16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  1966 Ithaca 37 16ga Deerslayer
drcook
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:26 am  Reply with quote

Fellow board members,

I am listing my 1966 16ga Deerslayer for sale. This is one of higher grade ones. The top of the line DS was drilled and tapped for a peep sight. This is the Deluxe version, 1 grade down from the one drilled and tapped.

The buttstock configuration, while it is press checkered, has actually been shaped like an early 50's stock even down to the black grip cap.

It is an example of the craftsmanship that was still coming from the plant back then.

I promised the family that if I ever got rid of it, I would work hard at placing it with another family that would continue the story.

I acquired it after the man's father had died and they found it stuck in the back of a closet. No one knew it was there. That is the part of backstory behind it. When I met the family to pay, you could see that parting with a piece of his dad was hard, but they needed the money.

$400.00 plus shipping. You will need to make sure your FFL will receive it from a private party. I would provide a copy of my DL for FFL holder's records.

Payment by Postal Money Order only please.

I will work at getting some pics up here, but if a cell nbr is pm'd to me, I can text some pics directly to a cell phone. I would reply to the pm with the cell nbr I would be texting from.

I am going to leave it on here for a few days, it is also listed on ShotgunWorld. After a few days/a week I am going to move it to Gunbroker, or other online site to get broader exposure.

Thanks

fourtown
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

I know you know the details of Model 37s, but some of us are a little behind. I have read about Deerslayers for years but never handled one. Could you share the barrel length, type of sights, sling, etc.

I always thought the Deerslayer model had barrels fixed to the receiver for better accuracy, is that true? or is it a rural legend?

Thanks for any info.

Marshall
drcook
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:19 am  Reply with quote

1. It was the Deerslayer II's that had the barrels affixed to the receivers. Those were rifled barrels. I have 2 of those in 12ga that came from the King Ferry plant before the bankruptcy. Phenomenally accurate. The current iteration of the Ithaca Co (located here in Ohio) has continued that line, even with a III that has a very heavy barrel.

There are a few 16ga guns like this, because there are not many, they command a premium, there were 2 NIB ones on Gunbroker a while ago and it was in the 1000's (maybe between 1 and 2) that was being asked for the pair (maybe a bit more, I don't remember).

There are also 20ga versions.

Barrel lengths vary, my 12's are 26".

2. The earliest DS's came out prior to the switch to interchangeable receivers (serial nbr 855,000 is were the switch occurred).

Regardless of the gauge, the barrels were a little undersized, so that they would shoot slugs accurately. Barrel lengths varied, but most I have seen online are 26".

Of course these barrels and receivers are serialized together.

3. The next iteration of DS's were the interchangeable barreled ones. People could buy barrels or the whole gun.

This is the version this one is. The ser nbr is after 855,000. It has a 26" barrel with rifle type sights on it. The bore is a little undersized to accurately shoot slugs. It is a smoothbore.

The receiver has not been drilled and tapped which would destroy what it is. A very fine example of a 16ga Deluxe DS. Deluxe means it has pressed checkering, but the stock is shaped like the early 50's Ithaca 37 stocks, with the pistol grip relieved into the wood, and a grip cap. Not like the clubs of the late 50's early 60's. It has a recoil pad on it and a beaver tail fore end, not the ring groove fore end.

The blue is in great shape as is the finish on the wood, except for a couple bruises accumulated over the years.

This gun will accept barrels made for the interchangeable guns. That is its advantage, beside being a really nice gun.

It has had NO modifications since it left the factory, as such, no sling swivels, etc.

Akoss1923
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the wealth of information on the topic. Very informative.

I have been teasing the idea of putting a 16 gauge deerslayer in the mix of my ever growing Ithaca collection.

Recently, I had just picked up (yet another) 37 from my local gunshop and had shared some info with him about how interesting the piece was that selling.

Ithaca company has such wonderfully confusing history for those that do not do their due diligence researching about them.

The Ithaca I just picked up was made in 1942 and was equipped with the correct hand checkered stock pattern, which has been hard for me to find. But lucky me! It was in 16 gauge (making it affordable to buy from a gunshop) and had a serials matching barrel and reciver.

I am finally getting to the point where I can say that I own almost one of every model 37, including a solid ribbed 37 in 16 with a deluxe walnut grade stock.

Lastly, my condolences to the family. I can't wait to see the Deerslayer.

Very Best,

Alex K
drcook
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

I bet you don't have a 1949 R (solid ribbed) Ithaca 37 16ga gun that also has a vent ribbed, choke tubed barrel fitted to it Very Happy that was made during the King Ferry era.

I also have (not a 16ga) 1951 Ithaca 37T (trap gun for sale) that was has had the choked changed to Modified instead of Full by the factory. All the correct stampings are on the barrel indicating a non-production modification.

I will get some pictures up this weekend.

Akoss1923
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:15 am  Reply with quote

Oh wow! I'd love to see those too!!

And you're right, I have neither. I'm sure they are fun shooters.

-Alex K
fourtown
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info about the Deerslayers. I guess I was partially correct that some Deerslayers had fixed barrels.