16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RIO.Hulls
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:33 am  Reply with quote

Ive used RIO hulls in the past with great success. 8 to 10 reloads before the hull s get soft and bend. That was the white see thru type. I've noticed that while they bought a new manufacturing facility in Texas there were no 16 hulls on the market. They dried up. I called RIO in Texas about the 16 hull and loaded ammo. Was told as soon as they get caught up on backorders due to delay of settling in to new facility they would be producing both. That was last summer. Haven't seen the hulls at distributors yet. The hulls were great.
Any one eles seen any.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:25 am  Reply with quote

I've got about 100 once fired 16 gauge RIO's that were given to me, you can have every one of them if you want. Just my opinion on this but compared to the 16 gauge Cheddites the Rios aren't worth the effort to reload.
oldog
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:15 am  Reply with quote

RIO's at BPI

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:
I've got about 100 once fired 16 gauge RIO's that were given to me, you can have every one of them if you want. Just my opinion on this but compared to the 16 gauge Cheddites the Rios aren't worth the effort to reload.

The factory rio's for some reason aren't for squat to reload.but the clear Rio hulls I purchases seemeld to last forever. Could be just the name on the hull but made by another manufacture.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:17 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
16GAwaterfowler wrote:

The factory rio's for some reason aren't for squat to reload.but the clear Rio hulls I purchases seemeld to last forever. Could be just the name on the hull but made by another manufacture.

Your not kidding, every recipe that I've tried in them is either way under crimp height or over filling the hull so you can't crimp them.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:39 am  Reply with quote

The RIO hulls are fine it is some of the reload data that sucks.

Use the same data you are using in the Cheddite hulls and things go a lot better.

I do not change data when it comes to these straight wall hulls as there is very little difference in the final outcome. Especially when the data is for 1 1/8 oz. lead loads and lighter.

The only hulls I use different data for is the Remington RGL’s, and the very few Winchester cf hulls I have left.

YMMV