16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Suggestions for a 16 O/U
Chukar60
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I am not ready to give up on the Sauer. It feels too good in my hands and it points where I am looking.
Pine Creek, you may be right that the wider sight plane is causing some issues. I have an SKB 200E in 20 gauge that was my first SXS. It took some getting used to but after a couple days spent chasing quail with it, I started hitting the little speed balls fairly regular. I just dont like the gun as it swings like a willow switch and I really have to slow myself down to hit with it.
I am thinking about the O/U in case the Sauer and I cannot come to terms. Plus another gun is never a bad idea if you can afford it.
I am thinking about taking the Sauer out and shooting some clays with it when business will allow. Me thinks I just need more time behind the muzzle.
rdja
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I have shot OUs and mostly autos for the best part of my adult life. Got into the nostalgia of hunting with a SxS. Always felt the wide barrels would affect me as I have a tendency to look at the barrel anyway. However, if I shoot “properly” and hard focus on the target, then I don’t see the barrels at all, whether a single or double wide barrel. Your idea of shooting clays is a good idea and work on hard focus on the target. Easier to do that hunting, looking at the bird but practice with clays will give you the confidence you need to become “one with the gun”.
Have fun.
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Chukar60 wrote:
I am not ready to give up on the Sauer. It feels too good in my hands and it points where I am looking.
Pine Creek, you may be right that the wider sight plane is causing some issues. I have an SKB 200E in 20 gauge that was my first SXS. It took some getting used to but after a couple days spent chasing quail with it, I started hitting the little speed balls fairly regular. I just dont like the gun as it swings like a willow switch and I really have to slow myself down to hit with it.
I am thinking about the O/U in case the Sauer and I cannot come to terms. Plus another gun is never a bad idea if you can afford it.
I am thinking about taking the Sauer out and shooting some clays with it when business will allow. Me thinks I just need more time behind the muzzle.

I think your issues are two fold. First the sight plane, and manner of shooting. I’d suggest less aiming and more pointing. The above comment on the hard focus on target, or more importantly where you want the shot to go is spot on. On going away shots there is no left to right lead, or very little. There’s not usually a great vertical compensation, on game at least, sporting clays can throw some fast falling or rising targets though. Anyway focusing on the intercept of the shot and game/target factors in the lead. This is assuming the gun fits, and your mount is predictable. That’s something that is easily figured out at the pattern board.

Second, the whippy light gun effect. Using an instinctive shooting style and stance will solve this. Basically you use the mass of your body to control swing and provide follow through. It’s very natural, and much more zen style of wingshooting. Get a copy of Ken Davies “The Better Shot”. Most aspects of instinctive shooting cross back over to heavier guns too, so you won’t really be switching etween two systems of thought/practice.

On the other hand I’m always looking for another Sauer... Very Happy
16'er
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805351018
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

Ditch the messed up front sight in favor of a bead and that's not too bad a gun there.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Ditch the messed up front sight in favor of a bead and that's not too bad a gun there.

Oh I don't know, I have that sight on many of my guns Very Happy

That is a good deal, and good gun. The Verona was made by FAIR and I have a 12 ga. Verona I got for my son. I also have a FAIR made for NEA in 16 ga. with both 28" and 30" bbls. You can still get a 30" inch for that Verona if you want through IFG in Texas.

I use the 30" for clays and 28" on birds. With purple shells of course.

That is a decent price for a decent gun.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:58 am  Reply with quote

It's still messed up on that GB gun. Two photos show it sitting very crooked.

As to personal choice. I owned a gun with one of those sights and shot well with it. I didn't like the fact that it was orange though. It was like every time you pulled the trigger, you were shooting at an orange hat. Not a good habit to form. It was also a bit distracting as it screamed for my focus that needed to be on the bird instead. A black Sharpie solves that rather easily though!

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:28 am  Reply with quote

All it takes is a flat head screwdriver to set the site straight. Every one of my dedicated clay guns have them. You can change out the light pipes to different sizes and colors.

The first sight like that was the Ithaca Ray Bar, it came out in 1955. A lot of people grew up with them as I did.

They were sold for $2 as a replacement at most gun stores, back in the day when there was such a thing Sad

Still have one on my 16 ga. 37 solid rib deluxe.

My 16ga. 37 Ribbed Vent Deluxe has\had one.

But Savage16 helped me get it to his gunsmith (and Dave Erickson's) and it is being replaced with a white Bradley bead. Which I also like, most likely because the Ithaca Knick ribs had white beads. Real Ivory

I shoot off the end of the barrel as long as I don't have to float the bird with a gun that has a high POI so could most likely use any type of bead. Hard focus, hard focus. Head on the stock and eye on the rock Very Happy
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

For years I shot an Ithaca Flues double with no bead at all.

16'er
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Never hurts to dream...

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/krieghoff-shotguns/krieghoff-model-ulm-dural-sidelock-o-u-shotgun-in-16-70-from-1976-with-high-grade-walnut-stock-.cfm?gun_id=101222787