16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Sweet 16 first impressions
rdja
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Received this NIB gun from a member here, got it home and immediately cleaned out all the packing grease. Then rain set in and no time to shoot. Finally had a chance to get it out and shoot some sporting clays. I found a case of Fiocchi 1 oz loads at 1300 fps in a gun store for $95. Shot them figured the higher velocity would be good for break in and would tell me about recoil. First time out with this gun I shot fair being a new gun, its very light, took some getting used to, and I think I need to add a small spacer. Gun mount seems inconsistent, need a bit more length. Overall, shot OK, and was VERY surprised by the lack of perceived recoil, I shot about 95 rounds, not a bit of shoulder soreness that night or next day. Have not weighed the gun yet, but seems lighter than my 20 ga Beretta A400. Disassembled when I got home to let it air out. I ususally do that with my autos, just in case of any condensation due to humidity and temp changes from inside to out. Again was surprised how clean the bolt was, and nothing on the magazine tube. Being used to shooting gas autos, I expect a dirty mag tube, pleasant surprise. Plan to give it one or two more outings, then do a super clean, then try out some higher velocity 7/8 loads.
Overall very impressed with the gun, cycled consistently, occasionally a shell dropped in the opening would not feed right, end of the shell got tipped up somehow and would not feed. Never a problem cucling up from the magazine. I just had to pull the bolt back, let it go and then it would slide in. I shot a friend 12 ga A5 a cople years ago and noticed recoil significantly, so teh 16 really surprised me. Not sure I do ALOT of clays with it, but definately enough to get comfortable and confident for hutning season.
If something changes I'll let you know but it looks like a "keeper".
Nate
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:26 am  Reply with quote

I have couple hunting seasons under my belt with mine . Shot mostly dove and snipe , a few ducks , and a couple clean up pheasant shoots .

It performed well for all those . I think it is a fantastic all around field gun .
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting review---Hate to lose those empties(especially 16's) on the local clays courses--
rdja
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Interesting review---Hate to lose those empties(especially 16's) on the local clays courses--

That's why I carry a Mojo stick. Magnet at the end of a stick. Not having to bend over to pick up hulls anymore--PERFECT
https://www.amazon.com/MOJO-Outdoors-Magnetic-Shotgun-Retriever/dp/B00CJRO648

I frequently pick up other hulls just to clean it up some.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Have not shot mine since I worked up a load it would function well consistently. That was awhile ago been busy scouting and chasing gobblers which I used to be fairly good at! I'll get back to it soon enough. Pull the Pro matic and Easy Bird and shot a couple hundred before I venture to the clay's course. The Fiochhi 1 oz. and 1300 were snappy on both ends as I recall. I do like the empty hulls for reloading.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

I have a really strong and long magnet on a broom stick , That I bought from Jugchoke over at SGW it works great .I can pick up at least 15 empties before having to pull them off.

I Don't loose many .
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:10 am  Reply with quote

rdja wrote:
hoashooter wrote:

That's why I carry a Mojo stick. Magnet at the end of a stick. Not having to bend over to pick up hulls anymore--PERFECT
https://www.amazon.com/MOJO-Outdoors-Magnetic-Shotgun-Retriever/dp/B00CJRO648

I frequently pick up other hulls just to clean it up some.

Love my MOJO stick, used it last night shooting sporting clays. I use the T-REIGN Retractable Gear Tether belt clip to hold it by my side when I shoot. The weight of the stick stretches it a few inches, enough for the stick to be out of the way but still can drop my hand to grab it when I move to the next station. After I pickup my hulls, and often others also. Everyone that sees it and shoots a shell chucker loves it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HYDCYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Herter's don't completely eject reliably from my Sweet 16 so I shoot a Federal first then a Herter's.

fn16ga wrote:
I have a really strong and long magnet on a broom stick , That I bought from Jugchoke over at SGW it works great .I can pick up at least 15 empties before having to pull them off.

I Don't loose many .

Got to watch that jugchoke feller on SGW about a dozen years ago he convinced me I needed a screw in polychoke on my BUL. However it does work well on the BUL.

