16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fiocchi High Velocity vs Federal Game Shok
Thinblueline
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hello everyone. New member here. Bought my first 16 gauge a few weeks ago but haven’t even shot it yet. I picked up one of the new Browning Sweet 16’s with a 26” barrel. I’ve been looking for a reasonably priced game load and I’d like to shoot 1 1/8 ounces of 7 1/2’s at ruffed grouse in northern Wisconsin, and 1 1/8 ounces of 6’s at sharp tails in North Dakota.

I found an on-line source offering fair prices on cases of both the Fiocchi High Velocity and Federal Game Shok, but I thought I’d check with you 16 gauge experts for your opinions before I make a purchase. I should preface my request for opinions by stating that I have no reloading equipment and I have little or no concern over how well or how many times the hulls can be reloaded. I’m strictly wondering about the quality of their components and their reputation for proper cycling through a semi-automatic. I’d be grateful if you can give me your thoughts on both of these, and which one you would choose. I’m sure you guys are aware the federals are a little more expensive, and I’m wondering if that equates to better performance.

I know the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants are also very popular, albeit a lot more expensive, and I’m also wondering if the nickel plated shot is all that separates the High Velocity from the Golden Pheasant in the Fiocchi line up, and if it is worth the dramatic increase in cost to upgrade to nickel plated shot, if that’s the only difference.

Thanks for your help!
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Thinblueline

Welcome on your first posting

Sorry, I can not answer your question all I have left in 16GA semis is an OLD A-5, 3 shot and a Rem 1100 and they gobble everthing.

Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

The 1 1/8 oz Federals have always performed well for me on wild pheasants. No experience with the Fiocchi's other than the Golden Pheasants.
16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

I’d see if your Walmart has the federal game shok 1oz loads in stock. Then head to a patterning board and run a few rounds of clays. If they leave you wanting for anything at that point, I’d be surprised. The cost difference for the extra 1/8 ounce likely won’t get you any more results, but you could test from there if you need to. Maybe a chukar preserve hunt next fall? I find 7.5’s in federal game shok are very adequate out to 40-45 yards on chukar.

The fiocchi loads I have used are ok, but I prefer the Federals most of the current large loading offerings. Many RST fans here and if your looking at Golden Pheasants, the RST copper plated 1200fps is in that range. The shorter shell is no handicap in the 1oz load.

Welcome to the board, and enjoy the new sweet sixteen...
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Great gun pick for your first 16ga. You might want to try the Remington gameload 1oz too. I've used them on both grouse and pheasants.

Bret
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 am  Reply with quote

I have shot both of those loads. I prefer the federal but on paper both patterned well enough to kill birds. I like those federal loads in 6's for late season chukar.

Ive had success with the 1 oz load also as someone else suggested. I like that load for ruffed grouse.

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
oldog
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:17 am  Reply with quote

my experience with plated shot has shown that is is no better than black shot. the Federal loads are very good. The Fiocchi have a little more recoil,not an issue with your gun, so the price may the deciding factor.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:04 am  Reply with quote

They are both great, but I'd lean towards the Federals. And they're purple too, which is of course very important. Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:09 am  Reply with quote

I'm with old dog on this one. Often times the plated shot I have encountered was actually softer than good 5% antimony "black" lead. Of course ammo companies do not have the decency to advertise antimony content, so you pay your money and take your chances. The pattern board will tell you the truth. Try your choices and pick the winner.

T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:36 am  Reply with quote

I've used the Golden Pheasant #5 with great success on Phez. Never tried the Federal. I thought the nickel plate was supposed to make the shot not drag as many feathers into the bird on impact and thus penetrate better?
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Both are good for sharptails but I'd use 1 ounce Federals for ruffs...don't need the extra shot. Good load for Timberdoodles too.
Thinblueline
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I’ll probably pick up a couple cases of federals.
Milo
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have not used Fiocchi but I have used Wing Shok pheasant hunting in North Dakota. The #5 shot worked great. Not sure I'd ever try anything else on wild prairie roosters. I've found the game shok works great for doves, grouse and huns.

Michael

Current 16 gauge shotguns

Browning BPS Special Field 26"
Browning 525 26"
Franchi Instinct SL 28"