16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Suggestions for a 16 O/U
Chukar60
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 am  Reply with quote

I recently joined the 16 fold. My first is a Sauer & Sohn 1929 SXS. I have been shooting it and am having a time of adjusting to this whole SXS thing.
I have been shooting O/U's for quite a number of years.
I will keep working on my skills with the Sauer, but am contemplating a nice O/U in 16.
Problem I have is that quality O/U's in 16 are a scarce breed.
No offense to the Citori fans here, but they just do not feel good to me unless it is the Superlight which is, in my opinion a misnomer. The gun is anything but a lightweight shotgun.

So, I turn to the experts for some suggestions.
Single or double trigger is fine. one thing that the SXS has taught me is an appreciation of the double trigger system.
df
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Not a lot of options
Mine is a Citori heritage, that shoot well
Believe cesar guereni makes one
rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 am  Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you will not find a 16 gauge in the Caesar Guerini Line Up. I wish they offered one as I love all my CGs. I have a Browning 525 Sporting. They were run a few times in 28/30 and 32" barrels, but small runs and they typically hold their value extremely well.

There were a couple of offerings at the Shot Shot from Browning. So check there web site.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:37 am  Reply with quote

FAIR/Rizzini?

The Franchi 16 should be under six pounds, they are production guns, and no “nicer” than the citori, but a bit more euro-styled than the citori.

Might find an older falconette, not sure if they were all ST or not?

I have a 30’s vintage Belgian O/U which was designed and produced by JMB’s protege. It’s a minor project gun, but very unique. With the move coming up, I’ve been thinning the herd some, although haven’t gotten that deep into the safe just yet..
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:38 am  Reply with quote

I’m assuming the Marlin 90 is out in the above post...
wahoo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Chukar, out of curiosity, have you tried the Citori in 16ga? I shoot a superposed in 12ga which certainly is on the heavy side, and have several 6lb doubles in 16 to compare. I have been very impressed with my wife’s white lightning citori in the 16ga frame. Weight is about 6.75 Lbs. but very nicely balanced and not so heavy for all around use. When I pick it up and mount it, it doesn’t feel like a nearly 7lb gun. Her’s is the 28” bbl. What weight range are you seeking? In these years of shooting O/U’s, what guns have you liked best? What price range are you comfortable with for the 16?

Perhaps something like this?

http://rizziniusa.com/hunting/artemis

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
4setters
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Some others:

https://barrettsovereign.com/rutherford/

https://www.franchiusa.com/upland-shotguns

mw

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Chukar60
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

I have 2 Beretta 686 with 26” barrels that I like, but both take a back seat to the 26” 20 ga early 50’s Superposed.
I have a Citori Superlight in 28 ga with 26” barrels that I like, but feel the weight is anything but super light and the actual weight of it rather defeats half the reason to shoot a 28. Yeah the cool factor is there, but I think it is actually heavier than my Superposed, I can say that it handles better to me than the 20 ga Citori I shot.
I shot a Griefelt 16 once that I was really impressed with. The downside there is scarcity and the small treasury required to buy one.
I have been told that a Merkel is similar to the Griefelt but have never handled one and, once again.
The area in which I live is not known as a honey hole for nice shotguns of european descent. I would be super fortunate to find a Citoriin 16 here,
Montana16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Merkel 200E in 16 gauge and really enjoy it. Quality craftsmanship and handling dynamics are great.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:21 am  Reply with quote

A friend has been shooting one of the FAIR Rizzini 16's for quite a number of years. He loves it. I have handled it and know why, it's top notch.

The new Savage 555 guns (alloy frame) are supposed to be fairly light and are gaining a following. I have an ATI (same gun with minor cosmetic changes) in 12 ga. and it is very light. I don't get along with it's stock measurements, but it is light and quick.

Others mention the Franchi, and plenty has been said about them here and on our Facebook page as of recent. It is another alloy frame gun if I remember right.

Some of the Merkel guns are beautiful. I never grew fond of how their SxS guns look, but O/U's are quite fetching. They fetch quite a price too though. I guess it all depends on budget.

For Citori guns, I understand. There is the matter of the Superlight Feather (also alloy frame) however, it's a different situation. One of those may please you.

Back to your Sauer, if you don't get along that well with it, don't assume that all SxS guns will treat you the same. Don't be afraid to handle others if you get a chance. I have owned a variety of both O/U and SxS guns, and not all of them worked out the same. The best example is a pair of O/U guns made by different manufacturers that were basically copies of one another to the naked eye. I loved one and absolutely hated the other.

Good luck on your quest, you have months to play with this stuff before it's time to hunt quail and...the Devil Bird.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:22 am  Reply with quote

Delete-double post

rkittine
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:14 am  Reply with quote

I like my FAIR/Rizzini 16 gauge SxS a lot. I should have realized that they probably had an over and under also. I will have to check all their offerings.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:31 am  Reply with quote

The Merkel is the first thing I thought of after reading the OP. Do they still make em in 16 though? Didn’t see a 16 offered on their site. They are so well built that I wouldn’t be opposed to finding a good used one if not. What do those generally weigh?

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:13 am  Reply with quote

To the OP, I am curious, what are the nature of your difficulties shooting a SxS?

I know from my own experience, I do not shoot a SxS well on a trap range, however, for skeet, sporting clays, and on game birds, I shoot it very well.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Chukar60,

I doubt it's the J.P. Sauer double gun that is your problem, they shoot where you point for sure, unless the gun does not fit you correctly. I have an 1880's 16 Gauge J.P. Sauer Best Grouse Gun that is one deadly bird gun, fit me perfectly, swings well and really puts the birds down. I grew up shooting L.C. Smith double guns in the Grouse woods and the J.P Sauer 16 is the same kind double gun.

If you are having trouble shooting the 1929 J.P. you might want to make sure it fits you properly and maybe also take some advanced shooting lessons with your double gun.

There is a difference in a single and double sight plane and sometimes it take some getting use to for man who has grown up shooting O/U guns all his life.

Check out the new Rizzini 16 gauge guns they are quite nice.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers