, we all find super-strength and resolve when a dog hits a point or a bird thunders up....then, it's on us and not on any reasonably chosen gun or gauge.

Whether we hit or miss is rarely the center of the day but neither is the center comprised of the gauge chosen.....hopefully.
Enjoy the sixteen for what it can be and not always is.....it can be but one of a certain mix of particulars yielding an esthetically pleasing and sufficent to most causes scattergun to take a fella along a very well-trodden path.

If a sixteen could talk, it might not toot a tune of "I'm perfect".....I choose to think so, anyway.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:51 am  Reply with quote

When I hunt open country and know some of the shots will be 50 yards, the 20 stays home. If I expect most of the shots to be at 50, I bump up to a 12. I hunt a lot of open country for a lot of species. The 16's have consistently out performed the 20 when the winds blow hard and the birds want to run like banshees or are loathe to allow the dog and I very close. I seem to have plenty of 20 ga. pheasant loads getting stale these days. It has been quite some time since I carried my 28 for wild ringnecks.

When circumstances produce plenty of 35 yard shots, I still like to shoot a 20 from time to time and enjoy it very much.

When I hunt blue grouse, shots are short and it matters not in the least what gauge I pick and I just grab what ever makes me smile at the moment.

Days when sharptails treat me like a baby treats a diaper, a 10 gauge is the answer. It takes a lot off searching to find one that doesn't pretend to be a telephone pole.

Fresh socks are good. In cold weather when I hunt hard, a fresh t-shirt is mighty nice too. During winter when boots eventually get soaked (usually pants and socks transferring/ dispersing moisture in from melted snow), a fresh pair of boots go mighty fine with those dry socks.

Lunch? People break for lunch? Novel concept; I may have to try that. Actually, I either carry enough food with me on long hikes or hit the lunch box like a tornado when I get back to the truck in between hunts.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Hay you are not old enough to break for lunch yet, just wait till you are over 62 years old, you will break for lunch, even if you are carrying it in your hunting vest. At 70 you will definitely break for lunch, especially hunting the mountains you do.

Me I definitely break for lunch, I need the energy for the afternoon & evening hunt.
My older dogs need it also.

I agree about the 10 gauge double gun, most are telephone poles.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with WYOChukar on this one. My 16 Husky with ic/xf chokes and 1 1/8oz 6's or 5's will consistently anchor chukars out to 50yds, no problem. Because it is light and quick, it also helps me to get on target quickly, which matters at long range. Every split second you waste is a few extra yards the birds are away from you. Out to normal ranges and conditions, however, the difference between a 16 and any other gauge is small. At the margins however, especially with larger payloads, is when it really shines. So to answer the question directly, yes, I do think a 16 is better than a 20.

Edit: More to the question of the op, I forgot to add that I used to have a Lefever 16 that I shot 1oz loads out of exclusively. I had a 2.5" 1300 fps roll crimped longshot load I used with that gun that I called the hammer of Thor. I dropped roosters with that gun out to 50 yds. Maybe it was the short shot string, I don't know, but good luck doing that with a 20 on a regular basis. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

You silly fellas 20 gauge can't kill a thing. Why would you even ask if an once of shot out of a 20 gauge would be the same. Of course it would not be. 20 gauge is useless 16 gauge is far superior. No evidence needed.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Sometimes this place brings a smile to my face.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Do people still use 20's these days? Aren't they considered obsolete?

Stirring the pot. Razz

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:30 am  Reply with quote

[quote="WyoChukar"]When I hunt open country and know some of the shots will be 50 yards, the 20 stays home. If I expect most of the shots to be at 50, I bump up to a 12. I hunt a lot of open country for a lot of species. The 16's have consistently out performed the 20 when the winds blow hard and the birds want to run like banshees or are loathe to allow the dog and I very close. I seem to have plenty of 20 ga. pheasant loads getting stale these days. It has been quite some time since I carried my 28 for wild ringnecks."

Kinda, but no...,.,..
I leave my old 16's in the rack, late season ducks. They aren't steel friendly. Then I go with a BPS 20, straight stock, with tungsten. The bottom ejection, is nice for keeping your partner happy, too!

Smile
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:07 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Back in the 50's & 60's we killed a lot of wild Pheasants in Lancaster County, Pa with 12 and 16 gauge guns, the 20 & 28 gauge guns were not used much. Even the kids and ladies used the 16 and 12 gauge Semi - Auto guns. However I do realize many of the modern shells were unavailable in that era. IMO the 20 gauge shells, even the 3" shells, still do not have the killing power of the 16, especially with the newer Fiocchi shells available for todays hunters.

The 20 gauge shells have come along way, however it's still a 20 gauge gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:24 am  Reply with quote

agree , the 16 rules over the 20 . just never took to them .... however - the #1 grouse gun EVER - the 28ga 1100 ! By a LOT . Walked your grouse woods Dave in So NY for yrs ... 1100 - #1 !!

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:42 am  Reply with quote

But, but, but the 1100 28 gauge is not built on a dedicated 28 gauge frame...Horrors!!

I love 1100's.......in any gauge.