16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Recent Purchase
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron if you are coming through Atikokan this fall drop me a PM. Coffee will be on and maybe we can get out for a quick grouse walk. I am not really planning on using the Stevens as an upland gun but I may have the full opened a little for early season duck shoots for woodies and mallards. Have to see how it patterns bismuth first. I find the Federal steel loadings in 16 bore OK for 35 to 40 yards stuff if I do my part. #2 definitely makes a difference out at those ranges. Over decoys the #4's are OK also. Still Federal steel 16 loads are about 35.00 a box of 25 here also.

Darryl

madtrapper143
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Sorry for the double like post. Server said my post failed.

Darryl

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:28 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
Cold Iron wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:
madtrapper143 wrote:
Won't see a lot of ducks in my area. Bismuth is 250.00 per 100 cartridges right now. Have a buddy with the appropriate reamers so it may become a Modified and start shooting steel.

Darryl

Where are you seeing Bismuth for $250.00 per 100? Kent Bismuth is currently $32.99 per 25 round box ($131.96 per 100) at Cabela's. If a retailer is selling that quantity for $250, I would imagine they're not selling much.

My bet is because Canada, the Sunset Country. Darryl is only a couple hours drive from where I grouse hunt and then because have to go around BWCA and Quetico Park to get there. In the next year or 2 I plan on making it across the border to the Sunset Country. I will head either in his direction or Lake Nipigon.

Yeah I have switched to Biz for all nontoxic. I hate steel not even open to debate with me. I did pick up ~20 lbs. of Federal HW 15 gr/cc from Rodgers through shells on clearance and will someday get around to pulling the shot and loading them for the 16 also. But with loaded Bismuth at current prices in the US not in a huge hurry.

Good point Mike. I should have taken notice of his location.

I had the same thought in regards to the Federal HW but lack of load data kept me from doing so. The only recipes for the 15gr/cc stuff I could find were from Ballistic Products but they only seem to develop data for their own wads and such.

You always were a smart man Very Happy That is another reason the shot is still sitting in the hulls LOL. Figured I could eventually find more load data but not a lot out there that has been actually tested that I can find. So once I do will make up a few and send them out for testing. I'm not trusting the BP loads as they publish them even with their own components!

Great minds, Mike. Great minds.😬

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

I got one of those in 12ga. Heep good medicine for turkey.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"