16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Recent Purchase
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I saw this at a local gun shop and had to have it. Always wanted one with the tang safety and of course 16 bore. 28" Full it should be a decent duck gun with bismuth. No wood cracks and real nice shape. price was right too!
Darryl

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Got one in 16. Only its westernfield. Same gun though.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Very nice!
At 199.00 I would but 2!
About what year is it?
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I suspect the year of manufacture is early 1940's. I have not found a good source of manufacture dates for Stevens firearms. It is actually a 520A the last version of the 520 before it was discontinued. IIRC the 620 soldiered on for a few more years later. Looks like Stevens stopped making the hump back style in 1948. Mine is likely 1941 (no wartime production) or possibly '46 to '48. These were also offered by Sears and Montgomery Ward but made by Stevens. Hope to have it soon and I will do a little field report on it.

Darryl

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

I would consider that a good waterfowl gun with any no-tox shot if you are willing to open the choke a bit. It won't take long for you to shoot over $200 worth of bismuth in a $200 gun that is begging to see a lot of ducks.

madtrapper143
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Won't see a lot of ducks in my area. Bismuth is 250.00 per 100 cartridges right now. Have a buddy with the appropriate reamers so it may become a Modified and start shooting steel.

Darryl

PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:31 am  Reply with quote

madtrapper143 wrote:
I suspect the year of manufacture is early 1940's. I have not found a good source of manufacture dates for Stevens firearms. It is actually a 520A the last version of the 520 before it was discontinued. IIRC the 620 soldiered on for a few more years later. Looks like Stevens stopped making the hump back style in 1948. Mine is likely 1941 (no wartime production) or possibly '46 to '48. These were also offered by Sears and Montgomery Ward but made by Stevens. Hope to have it soon and I will do a little field report on it.

Darryl

So they would be JC Higgins guns, post war, from Sears. Do you have a number designation?
Thanks
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:42 am  Reply with quote

IIRC Sears branded( JC HIGGINS) Stevens guns did not come to Canada until after production ended on the 520 series. Wards was never in Canada so it looks like no catalog branded Stevens 520's were exported to Canada for sale. Any here would be brought into the country by other means. The gun is being shipped to me (I live in a remote area so I refer to any gun shop that sells guns online and ships as "local") should have it next week and I will update on all it's marking etc. The shop said it is marked "Stevens" and has a factory "Stevens" hard rubber butt plate.

Darryl

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:07 am  Reply with quote

madtrapper143 wrote:
Won't see a lot of ducks in my area. Bismuth is 250.00 per 100 cartridges right now. Have a buddy with the appropriate reamers so it may become a Modified and start shooting steel.

Darryl

Where are you seeing Bismuth for $250.00 per 100? Kent Bismuth is currently $32.99 per 25 round box ($131.96 per 100) at Cabela's. If a retailer is selling that quantity for $250, I would imagine they're not selling much.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
madtrapper143 wrote:

Darryl

Where are you seeing Bismuth for $250.00 per 100? Kent Bismuth is currently $32.99 per 25 round box ($131.96 per 100) at Cabela's. If a retailer is selling that quantity for $250, I would imagine they're not selling much.

My bet is because Canada, the Sunset Country. Darryl is only a couple hours drive from where I grouse hunt and then because have to go around BWCA and Quetico Park to get there. In the next year or 2 I plan on making it across the border to the Sunset Country. I will head either in his direction or Lake Nipigon.

Yeah I have switched to Biz for all nontoxic. I hate steel not even open to debate with me. I did pick up ~20 lbs. of Federal HW 15 gr/cc from Rodgers through shells on clearance and will someday get around to pulling the shot and loading them for the 16 also. But with loaded Bismuth at current prices in the US not in a huge hurry.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
madtrapper143 wrote:

Darryl

My bet is because Canada, the Sunset Country. Darryl is only a couple hours drive from where I grouse hunt and then because have to go around BWCA and Quetico Park to get there. In the next year or 2 I plan on making it across the border to the Sunset Country. I will head either in his direction or Lake Nipigon.

Yeah I have switched to Biz for all nontoxic. I hate steel not even open to debate with me. I did pick up ~20 lbs. of Federal HW 15 gr/cc from Rodgers through shells on clearance and will someday get around to pulling the shot and loading them for the 16 also. But with loaded Bismuth at current prices in the US not in a huge hurry.

Good point Mike. I should have taken notice of his location.

I had the same thought in regards to the Federal HW but lack of load data kept me from doing so. The only recipes for the 15gr/cc stuff I could find were from Ballistic Products but they only seem to develop data for their own wads and such.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
Cold Iron wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
madtrapper143 wrote:

Darryl

Good point Mike. I should have taken notice of his location.

I had the same thought in regards to the Federal HW but lack of load data kept me from doing so. The only recipes for the 15gr/cc stuff I could find were from Ballistic Products but they only seem to develop data for their own wads and such.

You always were a smart man Very Happy That is another reason the shot is still sitting in the hulls LOL. Figured I could eventually find more load data but not a lot out there that has been actually tested that I can find. So once I do will make up a few and send them out for testing. I'm not trusting the BP loads as they publish them even with their own components!
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Is upland hunting all non toxic in Canada?

Best,
Ted

fourtown
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Non-toxic is only required for waterfowl in Canada. Unless you hunt with my wife, then non-toxic is required for all game hunting. She has convinced me switched to all no-tox for game. I bought a bunch of the home-rolled hevi shot and bismuth that Maximum Smoke was selling last year. We use Kent Bismuth 6 for grouse in Canada.
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:28 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron send me a PM if you are getting through Atikokan this fall. I will have the coffee pot on and maybe we can fit in a quick grouse walk. Yes bismuth is pricey up here but at least it is available. I am considering having the choke opened a little to possibly light modified. I don't intend to use this gun much for upland work just some evening Woodie and mallard shoots early season.

Darryl