16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Funny or bizarre hunting stories: Whatcha got?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Oh yeah, good old skunk. A friend related the following story to me:

Mike was up in North Dakota hunting pheasants and another friend of his met him there and they did some hunting together. Mike hunted with a pair of labs at the time and said friend was running a Drahthaar. Now my experience around the wire haired breeds is that they are tough, bold, and will do some impressive things that make you raise an eyebrow. I once saw one pluck a fox from a trap, crush it, and bring it back like a limp mallard.

Well anyway, Mike's dogs are getting on in years and his friend lectures him for hours about why he needs to get a dog like his. The man extolls the virtues and accomplishments his dogs had achieved. Evidently there had been trophies. Then as they march along in the tall grass, said champion charges forth while Mike's dogs veer away wide eyed and tail tucked.

The highly touted beast is closing in fast on one skunk, that up until this point had been minding it's own business. Who was more terrified, the skunk or the audience, I can not say, but the Draht's powerful jaws made quick work of the foul smelling creature, ensuring that every last drop of precious essence was instantly expelled. Quite proud of his catch, the dog performed a perfect retrieve while two men desperately tried to escape. Mike, not being master, was safe, the proud owner, not so much.

After such an impeccable display of drive and performance Mike admits the following, "Yep, that's a World Champion skunk retriever right there; never seen one like him". If there is one constant in bird hunting, it is the fact that as soon as you brag on your dog, it will undoubtedly pull some shenanigan to embarrass you and shrink your head faster than the witch doctor could. They seem to enjoy it.

JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

A Coon Huntin' Story ~ Jerry Clower

https://youtu.be/ev0li6_fFfo

Tough one to beat.
Very Happy
jpm

1947 Browning Automatic-5 (stealth Sweet 16) - ventilated Poly-Choke
1937-42 Savage 430
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

If there is one constant in bird hunting, it is the fact that as soon as you brag on your dog, it will undoubtedly pull some shenanigan to embarrass you and shrink your head faster than the witch doctor could. They seem to enjoy it.

Nicely put!
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:46 am  Reply with quote

This is a little embarrassing but here goes. When I was 16 or 17 I drove to a marsh in the country that I had never hunted before to see if I could find some ducks. I jumped a nice mallard but when I went to retrieve it I was confronted with
a stream too deep to wade across. I put my gun down and walked up and down the stream looking for a place to cross. Couldn't find anything, BUT I did find a discarded mattress. It looked like a floater to me so I dragged it up stream to where I shot the duck, stripped down to my long johns and climbed aboard.

It started to sink pretty much half way. That was bad but quickly became worse when I heard a voice say "how you doing?" I look back and see a game warden looking at me.

I told him I was retrieving a duck I shot and my license was in my pants on the ground. He checked. No problem. Then he asks if I had a plug in the Sweet 16.

Now, I had actually lost the original plug but broke off a small branch which sometimes acted as a plug and sometimes didn't. So I'm thinking about this while I continue to settle in the water. He picks up my gun and checks. I thought I saw him slide in a 4th shell but he just looked at my sorry ass and said "good luck with the duck". I ended up swimming across, found the duck and swam back.

Long cold walk back to the car. But damn, that duck tasted good that night.

Matt
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 am  Reply with quote

citorifeather16,

Best story yet, it's great to be a teenager out hunting on your own. I do hope you now own a good dog!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.c. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers