16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Gauge Steel Goose Load
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:38 am  Reply with quote

From Federal.

This is new to me.https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00129wf168bb/16-gauge-2-34inch-1516-oz-number-bb-speed-shok-high-velocity-shotshells-25-rounds

I have hunted Canada geese with 16 gauge 7/8 oz loads of #1 and B steel.

Has anybody used the above load?

Looks like a neat option.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I haven't used it, but like you have used #1 and #B. I'm thinking BB is a bit too coarse for 16 gauge, both in terms of pellet count and choke passage. My experience shows that #2 actually produces clean kills at an honest 50 yards. #1 did a mighty fine job also. With only 66 pellets, the BB load is a tad sparse. When I honestly need BB, I move up to a bigger bore. At ranges where BB is necessary, you've entered 12 or 10 ga. territory.

Maybe Federal will offer this in #1 soon. That would push the pellet count up to 97 and being two sizes smaller than BB, is more likely to cooperate with 16 ga. chokes.

John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:12 am  Reply with quote

I have not used 16 gauge #2 steel for Canadas.

I will likely have the opportunity incidental to duck hunting sometime.

It has been my experience that 7/8 oz of B or BB steel in 2 3/4" 12 gauge @ 1700 fps is very effective for Canadas.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am  Reply with quote

No concerns with damage with such large shot in vintage guns?
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
No concerns with damage with such large shot in vintage guns?

I have never observed issues with steel shot and any shotgun with nitro proofed barrels and modified or more open choke.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

I go for the humane kill. LEAD.
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, right.

Lead was banned for waterfowl hunting in the US because it continues to kill waterfowl long after its terminal velocity reaches zero.

Is poisoning humane?

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:32 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
From Federal.

This is new to me.https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00129wf168bb/16-gauge-2-34inch-1516-oz-number-bb-speed-shok-high-velocity-shotshells-25-rounds

If anything as was stated I think you'd be hindering your self with that low a pellet count, which I got 65 pellets in a 15/16 oz load.
If I'm adventurous enough to shoot geese with the 16 I use #4 HW13, the results over steel shot IMO make it worth the extra cost.
John Singer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:40 am  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:
John Singer wrote:
From Federal.

If anything as was stated I think you'd be hindering your self with that low a pellet count, which I got 65 pellets in a 15/16 oz load.
If I'm adventurous enough to shoot geese with the 16 I use #4 HW13, the results over steel shot IMO make it worth the extra cost.

I agree with the pellet count issue and the effectiveness of HW 13, but is that load available commercially?

I see the Federal load as one of the very few options for those who wish to hunt geese with the 16 gauge but do not reload.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
Yeah, right.

Lead was banned for waterfowl hunting in the US because it continues to kill waterfowl long after its terminal velocity reaches zero.

Is poisoning humane?

Its had been a proven study that more fowl die from wounds instead of out right kill from lead. Also scientific fact that you wont get lead poisoning from lead untill its heated ove 800 degrees. Which at that point it gasses off. Nullet temp rarely goes over 400 degrees.Very rare and proven that water fowl dont pick lead up from the bottom of ponds or lakes. Read the scientific report. Took my daught to the dr. When she was little for swollowing a 22 bullet. Doctor said dont worry she will pass it. It wont harm her. Unless you eat it everyday for a time. I dont think that will happen.
This all started from the anti hunters and politics for votes which the people were duped.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:00 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
16GAwaterfowler wrote:
John Singer wrote:
From Federal.

I agree with the pellet count issue and the effectiveness of HW 13, but is that load available commercially?

I see the Federal load as one of the very few options for those who wish to hunt geese with the 16 gauge but do not reload.

Reload, I agree, with commercially availble 16 gauge ammo you have very few choices. All I can say is give the BB load a try, I'd pattern it first just to see if your gun will work with that large a pellet.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:42 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
From Federal.

Reload, I agree, with commercially available 16 gauge ammo you have very few choices. All I can say is give the BB load a try, I'd pattern it first just to see if your gun will work with that large a pellet.[/quote]

Ditto, thanks for sharing this option for folks that don't reload John, and when at the pattern board don't over look the more open chokes IC, Skt & Cyl might work well with the larger steel pellets for decoyed birds.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/16-gauge?ss=BB

John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:35 am  Reply with quote

If you are not a reloader, 16 gauge options are limited.

Another source is Sporting Ammo II in Palms, MI.

https://www.facebook.com/sportingammo/

The largest shot size that they offer in steel is #2. It is a 15/16 oz load @ 1450 fps.

I have used their 16 gauge #3 steel for ducks and pheasants and it performs very well.

rdja
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:18 am  Reply with quote

Big difference between a human and a bird ingesting a lead pellet/bullet. In humans they will generally pass as humans do not have gizzards. The gizzard grinds the pellet into much smaller and more absorbable form. With all the reports of predatory birds and scavengers developing lead poisoning form eating carcasses of lead bullet killed animals, we are slowly but surely headed toward not using lead at all for hunting. Not sure how I feel about that, but now we have plenty of quality alternatives. Biggest thing the hunter can do is to improve his/her shooting abilities. Don't blame the load.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:24 am  Reply with quote

Bismuth is a viable option for the 16 gauge.Also the abolition of lead for shotshells would result in many folks giving up the sport of hunting due to increased costs.Folks with a interest who post on forums would most probably hang in there. However cost would drive away a great many average hunters just as it did with waterfowlers.