16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Chasing the.....crimp
TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Gents,

Recently (against my better judgement) decided to mess around with my size master and try a new load with 2.5" shells.

Load I am trying to dial in is a pretty well known load here with 15.4 gr Greend Dot, Cheddite Hulls (once fired RST & Once fired trimmed Herters), SG16 wad, 7/8oz. of shot.

Snagged a short kit for the MEC and tried my first few loads...badly swirled crimp. Ok, need to move Cam up a bit...still swirled, starting to get flare in the crimp end....nudge up some more, back off the punch a turn or two, still swirled, flared, and now have defined "ridges" at the fold where the creases were.

That's the cliff notes version really - won't bore with the dozen or so tweaks, adjustments, etc. I've messed with in the last few days.

I basically want to get back to square zero and try to start in the right direction...where would it be appropriate for me to do so? Cam all the way up and punch backed way off? All the day down and same? Somewhere in the middle?

I've mucked up enough shells that I'd really like to minimize the pile of misfits I'm already going to have to figure out what to do with before I get dialed in.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback, I can try and upload a few pics later when I'm home if it's any help.

Incidental and less important question - any tried and true way to get the flared shells I have more tapered to the point I can get them shot up with minimal struggles? Roll crimper or something work to warm them up and press them or something?

Thanks in advance....
Rob
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
oldog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:27 am  Reply with quote

for hunting loads I finish with a roll crimp. it tapers and regulates case length as well as locking the crimp shut. for targets I dont

TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, never thought much about pre-crimp, seemed to be passing the eyeball test of about a primer or so in diameter but it stands to reason it might be grabbing a bit more plastic when I think about it, will fiddle with it next pass and see where I land.
TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Byrdog, not sure I’m going to bother, may just take these badly flared ones apart.