16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 ga target loads and hulls
wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Q1. What brands and where can I find good ammo deals for shooting skeet and SC in 16ga?

Q2. What readily available 16ga loads make good hulls to save for reloading?

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

Don't know where your located but around here the best deal are Federal 1 oz loads at Walmart for $7.94 a box. Also (in my opinion) the are one of the best to reload.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't used federal Hills in years because they are hard to find in my area without paying over $10/box. I have had decent results with Remington game loads that are available from Academy for $7.99/box and free shipping when you buy a case or more.
The Herters shell were great but Cabelas{Bass Pro} shot themselves in the foot when they discontinued them. Luckily I have a few thousand on hand and will just trim them to 21/2" when the crimps wear out.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:58 am  Reply with quote

A1. ammoseek.com

A2. any using Ched style hulls

Maybe reload off the bat...

http://www.losttarget.com/costcal.htm

1st reloaded batch = to factory then realize the cost savings.

5 cases of reloads = used Sizemaster, 3 cases = a used 600.

rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:25 am  Reply with quote

I only use Remington Game Loads. 1 ounce no. 8s which on sale I get for about $75.00 a flat, but then reload them with 1 1/8 ounce shot SP16 wads and Longshot. I do not like to make changes on my loaders to move from one hull to another.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:43 am  Reply with quote

I truly wish that someone would market a 7/8 oz #8 shot target load @ 1150 to 1200 fps for the 16 gauge.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:55 am  Reply with quote

John Singer,

That pretty much isn't going to happen.

All 16 gauge factory ammo is based on hunting loads, there just aren't enough folks that use their 16's to shoot targets on a regular basis.

RST might have something that you could use.

rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:21 am  Reply with quote

One box at time around here, when you can find them, are about $11.95, so I just wait for the sales. I have about 2,000 Remington Game and Field hulls now sitting ready to load.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Mr. Wahoo,

Reloading is your answer, if you shoot any volume of shells at all at SC or skeet, hunting, etc. One of the fellows here has a list of recipes to share with loads from probably 5/8 oz to 1 3/8 oz. Just ask. There is a good site on-line. Plenty has been done and tested in that area. The need to reload for your individual situation is both the plight and the opportunity for enjoyment of the 16 gauge.

Hulls? -- In 16 gauge, the hulls available today are, arguably, all about the same as far as reloadability. They can be quite different in capacity and in wad and primer size requirements, but all the components compatible with them are readily available from places like Precision Reloading ( https://www.precisionreloading.com/ ), Ballistic Products ( https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ ), Grafs ( https://www.grafs.com/ ), Gamaliel ( https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/bapid=638/ClientPage/gamaliel ), etc.

Reloaders? -- Get a MEC 600 (best for the money, best factory support, best crimp system, and popular on the used market as more have been sold than any other reloader) or MEC Sizemaster, or a Ponsness Warren 375, or whatever your budget can handle, and go to work. Do not go cheap with a Lyman EasyLoader or a Lee LoadAll. While workable, you will in all likelihood, eventually, (and sooner than later) be dissatisfied with the results. Reloading can be very rewarding, and I see from your gun list you are already strongly committed to the gauge, so a good reloader seems within your financial wheelhouse.

Good Luck,
Tony
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:22 am  Reply with quote

I have sever cases of herters wich i believe is a top notch target load. 1oz 8's or 1-1/8 71/2. But, but, but. I do so much Trap shooting playing games I have not shot a factor shell for a long time. With the componets and loads of information out their I dont worry about factory loads. 16' are becoming mor popular as time continues. Especialy when they find out they are gettig beat buy a 16 ga. You would be suprised how many people come over to my truck and say ,I heard you shoot a 16. I tell them i haven't shot a 12 for years now. Have no use for one.
I get alot of funny looks.
df
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with maxsmoke, above.
Don’t go super cheap on reloaders.
I have a 16 ga sizemaster, also 12,20,and 28 ga.
They work real well.
After you have some experience with them, you can load four boxes an hour.
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:41 am  Reply with quote

I have been angling towards adding a shotshell loader to my reloading bench, but was putting it off until I can check off a few other priorities. Have been browsing the auction sites monitoring good used loaders. You folks are indeed nudging me closer.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
I truly wish that someone would market a 7/8 oz #8 shot target load @ 1150 to 1200 fps for the 16 gauge.

Hey I live in the same location as you! I make a lot of 7/8 oz. #8 at 1180 fps in my reloading room on my MEC 9000 Smile Unfortunately they are not for the market. I purchase Cheddite hulls preprimed when they go on sale at one of the previously mentioned places. Have also picked up a couple thousand once fired over the last few years. I use 7/8 in most of my guns.

The new Sweet 16 needs a full 1 oz. to cycle reliably and have somewhere around 8 flats of Herters left and of course save the hulls. The Herter's don't eject 100% all of the time so have been picking up flats of Federal 16 in 1 oz. when they go on sale. I feed the Sweet 16 a federal first for positive ejection then a Herter's for the second, just in case it hangs. Starting to acquire quite a few Federals but never loaded them. Yet.

The RST are spendy, I shoot enough of the 7/8 oz. a MEC 9000 is worth it to me. The 1 oz. Federals I pick up when I find them on sale at Fleet Farm but most are ordered online when they go on sale. With free shipping of course. The Federals normally run me around $75 a flat. I don't load the 12 or 20 anymore not worth it, to me anyhow. At $75 a flat the Federal's are border line close so I purchase 1 oz. 16 ga. And reload the 7/8 oz. with Ched hulls and Downrange wad.
John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
John Singer wrote:

Hey I live in the same location as you! I make a lot of 7/8 oz. #8 at 1180 fps in my reloading room on my MEC 9000 Smile Unfortunately they are not for the market. I purchase Cheddite hulls preprimed when they go on sale at one of the previously mentioned places. Have also picked up a couple thousand once fired over the last few years. I use 7/8 in most of my guns.

The new Sweet 16 needs a full 1 oz. to cycle reliably and have somewhere around 8 flats of Herters left and of course save the hulls. The Herter's don't eject 100% all of the time so have been picking up flats of Federal 16 in 1 oz. when they go on sale. I feed the Sweet 16 a federal first for positive ejection then a Herter's for the second, just in case it hangs. Starting to acquire quite a few Federals but never loaded them. Yet.

The RST are spendy, I shoot enough of the 7/8 oz. a MEC 9000 is worth it to me. The 1 oz. Federals I pick up when I find them on sale at Fleet Farm but most are ordered online when they go on sale. With free shipping of course. The Federals normally run me around $75 a flat. I don't load the 12 or 20 anymore not worth it, to me anyhow. At $75 a flat the Federal's are border line close so I purchase 1 oz. 16 ga. And reload the 7/8 oz. with Ched hulls and Downrange wad.

I just moved to Rochester this winter..our first grandchild is due next month.

I reload 7/8 oz target loads for my 16 gauge guns. They chronograph at 1230 fps..

I am using up a stockpile of Herter hulls. When the crimps go bad, I cut them to 2.5 inches and load them a few more times.

I have several Federal hills and will likely be loading them soon for my Auto-5 clone.

I also have several RST hulls.

RST shells are above my pay grade.