But that is not a 16 ga. of course, my Sweet last fall grouse hunting after Briley took the barrel down to 23" for grouse hunting.

UncleDanFan took care of that steep radius grip for me and I got it back from him yesterday. Less than 4 hours later was out shooting sporting clays with it he did a fantastic job to say the least!! Will get pictures later and post it up.
rdja
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Thniking of having mine turned into a straight stock if all continues to go well with it. Hope the weather holds this weekend and I can get some more shooting in.
rdja
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am  Reply with quote

Round two yesterday. Shot much better with the spacer added. Actually shot very well. Adjusting to the weight and not whipping it. Same load, recoil was there but not harsh at all. This one is a keeper for sure. On disassembly did notice a small crack in the stock just behind the trigger that was not there before. Need to send a pic to Browning.
Deadeye8
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Would love be to seee a POW grip on these...

Bill K
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I found your forum topic to be an interesting 'read'.

I was surprised to read your comment that your NIB Sweet 16 weighs less than your Beretta A400 20.

I owned a Sweet Sixteen that was made either in the 1960s or 70s, it had a Jap barrel on it with screw in chokes. I really didn't like it and wound up selling it - I considered it to be a 'dated piece', and it wasn't that light weight.

I am extremely weight conscious - my friend owns a an A400 in 20, and I have an A400 in 28 - those are light weight guns, exactly what I am looking for.

There was photo in one of the replies to your original post - looks like I'll have to take a look at a new Sweet 16.

Thanks for your post - its given me something to consider.

Oh yeah, I currently own a Browning Citori Upland in 16 which I love - I formerly owned the vintage Sweet Sixteen I mentioned, and a Fox double circa 1934 with a straight stock
rdja
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 am  Reply with quote

I have an older Belgium "stealth" Sweet 16, has a shorter barel and a Poly choke. That is a much heavier gun. For me too heavy to lug in the upland fields and pretty much sits in the back of the safe. I much prefer my Beretta 16 SxS that is around 6-6.25 pounds, and now the new A5 Sweet, I have not weighed it yet, but holding a gun in each hand, feels slightly lighter than the A400.

Worked up some 7/8 oz loads and waiting for a chance to see if they will cycle OK.
chilly460
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 am  Reply with quote

I'd be very surprised if the A5 is lighter than the A400 20ga. I have both guns, the A5 is a 26", A400 is a 28". The A400 is 5lb10oz, the A5 is 5lb14oz.

So, equal barrel length, the A400 would be 5-6oz lighter. However, with guns in hand, I could see how the A5 feels lighter, they both balance well but the extremely light buttstock on the A5 does make it feel quite light IMO.
Bill K
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Boy - I hear you regarding weight -

HOWEVER !, I did some research and, if posted propaganda is to be believed, the new Browning Sweet Sixteen DOES weigh less than the Beretta A400 in 20 GA

Beretta A400 20 GA 6 pounds even

Browning Sweet Sixteen 5 pounds 13 ounces !

In my opinion the day of the 'steel' action shotgun is over, I was completely fed up with feeling exhausted carrying 7 pound + guns.

Regarding 'vintage' Sweet Sixteens - I know that they did due diligence in trying to get the weight down, but nothing as compared to some of the guns available now.

My Beretta A400 28 GA weighs 5 pounds 8.6 ounces

This new A5 Sweet Sixteen has certainly tickled my curiosity.
Thinblueline
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:01 am  Reply with quote

I shot my new Sweet 16 last night for the first time. I used Remington game loads of 1 ounce of shot at 1200 FPS. My first impression was that the gun kicked like a mule. Having said that, I’ve had two extensive surgeries on my right shoulder, so I can’t kick my right elbow out to the side very well, and as a result I don’t think I really get a proper mount of the butt stock into my shoulder pocket. Undoubtedly too much of my muscle is taking a direct hit.

One other peculiar thing I noticed is that out of 50 shots, loading only one shell at a time on the trap range, about a half dozen times the bolt slammed shut on an empty chamber, rather than remaining open as it should when empty.

The gun sure does handle nicely and looks sweet too.