16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Ammo for new A5
rdja
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:49 am  Reply with quote

I’m about to pick up a NIB A5 16ga from a member. I have read that it needs 1oz at a minimum of 1150 fps to cycle. No factory shells in the area so either do a Cabelas ship to store of Rem game loads or load my own. I currently have International clays a few WAA16 wads and Win 209primers and a lot of Cheditte hulls. Can get other powders locally and wads on online. Have access to the spreadsheets but am wondering what you guys like for a 1oz load. Also has anyone loaded a 7/8 load at higher speed and got it to cycle the gun? Since lead is the biggest cost of reloading a 7/8 oz load would help save some.
What are your thoughts.
Thanks
Nate
rdja
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:22 am  Reply with quote

Anyone, want to share a favorite 1 oz load?
Has anyone had success loading 7/8 oz for the new A5?
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Using a recoil calc, looks like ~1300fps 7/8 should be approx equal recoil.

I have no experience with the new A5, but with most cyclomatics I'd run a flat of factory loads at 1oz to start off. RGL's are nice and stout for a 1oz load, and should get you through the break in period easy.

Then you can start trying your loads, once you have determined the base-line reliability and worked some slickness in the rails. (Could be frustrating messing around with load combos and having problems only to find out that your particular gun actually has issues with factory loads... I've had some finicky Browning auto's in the past, some experience there, just not the new A5

Oh, and clean the snickers out of the gun after the break in, compete break down cleaning.

Best of luck.
rdja
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Good call, running new losds thru first. I have used cheap, heavy 31/2 inch waterfowl loads to break in my 12 ga semi-autos. I did clean it fully to remove the packing grease they put in all new firearms. I am pretty sure I can get a ship to store of RGLs, unless they have free shipping deal going on.

Thanks.
Nate
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase,theyre wonderful guns. I think if you use the search function here you'll see this was discussed a lot when the gun came out. Some guns would function rite away with 7/8 oz, others would have problems even with certain 1oz loads(Herters?). If you order in a flat of RGL's for breakin,youd then be able to reload them with the components you list. The claybuster AA16 7/8 oz and 1oz wads are the way to go for the RGL's. For your cheddites, get some DR16 wads for 7/8oz and SG16 wads for one oz. You can use your Intl and w209s in both hulls.

rdja
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Great plan Savage, I got a flat of RGLs from Cabelas with free shipping, but the estimated May 6th. Was at a gun store looking for powder and they had a flat of Fiocchi for $95. So I bought that and turned out the RGLs had been delivered already. The Fiocchi are 1oz @1300. So between those two cases that should get her broken in.
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I was going to the gunclub today, so took along my Sweet 16 and chrono. Load is Winchester game load(cheddite) w209,7/8oz,16.0 International,DR16. Got 1112,1122,1113,1114,1089. Gun would not function;FTE. Also, had never shot any factory Estates before. For some reason they call their one ounce at a listed 1165 as a Heavy game load. 1175,1175,1183,1194,1186.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 am  Reply with quote

My 1oz load is with 20/28. 21gr ,cheddite hull with cheddite wad or altered claybuster wad. Corno 1227, 1246, 1247, yade,yade,yade. But thats out of my citori. My trap load. Should function your A5.
Very clean load. Its published on the yahoo site.
Somenody here can give you the avenue to get to the web sight.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

I use 20.5 gr of 800X in a 2 1/2" Cheddite hull with SG16S (short) wads and Cheddite primers delivering about 1230 fps.

I went all in with 800X, buying a bunch of it last week at $15/lb. since it has been so reliable and sturdy. But it isn't the easiest flowing powder, and loads must be periodically weighed because the density seems to vary from lot to lot.

I have this inkling that the 16ga is more picky with powders than 12ga because of the slight volumetric advantage of the 12ga. For example, Red Dot is very popular with 12 ga, but it is hard to find a good Red Dot load for 1 oz 16ga which is unfortunate because someone just gave me a giant keg of it.

Bottom line, if you find something that works good, then go with it.

B.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

Red Dot loads nice 5/8 oz. and 3/4 oz. rounds with the DR16 wad. 800X? I bet I've bought more of that stuff than any other powder. It can do a lot of things very well.

rdja
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I started a thread in the Guns forum about my first day shooting the new 16.