16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  The situation regarding Cabela's & Herters ammunition.
Bill K
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

I stopped by my local Cabela's in Hudson MA on Saturday, and had a conversation with someone stocking ammo who actually knew what he was talking about.

The situation regarding Cabela's & Herters ammunition is, when Bass Pro bought them out, the decision was made to close out the ammunition production contracts held with Herters - even though they were still good for another five years.

Utterly ridiculous.

As for the moment they've found someone to produce pistol ammunition, long gun ammo is probably not coming back, and they can't find anyone to produce shotgun ammunition for low amount of money they want to pay.

Herters ammunition was a successful product line. So much so that in my local Cabela's it was on display away from the main ammunition area - presumably so ammo buyers would encounter the typical higher priced ammo products made by Winchester, Remington and Federal first.

Typically people had to be aware that Herters ammunition was available, and then ask where it was - at the Massachusetts store that was in the archery department.

When the Herters ammunition was repositioned near the firearms counter it sold out fast.

I'm guessing the decision to cancel out those contracts with Herters was made by an 'MBA' who likely has little to no experience in the shooting sports, yet feels that they know better than the buying public. And even if you showed them they are wrong in undeniable black on white - they'd never admit they're wrong.

MBA's will be the ruination of the United States iof America.
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

This creates market opportunity for someone else, if so and it effects their bottomline they will either reverse or they accept the losses.

Cabela’s is mostly a clothes place in terms of retail space and to the deer/turkey/ & bass fishing crowd, none of that is my focus.

Big box is designed for the big audience and niches like USA 16ga shooters are beyond their knowledge, must less their focus.

Big conglomerates focus on the best profit margins. I don’t buy much from Cabela’s, but when I did it was Ammo in quantity. Nowadays there are many mail sources for what I shoot and I stock pile.

These days I have over 6,000 16ga shells on hand in a wide variety of loading with the majority being 2 1/2 inch. I back that with reloading and have more components on hand than I bother t count; Enough for 10,000 plus in powder and shot.

1stgun
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Bill K wrote:

MBA's will be the ruination of the United States of America.

I don't have a PhD, But I do have a DD214!

Regards,

Chuck

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

AND

"I slept at the Holiday Inn last night!"

Smile

John Singer
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Is it possible that recently implemented tariffs may have affected the economy of importing Herters shotgun shells?

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Some of the decision to get rid off certain product lines may have come down to available warehouse space.

It does seem foolish to cancel a contract for such affordable and popular ammunition, but there may be other forces at work here. Consider the following: Bass Pro may be under contract obligation to carry only certain lines of ammunition in order to get a lower contract price, a non competence clause of sorts. In other words "We'll meet this price if you promise not to carry competing products x, y, and z".

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:37 am  Reply with quote

What happened to supply and demand.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:07 am  Reply with quote

Gasoline prices taught me to ignore that one. Gas prices often goes up at times when demand is actually down.

Another "supply and demand" mystery. I have tried to convince a local hardware store to carry more cutting discs in their welding department. Their reply was that Forney determines what and how much gets stocked. They only restock every 3 months. So I asked the following "You mean to tell me that if you tell them that you can sell more of their product and make them more money, they will turn you down?" The reply was "Yep", and so the cycle of empty shelves continued. I changed both, my tooling and supplier. Sometimes you just have to find a better solution and walk away from stupidity.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 am  Reply with quote

It figures that we finally had a good source of quality, affordable 16ga ammo, and it was yanked within a few years. Sigh. I was at my local sportsman's warehouse and they only had a few boxes of 16ga ammo, and many hundreds of boxes of 12's and 20's. Depressing. Back to shooting 12's at targets, because I don't want to spend $10/box for target ammo, or spend a bunch of time reloading.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Amen on the affordable ammo. I guess I have to make time to load 100 a night for a couple months and build the supply back up. At Least I have thousands of the Herters empties. I likes them they patterned good and crushed targets I used my points bought 10 flats at a time $60 each less all the points and free shipping it was sweet while it lasted. I couldn't even load a flat for that kind of money. I can't remember my last calculation on primer, powder, wad and shot but seem to remember is was $5 a box or over.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

I'm loading 5/8 oz. target loads using Promo, Cheddite 209's, and DR16 wads for under $4 per box. I doesn't take long to load them on the 650 as long as I use RGL's or WW CF hulls so I don't need fillers.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:54 am  Reply with quote

I'm set up to load Herters with 18 gr green dot, win primer, Dr16 with 7/8 oz magnum shot right around $4.90 per box. I have a 9000g loader that cranks them out. Not hard to do but very hard to find time or make time. All my spare time is spent shooting, working the dogs and hunting. I really don't enjoy loading I guess because once I start I want to do 500 at a time load up about 20 flats and forget about loading for 6-10 months. My 9000 really hates the RGL's the mouth is almost closed on most and the wad rips the shell mouth. I have to use a cordless drill and a plump bob to open up all the case mouths. Then they load real nice with 3/4 oz of shot and the DR16. Charles Hammack's wad is my go to wad. He made it possible to load light shot charges in the 16 Gauge without fillers. I know he will never make all the money back that he spent developing it but I am trying to help him and like the wad. I think I have been through about 17k of them. The Herters ammo being no longer available will help his cause.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:26 am  Reply with quote

The deal I make myself when I need more ammo, since the loader is in the house, is that each time I look at it I have to load a quick box! Or at least 10 rounds. It's amazing how fast it piles up that way and I don't have to sit down for an hour to load.

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I try to do almost all my reloading over the winter;often on those wonderful MN minus 30 nites. Gotta make lemonade out of lemons when you can

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Perhaps the hull that can be loaded over 100 times might just ought to come alive one of these days as well.

Thanks everyone for using the dr-16 , I sure do love shooting my 5/8- 3/4 oz loads , no recoil and takes care of all my hunting and target needs with no detached retina's or cervical problems like I used to have with 32 or 28 gram loads 24 gram is heavy enough for anything that could possibly be hunted.

Regards, Nick