16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Strange happening at Cabelas
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

I went over to my local Cabelas this afternoon, looking for some odds and ends. I wound up in the reloading section. There, much to my surprise, I found Cabelas is now stocking 25 lb bags of Eagle lead shot in sizes 4 through 9. $43 a bag.
This, after totally dropping led shot from their inventory around the turn of the year. And "POP", lead shot is "in stock" on their website.
Go figure. Next thing you know, they'll be selling purple Herters again. Laughing Not that I'm holding my breath on that. I didn't hold my breath on Cabelas and lead shot; bought a bunch of Eagle lead shot the other week at a place suggested to me by you guys, for $35/bag.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:18 am  Reply with quote

Their bean counters probably decided lead shot was a seasonal item through some magical inventory control algorithm. Remember, you're dealing with an organization, not a thinking person when you go to those big chains. If it made sense to me, I would start worrying about my mental stability.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Their bean counters probably decided lead shot was a seasonal item through some magical inventory control algorithm. Remember, you're dealing with an organization, not a thinking person when you go to those big chains. If it made sense to me, I would start worrying about my mental stability.

What you say would be entirely sensible but for the fact Cabelas website was not showing lead shot as "out of stock", "seasonal item", "backorder OK" or anything else. Rather, Cabelas had removed lead shot entirely from their website - it was something they didn't carry and wouldn't carry in the future. I'd never seen that on their site in the past, and in the past they'd always had a couple bags of shot on the shelves. So, it would appear just as likely that they changed their inventory, to add lead shot.

It's still overpriced, though.

duckdup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:14 am  Reply with quote

Was that chilled or magnum shot found at Cabela's?

It seems odd that Cabela's would shift away from shot-gunning supplies when the new owner recently built a fancy shooting academy south of Branson to promote the sport and train new shooters.

Maybe the bean counters from the holding company that ran things between Cabela's and BP ownerships had put those changes in play and it will take a year or two more to reverse the damage done. Many inventory plans in big-box chains are a year or more ahead of implementation.

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
longgunnm
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Had some gift certificates last August and ordered 3 bags while it was backorderable. Noticed it was removed from the website, maybe November, so I called and asked it not be cancelled. After the first of the year discovered the order was cancelled. No email notification sent.
Then they removed Herter's?
They carry a lot of stuff at premium prices but I'm not fond of their business practices.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:17 am  Reply with quote

duckdup wrote:
Was that chilled or magnum shot found at Cabela's?

It seems odd that Cabela's would shift away from shot-gunning supplies when the new owner recently built a fancy shooting academy south of Branson to promote the sport and train new shooters.

Maybe the bean counters from the holding company that ran things between Cabela's and BP ownerships had put those changes in play and it will take a year or two more to reverse the damage done. Many inventory plans in big-box chains are a year or more ahead of implementation.

It was Eagle Magnum shot.

Might be worth it to send a nice personal letter to the new owner, personally, about dropping Herters' ammo. I would not be surprised if the bean counters and the owner were not on the same sheet of music. It's just the Way of Organizations....

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:41 am  Reply with quote

Where did you buy it for $35.00 a bag ?
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I was wondering that as well. I'll get some.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:40 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Where did you buy it for $35.00 a bag ?

Shyda's.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks , not worth it for me as I would have to have it shipped and they only do ship shot in a medium flat rate box which $25+ for 2 bags . Cabelaes would be cheaper with free shipping.
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:58 am  Reply with quote

35 bucks a bag @ CAC in Ebensburg, PA also
Tukudu
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Tom Shaffer wrote:
35 bucks a bag @ CAC in Ebensburg, PA also

Went to cabellas Lone tree store and their was no shot and no Unique to be found...wanted trip. Their web site is questionable.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Wish they had Herters 16 shells still available. Really kicking myself for not getting a few flats of 8's when I had the chance.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:57 am  Reply with quote

I probably need to stock up on some shot and reloading now . One of our trap guys has taken upon himself to start his own endeavor here replacing Beikirchs . West coast shot to my door for 37 bucks - he works about 100 yds down the road from the house . But , he thinks he'll only be there for another mo. or so . He's been going all in , birds , reloading supplies etc . Appreciate his effort completely !

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 am  Reply with quote

16GaDavis,

Beikirchs? Are they still in business?

They were/are(?) great folks to do business with. Some of the clubs in CT bought from them. A lot better than Jerry's Sports Center.